daaamn, so nice.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 12:06 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2626
Styleforum Top Picks
soggy day in NYC = natural cxl indys, courtesy of steven @ leffot.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Really nice pair of Indys. Looking for one of those for myself in my size, unfortunately haven't had any luck. I think I fell in love with cxl, constantly looking for new pairs .
P.S. Like your Momos
I'm looking for sites that carry boots on the Aberdeen, Hampton, Plaza and potentially the Grant Last. The more common Barrie and Trubalance do not work for me. I see the shoemart has a few options, can anyone else point out sites with stock? I'm guessing there might be a few collaborations out there. Thanks.
As always, when looking for boots or shoes in a particular last, call the Alden stores (SF, NYC, DC) to see what they have. Alden NYC and Alden DC both stock captoe boots on the grant last (NYC has them in black and color 8, DC also has them in cigar)...
Alden SF included color 8 paste wax with my color 8 boots
Alden DC is the king of goodies, though. I have received an extra pair of laces with each order. In addition, I have received a plastic shoe horn, paste wax, and Leather Defender with various orders.
I posted here a couple weeks ago asking whether anyone knew a good cobbler to restore my Alden for Brooks Brothers cordovan plain toe bluchers that I got a thrift store for $4, and was asked to report back... so here goes!
I researched the Alden factory and various stores all of which offer restoration for $160 with free shipping.. but I couldn't get clear answers from most of them when I emailed them photos of what I needed done. Someone recommended B. Nelson in New York as well, which looked less expensive, but I couldn't get a response from them either. I really wanted advice on whether it was worth it, whether they would last long enough, etc. Someone recommended Cobblers Corner in Northville which is on my way to work in Detroit, so I checked them out, expecting them to decline the work or that I wouldn't feel comfortable with them.
Anyway, the cobbler was very helpful and assured me that he could do a good job and that it was worth the price over a new pair. He clearly explained what he would do (rebuild up the heels, cork beds, replace leather on the inside to repair the heel counters, resole with JR leather soles, etc.) and offered me the option of getting cheaper vibram soles, which I declined. I also requested that he not polish the uppers because I wanted the patina preserved and didn't think they would ever make good glossy dress shoes, and I didn't really want that anyway. He was happy to oblige, but also disappointed because he thought he could do a great job polishing them.
Here's how they look now:
And the gallery with more photos and the before shots lower down on the page is here: http://www.rpmfg.org/images/blucher/index.html
I'm really happy. Final price was about $140 for everything, including new laces but not new shoe trees or bags. Worth the price for me to get to talk to the person doing the work and be sure of what they're doing.
Still wondering if anyone can date them from the markings (reproduced below). Alden of SF says a year ending in 7 like 1997 or 1987, possibly older. The metal ferules on the inside are heavily worn away from the laces so I think rather old. Does anyone at least know when Alden started making shoes for Brooks Brothers?
7 ½D 7H24 029
Cheers and thanks,
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- › Exquisite Trimmings - Based in London, UK - Official Affiliate Thread 32 seconds ago
- › 3sixteen Denim Series, Bracelets, Shirts... 53 seconds ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 4 minutes ago
- › White Dinner Jacket/Tuxedo Jacket for Houston wedding 4 minutes ago
- › NWT Awesome Purple Ralph Lauren Black Label Corduroy Pants! Size 28... 5 minutes ago
- › The Wide Fitting Shoe Trading Post (EEE / G width) 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...