or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 282  

post #4216 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL View Post
Kinda around...was in Tokyo, now in HK. I don't think I have anything on the Hampton on the horizon. I did just put in an order for the Hampton plain toe. Jason, nice pickup. I actually bought a pair of those exact same shoes, just on the Tom last, back in 2004 from another dealer. Love loden green.
A hampton plain toe would fill a gap in my line-up. I'll keep an eye on your site.
post #4217 of 122416
Eh Im going to just order a pair of Crockett Jones Conistons.
post #4218 of 122416
I've decided to sell my basically brand new Alden Longwing Whiskey Shell shoes (12D). I tried a few more shoes in different sizes on and realized that these are a half size too large. I wore these literally for less than a couple of hours (one day). The rest of the time they sat at home while I pondered the size. I bought them from Epaulet just a couple of weeks ago (great folks there by the way). I can't post in the 'for sale' section yet, so apologize for posting here, but they'll go on ebay next. I paid $650 and am looking at sell for $600 (free shipping). Last image was taken with flash.
post #4219 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post
On those, for $400? Yes.

On Red Wing 875s, for $175. No.

875s look amazing after being beaten on. R.P. McMurphy wore them, for the luvva christ.

I don't see what price has to do with ugly.
post #4220 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy View Post
Just received some indy boots from J.Crew purchased from their 15% off free shipping sale. The quality control on this pair is really pretty low. I have some pictures but its almost impossible to capture what Im talking about. The pictures above are trying to show that there is a gouging of the 'wood' (not actually sure its wood) there. This is a minor issue, but just annoying. I shouldnt have scuff marks like this on a new boot. I mean it seems unreasonable to buy a boot, then immediately have to oil and polish out scuff marks.
Someone more knowledgeable feel free to chime in but I think you're way off base. The welt on nearly all Indy's looks like this. They're work boots, not dress boots and the welt reflects this. I cant find the post but someone wrote a great quote about Alden factory line workers worrying that smooth welts would make them look like fairies. The scuff would be annoying but its honestly meaningless, you'll be putting your own scuffs in them in no time. Its also not wood...seriously. I have Indy's too btw.
post #4221 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by false View Post
Someone more knowledgeable feel free to chime in but I think you're way off base. The welt on nearly all Indy's looks like this. They're work boots, not dress boots and the welt reflects this. I cant find the post but someone wrote a great quote about Alden factory line workers worrying that smooth welts would make them look like fairies. The scuff would be annoying but its honestly meaningless, you'll be putting your own scuffs in them in no time. Its also not wood...seriously.

I have Indy's too btw.

I agree, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, especially at 15% off.
post #4222 of 122416
I don't know about the welt (a little hard to see exactly what's going on in the pics) but the scuff looks completely surface. If it makes you want to polish and oil then chromexcel leather probably isn't the best choice for you. Or the indy boot for that matter.
post #4223 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy View Post
Just received some indy boots from J.Crew purchased from their 15% off free shipping sale. The quality control on this pair is really pretty low. I have some pictures but its almost impossible to capture what Im talking about.


This is how mine are. I think that's how they are supposed to be.
post #4224 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by false View Post
Someone more knowledgeable feel free to chime in but I think you're way off base. The welt on nearly all Indy's looks like this. They're work boots, not dress boots and the welt reflects this. I cant find the post but someone wrote a great quote about Alden factory line workers worrying that smooth welts would make them look like fairies. The scuff would be annoying but its honestly meaningless, you'll be putting your own scuffs in them in no time. Its also not wood...seriously.

I have Indy's too btw.

iirc mafoofan posted a while back about how alden's work is known for being more "honest" than attractive. i just looked at mine and my indys are the same way.
post #4225 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that giant white/off-white sole is ugly?
All that being said, I dig this combo.
post #4226 of 122416
My problem is with the welt especially the first pic where there looks to be some sort of gouge - the stitching on my 403s is smooth all around. The second pic looks like a small piece of leather coming up from the welt. Can't find that on mine. The third seems like normal wear after a few days, but not out of the box. Are these boots going to fall apart? Nope. Will people look down and laugh at your Indys? Nope. But when you're paying $375 to $450 a pair, they should be in pristine condition out of the box even if they're work boots. This looks like minor mishaps that you'd see in a pair of Shoemart seconds.
post #4227 of 122416
This last post about the J Crew "defects" made me wonder...are there any inherent differences in the J. Crew Indy boot vs the one you'd get from The Shoe Mart?

Same thing, besides color choices and the J Crew customized "stained welt" ?

Apologies if this has already been discussed...
post #4228 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal View Post
My problem is with the welt especially the first pic where there looks to be some sort of gouge - the stitching on my 403s is smooth all around. The second pic looks like a small piece of leather coming up from the welt. Can't find that on mine. The third seems like normal wear after a few days, but not out of the box. Are these boots going to fall apart? Nope. Will people look down and laugh at your Indys? Nope. But when you're paying $375 to $450 a pair, they should be in pristine condition out of the box even if they're work boots. This looks like minor mishaps that you'd see in a pair of Shoemart seconds.
As I said it's not clear from the pictures what I'm talking about. Im aware that they are not meant to look perfect. In person it is clear that a section of finish has been stripped off and whatever material the welt is attached to has been gouged out. It looks like someone took a small screwdriver, jammed it into that material and wiggled it around. It is very hard to capture in pictures but I showed it to some friends and without mentioning the spot they all jumped on it immediately. 'Oh these are great, wait whats up with this?' Of course the scuffs are no big deal, I just find it obnoxious. If it was only the scuffs Id keep them in a second.
post #4229 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw View Post

cigar lwb

When the most recent crop of cigar LWBs went up at Shoemart, I said to myself "Dude, you have a perfectly good pair of deep brown cordovan Darlton shortwings that you actually wear on a regular basis. You don't need to drop another $650 just to have a nearly identical shoe in a longwing version."

Seeing this photo makes me second guess myself. Gorgeous shoes.
post #4230 of 122416
Hey guys, we just received 24 pieces of a new special make-up:


Alden for Epaulet "2-Stroke" Indy Boot: $475

Upper: Horween Dark Brown Chamois Oiled Nubuck
Sole: Plantation Crepe with Leather Tip
Last: Tru-Balance
Flat waxed laces and leather lined.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.