Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 9:13 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: Yesterday
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2775post #41611 of 1224161/23/13 at 5:55am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #41612 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:34amQuote:Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
I owned the AF60 from Alden-of-Carmel, which is a captoe on the plaza in black shell, and ended up getting rid of them. With the commando sole, they were too military looking for my purposes. I thought the same of the Alden DC version on Grant when I saw them recently. All depends on the look one is going for I guess. I have the cigar version, and I am not wild about the commando sole on it, really, but I dig the Grant last.
Love the Shoemart Indy on commando. It's far more casual by nature though, so maybe that's why I don't mind the sole in that context. But I also recently sold a cigar pair on commando, and that was part of the reason I parted with them (along with the hand stitched apron).
#8 loafers on Grant today.
Thanks for the feedback.
The AF60, at least currently, is on the Barrie:
If it were on the Plaza I would have bought it yesterday.post #41613 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:35ampost #41614 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:35amQuote:
I have gotten to the point of actually preferring the commando sole on Alden high boots. Thanks for the feedback.post #41615 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:37ampost #41616 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:38ampost #41617 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:57ampost #41618 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:59amQuote:
How is it that you ended up buying two pairs of ravello longwings?
I'm debating keeping both the ravello longwings and the brown scotchgrain longwings. These are different, but are they different enough? What do you guys think.post #41619 of 1224161/23/13 at 7:02amQuote:
I haven't worn my Alden SF ravello longwings, and the two were different enough for me to check out the J Crew version (I could always return or sell a pair)... But the more I think about it the more I may end up keeping both of these, as Mac recommended. The brass eyelets and antique sole really make a difference. Also, the shade of ravello is dark enough that there is a contrast between the leather and the antique sole - I had a pair of longwings (since sold) that was ligher, and the sole and leather looked too similar.
You should keep both of yours - that scotch grain longwing is a great rain dress shoe, and your ravello longwing has a dark sole, which is also a differentiatorpost #41620 of 1224161/23/13 at 7:15amQuote:Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy
Thanks for the feedback.
The AF60, at least currently, is on the Barrie:
If it were on the Plaza I would have bought it yesterday.
Here are the ones I used to own. Some days I regret selling them, because the Plaza looks great and is a comfortable last for me. But on the other hand, they just sat in my closet, and I funded (portions of) other purchases with their sale. So it worked out ok.post #41621 of 1224161/23/13 at 7:24amQuote:
I think they are sufficiently different to warrant keeping both. I had a pair of scotch grain wingtip boots that I really regret selling last year.post #41622 of 1224161/23/13 at 7:57amQuote:
I'll ask the question: Is it unnecessary to have the DC Grant captoes in #8 and Cigar...as well as the AF60 in black!?post #41623 of 1224161/23/13 at 7:59ampost #41624 of 1224161/23/13 at 8:06amQuote:Originally Posted by herrmjQuote:These look awesome! I love the brass eyelets.Originally Posted by pfurey
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The ravellos are in. I'm in love.
I really hope they sold out in my size... or else I'm in trouble.Quote:post #41625 of 1224161/23/13 at 8:20amQuote:
Unnecessary is in the eye of the beholder....
If you're active here, I suspect you already know the answer. Must have them all
Edited by Don L - 1/23/13 at 9:08am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
Currently, there are 977 Active Users (160 Members and 817 Guests)
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 minute ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 7 minutes ago
- › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking... 9 minutes ago
- › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. 10 minutes ago
- › Acne Snake Razor Black Jeans Sz 32 12 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 18 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 20 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...