FYI Only: These are standard double leather soles. This is not the same shipment just received by Alden DC (waterloc double leather soles).
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 4:24 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2597post #38941 of 12241612/8/12 at 7:59pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #38942 of 12241612/8/12 at 8:19pmQuote:
I have to say that your comment is quite out of line. Nobody on SF is beyond questioning as long as the questions are asked in a cordial way with genuine interest for gaining or adding to the body of knowledge. If you are uncomfortable with asking someone questions, that's your problem not mine. Perhaps you can expound on your first comment by explaining why you think my question was in "poor taste." Asking someone's secret on how they keep their shoes looking so pristine is poor taste? Feel free to read through my post history if you want to read something contributive, they are there for all to see.post #38943 of 12241612/8/12 at 8:25pmpost #38944 of 12241612/8/12 at 8:33pmQuote:
The Modified last is great for a variety of foot shapes. The only exception might be someone with exceptionally flat feet, the agressive arch support may be uncomfortable. I have two pairs on the Modified. It's my favorite so far.post #38945 of 12241612/8/12 at 8:34pmQuote:
Wax is soluble in solvent, so I'd recommend showing them to your dry cleaner. If you want to try it yourself, get a can of electronics cleaner, which is relatively clean, impurity-wise, and will break down the wax. You may have some residual discoloration, but I'm sure it will get the shoes back to a serviceable state.post #38946 of 12241612/8/12 at 8:36pmpost #38947 of 12241612/8/12 at 8:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by Alpina
Wax is soluble in solvent, so I'd recommend showing them to your dry cleaner. If you want to try it yourself, get a can of electronics cleaner
, which is relatively clean, impurity-wise, and will break down the wax. You may have some residual discoloration, but I'm sure it will get the shoes back to a serviceable state.
As a final option, I thought maybe just dye them a different color?post #38948 of 12241612/8/12 at 8:57pmQuote:
Uncle Sam did you try placing a paper towel on them and using an iron on a low setting? It worked on carpet for me before (never tried on shoes) basically the iron heats up the wax and then it is absorbed by the paper towel. Good luck to you sir! I have 2 pairs of suede Aldens that I am afraid to wear sometimes, because I am afraid of dropping drinks, greasy foods on them. I had never even considered wax before. Leather is so much easier to clean.
post #38949 of 12241612/8/12 at 9:06pmQuote:
I believe the modified last would work well with Morton's toe - tough I have not put the theory to a test.
Though in my case the third toe is actually larger than both the first and second.post #38950 of 12241612/8/12 at 9:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by dsmivtr
I rotate shoes a fair amount so they last quite a while, at least a little over a couple of years? I don't however, wait until I get to the cork, I get resoled when it gets to past the first leather layer and starts to show the middle leather layer. Most of my walking is also on concrete so the wear is pretty rough.
If you transition out, all the guys in the AE threat will lose their 'insider' Definitely prefer Alden to AE for more casual footwear!
Thanks for your insight. I visit NY a few times per year, so I can imagine what you mean about the walking.
I am not sure I'll truly transition out of AEs, the reality is I have most of their shell offering I'm interested in, but they do a special makeup periodically. The Alden x J. Crew shell captoes and chukkas I acquired over the past year or so interested me more in Aldens, especially for their shell boot offerings.post #38951 of 12241612/8/12 at 11:43pmpost #38952 of 12241612/9/12 at 12:02ampost #38953 of 12241612/9/12 at 5:23amRavello, Ravello everywhere, but still no Epaulet Brixton boot. I think I've seen every major Alden retailer get a new shipment of Ravello in the last 2-3 weeks, so this pre-order should hopefully be coming soon.post #38954 of 12241612/9/12 at 5:33am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Cheap Pocket Squares 1 minute ago
- › Is this too much colour in an outfit guys? 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 5 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 12 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...