Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 6:16 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2858post #42857 of 1224162/5/13 at 4:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by sqroot3
My Marlow wingtips have the same thing on one shoe. I'm not sure exactly what's causing it, but it does not seem as if it will ever go away. I second the notion to return or exchange if it really bothers you. Sometimes I wish I had, even though it's not a huge deal.post #42858 of 1224162/5/13 at 4:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood
I have to say that there are some extremely unusual styles in that list of Shoemart seconds. Some very nice and some very very dubious. I suppose we like a certain subset of styles here on this thread (setting aside choice of material), but I wonder who the heck Alden is making all these oddball shoes for.Quote:
FWIW, I contacted them about 3 pairs of suede tassels in my size. They responded that they were posted erroneously and that they do not actually have the shoes about which I inquired.Quote:
I would have thought that it would have brushed out in 15 min. Maybe not the gash, but at least the color should have evened out. If you say it didn't work, than I have no reason to doubt you.
Are you TRYING to taunt me? They look great BTW. Go great with the pants.post #42859 of 1224162/5/13 at 4:41pmpost #42860 of 1224162/5/13 at 5:05pm
First post after reading the official Alden thread this past month trying to get educated on all things Alden (I've decided that, despite my desire to be thorough and not embarrass myself on this forum given my Alden-illiteracy, it is highly unlikely I can read through all 2860 pages of the thread and stay married). Having said that, hope you guys will be patient as I pose some of my questions.
A little background on how I got here: As a mid/late-30's professional in health care, I decided to begin dressing more professionally. I've been trying to learn much more about permanent fashion in general this past year and moving beyond the fickle and random teachings of GQ (I'm intrigued with what I've learned so far from Flusser). To deal with my remedial shoe education, I got rid of a decade's worth of shoes and began investing in Allen Edmonds shoes (am I allowed to utter that brand here :) Over the course of reading up on AE, I naturally encountered the great Alden vs AE debate and decided to learn about Alden to settle it for myself. Well, thanks to Mac and many others very intriguing photos and wisdom, I've decided that one way to resolve ambivalence between two brands is to just buy some of both. So, my quest has begun for wingtips and boots from the Alden universe.
I finally took the plunge and ordered 2 LWBs from JCrew: the "waxed" tobacco horween CXL and the snuff suede (a shout-out to the personal stylist at JCrew who was able to get me a 25% discount!!). My first question to the forum is: Is there a Mac break-in procedure for non-shell Aldens?
The followup to that question is, which materials should I have on hand? I've taken a look at the goods offered on the Hanger Project and wondering which things I truly need and which things I could arguably skip.
Another question is: how many longwings does one need to make a decent rotation for oneself? I have a mind to get a Color 8 shell and would love to learn how one finds their way to a Ravello, Whiskey or Cigar shell LWB. (I guess I want to be like Mac when I grow up...)
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.post #42861 of 1224162/5/13 at 5:34pmQuote:
Thank you. Ended up with the dark Ravello Chukkas you mentioned.
Waiting for me at the door today:post #42862 of 1224162/5/13 at 5:34pmpost #42863 of 1224162/5/13 at 6:08pmpost #42864 of 1224162/5/13 at 6:43pmpost #42865 of 1224162/5/13 at 6:50pmpost #42866 of 1224162/5/13 at 6:55pmpost #42867 of 1224162/5/13 at 6:56pmpost #42868 of 1224162/5/13 at 7:30pmQuote:Quote:Quote:
thanks for the kind words gentlemen.
Michigan Planner, i've had them for a couple of years. i do not wear them much, but i really like them every time i put them on. i think saddles are a nice alternative to ptbs.post #42869 of 1224162/5/13 at 7:41pmpost #42870 of 1224162/5/13 at 7:42pmQuote:
great looking photos, great looking longwings.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Things you just don't get 9 minutes ago
- › Belstaff "Stoneham" Jacket Size 50 Brand New with Tags!! 18 minutes ago
- › Offical Barbour Thread 22 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 24 minutes ago
- › Croquis sartoriaux / Sartorial sketches 29 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 29 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 35 minutes ago
- › NFL 2016-17 Thread 37 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 37 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 47 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...