Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 8:10 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: Yesterday
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2766post #41476 of 1224161/21/13 at 3:52pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #41477 of 1224161/21/13 at 4:33pmpost #41478 of 1224161/21/13 at 4:48pmpost #41479 of 1224161/21/13 at 5:16pmSorry, first time post. I have the same issue with one of my 403's. There about two months old so I can imagine them being dry. Just to be sure I applied some Reno, no change. It looks like marble for lack of a better word. Is this a normal characteristic of CXL? Its kind of driving me nuts, any insight would be appreciated.post #41480 of 1224161/21/13 at 5:20pmpost #41481 of 1224161/21/13 at 5:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by jereth
Sorry, first time post. I have the same issue with one of my 403's. There about two months old so I can imagine them being dry. Just to be sure I applied some Reno, no change. It looks like marble for lack of a better word. Is this a normal characteristic of CXL? Its kind of driving me nuts, any insight would be appreciated.Quote:
Just looks like good character to me!post #41482 of 1224161/21/13 at 5:26pmQuote:
Sorry to see that, doesn't look bad though. Seems like the quarters were cut from looser part of the hide. Just the natural characteristic of the leather if it's breaking this way, just do your best to keep oiled.post #41483 of 1224161/21/13 at 5:39pmThat's just chromexcel. It can be like that, seen it on tons of shoes. One reason I don't always love that leather, I had a pair of J Crew Indys that were so bad after one wear I returned them as defective, they just had a horrible piece of Chromexcel on them...and I was expecting the typical Chrimexcel "character". Those don't look too bad to me though, I wouldn't be concerned by those.post #41484 of 1224161/21/13 at 5:47pmI figured that's what it was. The main reason it bothers me is because the boots really do look so different in person, especially in sun light. Hopefully I will beat them up enough that it won't be so noticeable. Next boots will be shell.post #41485 of 1224161/21/13 at 6:03pmpost #41486 of 1224161/21/13 at 6:05pmpost #41487 of 1224161/21/13 at 6:07pmpost #41488 of 1224161/21/13 at 6:09pm
Hi Friends, I bought my first pair of Aldens (brand new 405s) the day after Christmas. Love them, but noticed a couple issues.
Thread is coming undone on the corner of the right boot.
On the left boot, the stitching on the welt is starting to fray. It looks like the welt was trimmed very close to the thread, exposing the thread to more wear.
Here you can see a comparison between left and right to see the difference.
My question is, would there be any concern about the long term durability of these boots related to these two issues? If so, can anything be done to to help?post #41489 of 1224161/21/13 at 6:12pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 18 seconds ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 40 seconds ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 3 minutes ago
- › Quintessential Knit Ties: Comprehensive Discussion & Appreciation 5 minutes ago
- › RM Williams Chelsea boots 11.5 H BNIB black calf perfect 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 9 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 11 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 19 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 24 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...