I have a walnut grain from AE, and I'm wondering how it compares to the Alden brown grain.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 10:40 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2688post #40306 of 1224161/3/13 at 2:31pmpost #40307 of 1224161/3/13 at 2:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by DBate
Gentlemen, asking for your advice...
Has anyone of you experience how long it usually takes Leather Soul to answer to emails (to their info@... address)? I sent them a message about two days ago and haven't heard anything yet. By now I think my mail might have been marked as spam by their system as I put a link (to a pair of shoes on their website) in it, and some systems tend to filter out mails with links from unknown senders as spam. I am thinking now about sending the mail again without the link, but don't want to bother them with several inquiries about the same thing in case it's normal for them to take some time with the answer.
e-mail the manager of whatever store your interested in purchasing. all of their e-mails are on the site. i always purchase from LSBH, therefore i e-mail Bryan who never takes more than 24-48 hours to respond.post #40308 of 1224161/3/13 at 3:04pmpost #40309 of 1224161/3/13 at 3:16pmpost #40310 of 1224161/3/13 at 3:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by Bakes11771
I can identify with both your and Uncle's position. As Uncle mentioned, you see a lot of tassels with suits in the NY metro area, particularly from a certain demographic. As you mentioned, tradition dictates balmores with suits, and that is what I would wear if I were going on a job interview, as it is considered more formal. However, if I were comfortable in my position, and if it conformed to company culture, I would not hesitate to wear a loafer with suit, be it a Gucci horse bit, LHS, tassel or other.
FWIW, I've been told that the Balmores with suit rule is adhered to more closely in Europe, and that loafers with a suit is considered "very American".
I also understand what you mean when you say that you are not comfortable doing it personally. There are many clothing combinations that are considered acceptable that I am personally not comfortable doing. (Red pants w. #8 for example)
Thanks for the post.
To be clear, I said "Traditional rules of fashion dictate that slip-ons (tassels, full strap, LHS, etc.) not be worn with suits." And to this rule I strictly adhere.
To also be clear, traditional rules of fashion dictate only balmorals with suits. To this rule I do not strcitly adhere. IMO, many bluchers are as dressy, if not dressier, than many balmorals - e.g., Alden for BB shell captoe blucher in color 8. And there are some monks, single or double, that are plenty dressy.
I would surmise that many in the "tassels are okay with suits" crowd would stop short of advocating an LHS with a suit. An LHS - which I have in color 8 and whiskey - is, IMO, at least one notch, if not 2 or 3 notches, down on the formal/casual scale.post #40311 of 1224161/3/13 at 3:49pmpost #40312 of 1224161/3/13 at 3:52pm
^True on all counts. Sorry for misquoting you.
Edit: While I am ballsy enough to wear LHS with a suit where corporate and local culture permit, I don't think I could do boot with a suit, even it it was a balmore boot.
Which do you think is lower on the formality spectrum, in the context of wearing with a suit? For question's sake, we'll say cap-toe blucher boot or LHS.
To add another twist, what if the boot had a commando sole?
Edited by Bakes11771 - 1/3/13 at 4:04pmpost #40313 of 1224161/3/13 at 4:03pmQuote:
These. 270 Barbour welt, eyelets and hooks, double leather sole. 2nd favorite iteration next to Epaulets, which is the same but with all eyes.post #40314 of 1224161/3/13 at 4:13pmpost #40315 of 1224161/3/13 at 4:16pmQuote:
Well I am going to buy either one of these tomorrow they are pretty close beside sole and last. Any opinions on which one. This will of course be a more casual boot so jeans and chinos with maybe a sport coat not tiepost #40316 of 1224161/3/13 at 4:21pmpost #40317 of 1224161/3/13 at 4:49pmpost #40318 of 1224161/3/13 at 4:53pmI don't know about the LHS, but I see plenty of guys in Gucci bit loafers and full strap penny loafers (like these from Allen Edmonds : http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF4809_1_40000000001_-1) all time in NYC. There is something about the hand stiching of the LHS that makes it look very casual for a suit.
For suits, I wear shortwing or longwing bluchers, balmoral captoes and wingtips, and tassel loafers. I also wore PTBs with suits (when I owned them) and would do so again. I have an EG monk strap shoe on order than I plan on wearing with suits.
I purchased black shell balmoral boots a while back. They were a bad purchase (I wear them too rarely for the cost and given they are Rider boots, they have little resale value), but I don't see why you couldn't wear that with a grey suit. Also, I don't see why you couldn't wear a captoe cordovan boot on a double leather sole with a suit. I wouldn't wear my commando sole cigar captoe with a suit (though I have worn them with wool trousers before).post #40319 of 1224161/3/13 at 4:55pmpost #40320 of 1224161/3/13 at 4:59pmQuote:
AoC has a barrie straight tip cordovan and a plain toe in trubalance (both black shell). Both have the commando sole.
The black calf Indy gets no love but is an excellent makeup from them. I really wish someone would do a Pitt boot style in a different last than the barrie. May have to Vass mto....
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 2 seconds ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 1 minute ago
- › The soft retail market and other possible indicators of an economic... 10 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 10 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 11 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 21 minutes ago
- › Sartorial Leather Jackets by Craftsman Clothing - Official... 22 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread 24 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 25 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Shoes Lacking Quality Control... 26 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding