Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 9:35 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2775post #41611 of 1224161/23/13 at 5:55ampost #41612 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:34amQuote:Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
I owned the AF60 from Alden-of-Carmel, which is a captoe on the plaza in black shell, and ended up getting rid of them. With the commando sole, they were too military looking for my purposes. I thought the same of the Alden DC version on Grant when I saw them recently. All depends on the look one is going for I guess. I have the cigar version, and I am not wild about the commando sole on it, really, but I dig the Grant last.
Love the Shoemart Indy on commando. It's far more casual by nature though, so maybe that's why I don't mind the sole in that context. But I also recently sold a cigar pair on commando, and that was part of the reason I parted with them (along with the hand stitched apron).
#8 loafers on Grant today.
Thanks for the feedback.
The AF60, at least currently, is on the Barrie:
If it were on the Plaza I would have bought it yesterday.post #41613 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:35ampost #41614 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:35amQuote:
I have gotten to the point of actually preferring the commando sole on Alden high boots. Thanks for the feedback.post #41615 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:37ampost #41616 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:38ampost #41617 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:57ampost #41618 of 1224161/23/13 at 6:59amQuote:
How is it that you ended up buying two pairs of ravello longwings?
I'm debating keeping both the ravello longwings and the brown scotchgrain longwings. These are different, but are they different enough? What do you guys think.post #41619 of 1224161/23/13 at 7:02amQuote:
I haven't worn my Alden SF ravello longwings, and the two were different enough for me to check out the J Crew version (I could always return or sell a pair)... But the more I think about it the more I may end up keeping both of these, as Mac recommended. The brass eyelets and antique sole really make a difference. Also, the shade of ravello is dark enough that there is a contrast between the leather and the antique sole - I had a pair of longwings (since sold) that was ligher, and the sole and leather looked too similar.
You should keep both of yours - that scotch grain longwing is a great rain dress shoe, and your ravello longwing has a dark sole, which is also a differentiatorpost #41620 of 1224161/23/13 at 7:15amQuote:Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy
Thanks for the feedback.
The AF60, at least currently, is on the Barrie:
If it were on the Plaza I would have bought it yesterday.
Here are the ones I used to own. Some days I regret selling them, because the Plaza looks great and is a comfortable last for me. But on the other hand, they just sat in my closet, and I funded (portions of) other purchases with their sale. So it worked out ok.post #41621 of 1224161/23/13 at 7:24amQuote:
I think they are sufficiently different to warrant keeping both. I had a pair of scotch grain wingtip boots that I really regret selling last year.post #41622 of 1224161/23/13 at 7:57amQuote:
I'll ask the question: Is it unnecessary to have the DC Grant captoes in #8 and Cigar...as well as the AF60 in black!?post #41623 of 1224161/23/13 at 7:59ampost #41624 of 1224161/23/13 at 8:06amQuote:Originally Posted by herrmjQuote:These look awesome! I love the brass eyelets.Originally Posted by pfurey
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The ravellos are in. I'm in love.
I really hope they sold out in my size... or else I'm in trouble.Quote:post #41625 of 1224161/23/13 at 8:20amQuote:
Unnecessary is in the eye of the beholder....
If you're active here, I suspect you already know the answer. Must have them all
Edited by Don L - 1/23/13 at 9:08am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
Currently, there are 1339 Active Users (298 Members and 1041 Guests)
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 2 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 6 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 6 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 6 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 7 minutes ago
- › NFL 2016-17 Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding