Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 9:13 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: Yesterday
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2823post #42331 of 1224161/30/13 at 4:08pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #42332 of 1224161/30/13 at 4:15pmpost #42333 of 1224161/30/13 at 4:26pmpost #42334 of 1224161/30/13 at 4:47pmpost #42335 of 1224161/30/13 at 4:50pmpost #42336 of 1224161/30/13 at 4:53pmpost #42337 of 1224161/30/13 at 4:54pmpost #42338 of 1224161/30/13 at 5:00pmpost #42339 of 1224161/30/13 at 5:02pmQuote:
No the soles aren't cordovan nor are they calf.
I believe they are oak bark tanned leather.
Allegedly Alden uses Rendenbach soles when they recraft but some other brand of similar grade soles when new.
I haven't noticed any difference in wear between Alden/C&J soles.post #42340 of 1224161/30/13 at 5:02pmpost #42341 of 1224161/30/13 at 5:05pmpost #42342 of 1224161/30/13 at 5:11pmQuote:
No, they are not made of cordovan. Leather soles come from the "bend" of a cow, which is part of the back. The sole bend runs along the length of the cow's back from head to tail. The sole has the be the hardest, longest lasting part of the shoe, so it is rolled very dense to compress the fibers. It is oak bark tanned, which is the hardiest method of tanning for leather to make it optimum for use in shoe soles because it has the best combination of hardness for durability while remaining bendable for walking purposes. Bends come in varying degrees of thickness and quality, so there will be variance between companies. JR Redenbach is considered the best by many, but not all.post #42343 of 1224161/30/13 at 5:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by BootSpell
You made two apologies that were definitely not needed. Firstly, calf is a great way to "gradually" work your way to shell. That's how I did it. Guys who buy shell as their first foray into higher-end footwear amaze me. Going from $100-150 shoes to $700 shoes in one leap is incredible.
Secondly, the picture may not be as good as say, CTYGGG's, but it's good enough to show that's a great pair of boots there. I don't wear much black and only have a few pair but that pair or something similar is now on my list.
Thanks for sharing.
Uncle, I likewise am not being argumentative. Plus, who am I to argue with someone who has your collection of shoes/boots? However, if your analogy is equating Honda = calf and Bentley = shell, then we will likely have to agree to disagree. I own a number of shell boots whilst also owning a number of calf (and CXL) boots. And I love them all. I also enjoyed the recent discussion of shell vs calf. I appreciate the unique individual attributes of both shell and calf. And I certainly don't feel like I'm going from a Bentley to a Honda when I switch out a pair of my shell boots for a pair of my calf boots.post #42344 of 1224161/30/13 at 5:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by shaunw
Torture but in a good way.
Over the last year and a half I have stocked up heavily on Alden, primarily cordovan boots. At this point I'm basically set with footwear for September through May timeframe (cooler months = boot weather for me). Living in the mid-atlantic shoes are pretty mandatory for summer considering the heat and humidity, I have cigar ptb, and a suede pair of ranger shoes for the warm months but I really want a darker pair of shell cordovan shoes to work into the warm period rotation. I just sold off a few things and my paypal account is fully stocked. The alden 990 and the alden for brooks brothers PTB #8 would fit the bill perfectly and are readily available BUT technically I'm still in boot mode for a solid three more months and there is really no need to jump on a purchase that won't be worn for several months and is generally readily available.
The smart thing to do is hold out for:
- killer deal on theshoemart seconds list
- hope for something nice on alden of carmel irregulars
- hope for a sale at jcrew or brooks brothers
- wait to see what unique offerings come out of LS, Unionmade, Epaulet, and other retailers
- keep tabs on the SF classifieds section
Money buring a hole in your pocket is torture, but I guess it's better than wanting something and not having the means.
I mentioned this before, but it quickly got lost... Hunt club clothiers in downtown cincinnati has 20% off Alden's through tomorrow. They quoted me $500 plus tax for a pair of 990s, a good deal, i think. They are listed on aldenshoe.com and I bet they would ship to you if you call them. I bought my pair elsewhere, but might have them order me another pair or a LWB tomorrow.post #42345 of 1224161/30/13 at 5:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by digga
I mentioned this before, but it quickly got lost... Hunt club clothiers in downtown cincinnati has 20% off Alden's through tomorrow. They quoted me $500 plus tax for a pair of 990s, a good deal, i think. They are listed on aldenshoe.com and I bet they would ship to you if you call them. I bought my pair elsewhere, but might have them order me another pair or a LWB tomorrow.
Does anyone know the extent of their inventory? Black and #8 for shell, I assume?
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 minute ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 7 minutes ago
- › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking... 9 minutes ago
- › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. 10 minutes ago
- › Acne Snake Razor Black Jeans Sz 32 12 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 18 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 20 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...