daaamn, so nice.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 10/25/15 at 6:54pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2626
Styleforum Top Picks
soggy day in NYC = natural cxl indys, courtesy of steven @ leffot.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Really nice pair of Indys. Looking for one of those for myself in my size, unfortunately haven't had any luck. I think I fell in love with cxl, constantly looking for new pairs .
P.S. Like your Momos
I'm looking for sites that carry boots on the Aberdeen, Hampton, Plaza and potentially the Grant Last. The more common Barrie and Trubalance do not work for me. I see the shoemart has a few options, can anyone else point out sites with stock? I'm guessing there might be a few collaborations out there. Thanks.
As always, when looking for boots or shoes in a particular last, call the Alden stores (SF, NYC, DC) to see what they have. Alden NYC and Alden DC both stock captoe boots on the grant last (NYC has them in black and color 8, DC also has them in cigar)...
Alden SF included color 8 paste wax with my color 8 boots
Alden DC is the king of goodies, though. I have received an extra pair of laces with each order. In addition, I have received a plastic shoe horn, paste wax, and Leather Defender with various orders.
I posted here a couple weeks ago asking whether anyone knew a good cobbler to restore my Alden for Brooks Brothers cordovan plain toe bluchers that I got a thrift store for $4, and was asked to report back... so here goes!
I researched the Alden factory and various stores all of which offer restoration for $160 with free shipping.. but I couldn't get clear answers from most of them when I emailed them photos of what I needed done. Someone recommended B. Nelson in New York as well, which looked less expensive, but I couldn't get a response from them either. I really wanted advice on whether it was worth it, whether they would last long enough, etc. Someone recommended Cobblers Corner in Northville which is on my way to work in Detroit, so I checked them out, expecting them to decline the work or that I wouldn't feel comfortable with them.
Anyway, the cobbler was very helpful and assured me that he could do a good job and that it was worth the price over a new pair. He clearly explained what he would do (rebuild up the heels, cork beds, replace leather on the inside to repair the heel counters, resole with JR leather soles, etc.) and offered me the option of getting cheaper vibram soles, which I declined. I also requested that he not polish the uppers because I wanted the patina preserved and didn't think they would ever make good glossy dress shoes, and I didn't really want that anyway. He was happy to oblige, but also disappointed because he thought he could do a great job polishing them.
Here's how they look now:
And the gallery with more photos and the before shots lower down on the page is here: http://www.rpmfg.org/images/blucher/index.html
I'm really happy. Final price was about $140 for everything, including new laces but not new shoe trees or bags. Worth the price for me to get to talk to the person doing the work and be sure of what they're doing.
Still wondering if anyone can date them from the markings (reproduced below). Alden of SF says a year ending in 7 like 1997 or 1987, possibly older. The metal ferules on the inside are heavily worn away from the laces so I think rather old. Does anyone at least know when Alden started making shoes for Brooks Brothers?
7 ½D 7H24 029
Cheers and thanks,
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 3 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 8 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing,... 13 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 15 minutes ago
- › lefty's random dog thread. 19 minutes ago
- › Herring Shoes - Experiences? 20 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 34 minutes ago
- › Viberg for Styleforum GMTO Pre-orders available now until August 16. 36 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments USN Pants 41 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories