Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 9:18 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2803post #42031 of 1224161/27/13 at 4:01pmpost #42032 of 1224161/27/13 at 4:05pmpost #42033 of 1224161/27/13 at 4:33pmNot something you see often
found it here
http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h172406635post #42034 of 1224161/27/13 at 4:45pmpost #42035 of 1224161/27/13 at 4:49pmpost #42036 of 1224161/27/13 at 4:52pmpost #42037 of 1224161/27/13 at 4:52pm
After lurking in styleforum for a few months and a rare visitation to Leather Soul Waikiki and DT last summer, I decided to buy a pair stock Alden Indy "Dark Brown" boots from Roden Gray (I live next to Vancouver). This is my first pair of high-end footwear, coming from Clarks desert boots, Asolo, Converse, Nike skate, and running shoes. Now I understand why people are willing to spend the money to buy a pair Aldens.
So here are my thoughts on my first pair of Alden after wearing it (every other day) for a few weeks since December.
Things I like:
I wear a size 10.5D for Converse, 11D for Nike Skate, 10.5 wide for Brooks Beast, 11D for Clarks desert boots, 11D unstructured Clarks dress shoe. Despite me visiting Leather Soul, I did not try on a pair of Aldens prior to this purchase. I got wide fit, so the risk doubles whenever I buy shoes online. Heck, I didn't know what the hell was a "last" or the difference between them.
Based on some prior posts on this forum, I went with 10 D with medium cushion hiking socks. The leather was soft and no breaking in time was required. The boots did stretch out a bit, but it didn't change the fit significantly. Unlike other work boots, the upper fit snug. Overall, the boot fits like a glove.
The leather produces a natural oily luster after brushing with Woly neutral cream. I know it sounds weird but I have never seen a pair of leather shoes that does that after a polish.
Creases does add to the character.
Things that I don't like:
Laces doesn't seem durable (my intention is to treat this pair like a work boot).
QC did not impress me because there were "splinters" or "flakes" of leather remained on the top leather sole (where the welt stitching are). More at the heel. It looked like sanding was rush.
There were some glue or clear plastic residue left where the uppers and the heel meet but it is unnoticeable unless I am really looking for it.
Packaging was a bit sparse. I did read somewhere that that is how they package their shoes. I think it should come with cloth bags, not plastic bags...on top of that mine was already taken out of its plastic bag when I received it.
Things I am neutral to:
Flat rubber sole doesn't hold up well with wet weather condition. Will switch to commando/Raptor sole when it is time for repairs.
Dark brown colour is quite subjective. It should be called Rusty brown. Pictures below to illustrate my point.
These boots should have eyelids holes on the top instead of quick lace hooks.
The first photo is without flash in cloudy day light, and the second is with flash.
Overall: Happy with the purchase. Will buy Alden again but probably non regular stock options.
p.s. Leather Soul (W & DT) was shoe porn central, but the most memorable items were those vintage Rolex on display.post #42038 of 1224161/27/13 at 4:54pmpost #42039 of 1224161/27/13 at 4:55pmpost #42040 of 1224161/27/13 at 4:56pmpost #42041 of 1224161/27/13 at 4:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by nutcracker
Not something you see often
found it here
thank you for posting. i have never these alden shoe treespost #42042 of 1224161/27/13 at 5:37pmpost #42043 of 1224161/27/13 at 5:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by misterjuiceman
Right--I didn't think Horween used the CXL process on calf, though. I thought it was all cowhide and horsehide. The Indy boot is cowhide CXL, isn't it? The original confusion arrose because some sites are saying it's calf and some are saying it's CXL. I can't imagine they'd sell a CXL calfskin boot for the same price as a CXL cowhide boot, though. Usually Alden's calf is a little bit pricier than cowhide.
You are right that many sites mention calf, which is why I included it. Horween's article on their website just describes cow and horse hides being used for Chromexcel, and I think that is all they use. However, the point still stands that the OP's comment is over simplified, which is what I was really touching on. The original Indy boot is cowhide, but special make-ups out there are made from other types of leather (including CXL made from horse hides).post #42044 of 1224161/27/13 at 5:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent
You are right that many sites mention calf, which is why I included it. Horween's article on their website just describes cow and horse hides being used for Chromexcel, and I think that is all they use. However, the point still stands that the OP's comment is over simplified, which is what I was really touching on. The original Indy boot is cowhide, but special make-ups out there are made from other types of leather (including CXL made from horse hides).
Oh, when I said original confusion I meant because of my post that asked what the 401 was made out of--some sites say it's calf, some sites say CXL, so someone said it's probably calf CXL, which I doubt.post #42045 of 1224161/27/13 at 5:59pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Any One for a Scotch? 1 minute ago
- › Belt or Side-Adjusters on Separate Trousers? 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Rule of thumb 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 9 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 10 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 12 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 14 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 18 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 20 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...