It's already been said, these look fantastic. Plaza last, no?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Yesterday at 11:20 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2827post #42391 of 1224161/31/13 at 4:37am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #42392 of 1224161/31/13 at 6:30ampost #42393 of 1224161/31/13 at 6:31ampost #42394 of 1224161/31/13 at 7:00amQuote:
My 2 cents on the matter ....
The lust for rare shell is a curious thing. In some ways I feel sorry for the fellas that stumble across this thread and think only in terms of whiskey and ravello (and who could blame them, given the comments made on here some days).
I wear Aldens for business and casual, and in a variety of settings. I have various models of each color.
Leaving black shell out of the analysis altogether (and I like black shell - wearing the Alden for BB perf captoe bal today), Color 8 is the most versatile, followed closely be cigar. Then it's ravello, followed by whiskey.
The ravello LWB may be the best looking shell LWB (in terms of uniqueness), but if forced to choose I would take my cigar LWB over it. And I own both. The whiskey LWB, which I also own, is a grail shoe for some Alden fans. That is fine, and it is a very nice shoe. I wear mine maybe 5 times a year. I would easily choose any of the colors, including black, in the LWB, over whiskey. And the preceding sentence was not meant to offend anyone - just calling it like I see it.
For someone just starting out, I would suggest getting whiskey after about number 10. Get some color 8 and cigar first (and black if you are so inclined), and then move on to ravello and whiskey. And also, to the extent possible, learn your correct size.post #42395 of 1224161/31/13 at 7:03ampost #42396 of 1224161/31/13 at 7:20ampost #42397 of 1224161/31/13 at 7:29ampost #42398 of 1224161/31/13 at 7:44ampost #42399 of 1224161/31/13 at 8:34amI think cigar is at least as versatile as color 8... After all, it's dark brown, which is generally regarded as the most versatile show color. If more cigar models had dark edge soles, they would be even more versatile (similar to the RL Marlow models).post #42400 of 1224161/31/13 at 8:34ampost #42401 of 1224161/31/13 at 8:48amQuote:
I disagree. Colour 8 can be worn with black, whereas Cigar can't. I'd suspect this is where the Colour 8 versatility stems from.post #42402 of 1224161/31/13 at 8:49ampost #42403 of 1224161/31/13 at 9:11amI've just started on "the path" with #8 PTB's. How would some of the more experienced aficionados and collectors on this forum suggest I proceed? Buy what's available as you go. Get the basics first. Order a particular shoe in a so-called "grail" colour and wait for the zombie apocalypse. Any suggestions at all would be great. First borns w/ Marcoliani cashmere sockspost #42404 of 1224161/31/13 at 9:40amQuote:
I suppose this is true - and it certainly is alleged by many, and it looks fine - but I personally can't do it. Black trousers, in my world, are made for black shoes. But to each their own. And to the extent one does it (wear color 8 with black), it is hard to say color 8 isn't the most versatile.
The color 8 v. cigar versatility debate is a close call. This is particularly so for me inasmuch as I do not wear color 8 with black, nor do I wear color 8 with most shades of brown/tan. Certainly color 8 looks nice with most shades of brown (and I do it from time to time), but I just find myself gravitating towards brown/tan shoes when wearing brown/tan. And cigar of course can be worn with essentially everything but black.
This issue won't be resolved today.post #42405 of 1224161/31/13 at 9:42am
CTYGGG just posted excellent photos of his pair, I believe:
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Currently, there are 1626 Active Users (313 Members and 1313 Guests)
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 3 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Wings + Horns Dayton Service Boot (8.5) 8 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 10 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?