I agree. UPS is the worst!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 6:17 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2596post #38926 of 12241612/8/12 at 4:01pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #38927 of 12241612/8/12 at 4:01pmquick collection shot, as i had them out for a brushing on a lazy saturday. no exotic makeups, no exotic shells. just a couple of pair that go with pretty much anything.
back row, L to R:
#8 plain toe boots, plaza last on commando sole from J Gilbert
black shell captoe boot, barrie last on double leather sole from Alden SF
natural chromexcel NST, barrie last on double waterloc sole from the ShoeMart (listed on B&S as of this afternoon, still undecided)
#8 plain toe unlined blucher, barrie last on single oiled sole from Alden SF
snuff suede flex welt chukka, leydon last on single oiled sole from Alden SF
i feel like i just want one more brown calf shoe for casual office wear, and was hoping the NST would be it, but i'm thinking about letting them go due to fit issues. otherwise i'm pretty satisfied.
hope everyone has a great weekend.post #38928 of 12241612/8/12 at 4:13pmQuote:
I use USPS Priority quite alot, and usually have no problem getting delivery in the 2-3 day window USPS says is standard (but doesn't guarantee). During the holidays, however, they are all over the place (anywhere from 2-5 days). If they arrive Monday it will be 5 days.
In terms of FedEx v. UPS, I would take FedEx everytime.post #38929 of 12241612/8/12 at 4:21pmpost #38930 of 12241612/8/12 at 5:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent
I am still hoping he can clarify further. The whole break-in technique and the logic behind it is not a mystery to me. As I said, I follow the same techniques. The fact remains that the toes of leather soled shoes, almost without fail, show the upward curvature wear pattern (to different degrees amongst different people depending upon walking styles). The reason I posed the original question to McArthur is because he has pointed out the some of the shoes in these photos of his are decades old. They may well have been resoled recently enough (which he can easily clarify if that is the case), otherwise, it remains a mystery to me how the sole edges are essentially square (to use a carpenter's term). When I posed my original question, he simply replied that they are never worn on concrete. While possible, it would be unusual for decades old shoes to avoid concrete. People have lives, they have commutes, they run errands, they go out to eat during lunch hours, etc. I suspect Bucksfan is correct that McArthur's shoe collection is large enough to allow pairs of shoes to only be worn on rare occasions at best, which more than likely accounts for the almost new appearance.
I appreciate Uncle's posts and use his methodology exclusively. It is not our place to question McArthur, it's in poor taste, there.. done. Now post something contributive .. more gentlemanly, less bark and more wag son.post #38931 of 12241612/8/12 at 5:45pmpost #38932 of 12241612/8/12 at 5:53pmpost #38933 of 12241612/8/12 at 5:55pmpost #38934 of 12241612/8/12 at 6:10pmpost #38935 of 12241612/8/12 at 6:23pmpost #38936 of 12241612/8/12 at 6:32pmpost #38937 of 12241612/8/12 at 6:37pmQuote:
This was a special makeup by The Shoe Mart. The pulltabs were part of the design. I prefer the boots without but it's not a strong preference. Glad to have aided in someone's appreciation of captoe boots!post #38938 of 12241612/8/12 at 6:45pmpost #38939 of 12241612/8/12 at 6:48pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Carlos Santos Shoes - Feedback & Appreciation 10 seconds ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shell Cordovan Black Cherry UK11.5 Oscar Last Burdeos 4 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › thoughts on (asking for) price adjustments. 4 minutes ago
- › White Dinner Jacket/Tuxedo Jacket for Houston wedding 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...