BTW, I guess there is no price increase on Aldens this year?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 6:05 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2689post #40321 of 1224161/3/13 at 5:45pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #40322 of 1224161/3/13 at 5:54pmpost #40323 of 1224161/3/13 at 5:56pmpost #40324 of 1224161/3/13 at 6:05pmpost #40325 of 1224161/3/13 at 6:08pmQuote:
Thanks for the hint. I sent my mail to the GM at LSW hoping to get a reply soon (or at least before they run out of the shoe I am looking for in my size ).
Cheerspost #40326 of 1224161/3/13 at 6:14pmQuote:
I have a pair of these:
I didn't like them at first because they were very stiff and took a long time to break in. Since then, I've come to really enjoy wearing them (even if I do reach for my Cigars a bit more frequently). I think there may be a tad bit of red in them, but have found them to go well with jeans, khakis (both shades of tan/brown and blue), and cords.post #40327 of 1224161/3/13 at 6:27pmpost #40328 of 1224161/3/13 at 6:30pmpost #40329 of 1224161/3/13 at 6:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy
Thanks for the post.
To be clear, I said "Traditional rules of fashion dictate that slip-ons (tassels, full strap, LHS, etc.) not be worn with suits." And to this rule I strictly adhere.
To also be clear, traditional rules of fashion dictate only balmorals with suits. To this rule I do not strcitly adhere. IMO, many bluchers are as dressy, if not dressier, than many balmorals - e.g., Alden for BB shell captoe blucher in color 8. And there are some monks, single or double, that are plenty dressy.
I would surmise that many in the "tassels are okay with suits" crowd would stop short of advocating an LHS with a suit. An LHS - which I have in color 8 and whiskey - is, IMO, at least one notch, if not 2 or 3 notches, down on the formal/casual scale.
i would agree that i do not wear a suit with lhs. whereas, i would wear lhs with blazer or sc with a tie.post #40330 of 1224161/3/13 at 6:47pmpost #40331 of 1224161/3/13 at 6:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by Burton
Guys, I believe this information may be useful so I am following my original post with an update here. After a few e-mails back and forth, I sent the shoes back to Alden. This a.m. I received a call from a customer service person at Alden and he told me they should have no trouble recrafting the color back to the original. They are going to charge me $50.00 for the recrafting. In the past, I have had less than compelling experiences with Alden's customer service but I have to say I was really pleased with the phone call and the approach. I will follow up with pictures once I have them back.
Well I received my tassels back from Alden. They look fantastic.
Now I have a real dilemma. Do I keep them? I have the BB shell tassels in color 8 (which look exactly the same but with heel counter stitching), so I don't need two pairs of color 8 tassel loafers. However, I look at the color 8 tassels as the most versatile dress shoe you can own. You can wear with jeans, khakis or a suit. Your thoughts? Uncle Mac, what do you think? I could sell them (probably make a little money) and pick something else up. Perhaps a loafer on the Grant? Thoughts?post #40332 of 1224161/3/13 at 6:49pmpost #40333 of 1224161/3/13 at 6:49pmpost #40334 of 1224161/3/13 at 6:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by Bakes11771
^True on all counts. Sorry for misquoting you.
Edit: While I am ballsy enough to wear LHS with a suit where corporate and local culture permit, I don't think I could do boot with a suit, even it it was a balmore boot.
Which do you think is lower on the formality spectrum, in the context of wearing with a suit? For question's sake, we'll say cap-toe blucher boot or LHS.
To add another twist, what if the boot had a commando sole?
i do wear boots with suits like cap toe, nst and wt and black, #8, cigar and ravello. i noticed that sazon is wearing #$ cap toe with a suit
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 14 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 16 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 42 seconds ago
- › I need feminism because tumblr 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 2 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 2 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 6 minutes ago
- › thoughts on (asking for) price adjustments. 8 minutes ago
- › Random Food Questions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...