ups is the worst mail service of the big 3. hands down.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 8:15 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2595post #38911 of 12241612/8/12 at 11:17am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #38912 of 12241612/8/12 at 11:33amQuote:
No, I didn't try a suede cleaner. The wax seems to be set into the suede, so I'm not sure how much a cleaner would help. I'm considering sending them to B. Nelson.post #38913 of 12241612/8/12 at 11:37amQuote:
I think what Mac is referring to is within the context of trying new shoes to determine if they fit well. Although some distributors will not accept returns on shell shoes with creases, keeping the soles like-new will definitely get a higher asking resale price on auctions, B&S, etc.post #38914 of 12241612/8/12 at 11:40amQuote:
I'm in a similar situation - from to the house to the garage to the car, from my spot in the parking garage 10 feet to the elevator, and from then on it's all carpeted. The only real wear is if I have a long walk to a restaurant from the parking lot or something. But, Mac also has a very large rotation, while I end up repeating shoes 2-3 times per month.post #38915 of 12241612/8/12 at 11:47amQuote:Originally Posted by bucksfan
I'm in a similar situation - from to the house to the garage to the car, from my spot in the parking garage 10 feet to the elevator, and from then on it's all carpeted. The only real wear is if I have a long walk to a restaurant from the parking lot or something. But, Mac also has a very large rotation, while I end up repeating shoes 2-3 times per month.
Bucksfan, good to see you on this other Americana thread! I am so totally on the other range of the spectrum. Living in NYC and one who would rather walk 10 blocks then hop on a subway for 1 stop, I think I must range anywhere from 4 to 5 miles during a workday and more on weekends (which is a reason why I wear my double leather soled Aldens then). I don't know if it's just me but I do find some satisfaction getting wear out of my shoes.post #38916 of 12241612/8/12 at 12:25pm^ good to be seen, thanks. I am beginning to increase my Alden collection, so I figured I'd start adding to the conversation over here
How long does a double sole last you, out of curiosity? I have them on my Alden for j. Crew captoes and Chukkas.post #38917 of 12241612/8/12 at 12:55pmQuote:
I rotate shoes a fair amount so they last quite a while, at least a little over a couple of years? I don't however, wait until I get to the cork, I get resoled when it gets to past the first leather layer and starts to show the middle leather layer. Most of my walking is also on concrete so the wear is pretty rough.
If you transition out, all the guys in the AE threat will lose their 'insider' Definitely prefer Alden to AE for more casual footwear!post #38918 of 12241612/8/12 at 1:11pmQuote:Quote:Quote:
Thanks everyone, maybe the photos are a little dark, here is a comparison with my Ravello PTBpost #38919 of 12241612/8/12 at 1:21pmpost #38920 of 12241612/8/12 at 1:22pmpost #38921 of 12241612/8/12 at 1:27pmpost #38922 of 12241612/8/12 at 1:28pmGentlemen,
Last night I got a great deal on a pair of color 8 shell tassel loafers. I already have a pair of color 8 tassels -- the BB model. I am on the fence about keeping them only because they will be a dupilicate. I have thought about possibly trading them. Of course they are on the Aberdeen last and they are size 9D. If anyone is interested in the trade PM me. I may just keep them under the theory you can't ever have too many pairs of tassel loafers. Not sure what I would trade them for, but I am generally a 9 or 9.5 in Alden shoes.post #38923 of 12241612/8/12 at 1:30pmQuote:
I would first try warm water and dish soap. Not the kind you put in the diswasher but the kind you use in the sink--that and a scrub brush.
Edited by Burton - 12/8/12 at 4:02pmpost #38924 of 12241612/8/12 at 1:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by dsmivtr
I think what Mac is referring to is within the context of trying new shoes to determine if they fit well. Although some distributors will not accept returns on shell shoes with creases, keeping the soles like-new will definitely get a higher asking resale price on auctions, B&S, etc.
I am still hoping he can clarify further. The whole break-in technique and the logic behind it is not a mystery to me. As I said, I follow the same techniques. The fact remains that the toes of leather soled shoes, almost without fail, show the upward curvature wear pattern (to different degrees amongst different people depending upon walking styles). The reason I posed the original question to McArthur is because he has pointed out the some of the shoes in these photos of his are decades old. They may well have been resoled recently enough (which he can easily clarify if that is the case), otherwise, it remains a mystery to me how the sole edges are essentially square (to use a carpenter's term). When I posed my original question, he simply replied that they are never worn on concrete. While possible, it would be unusual for decades old shoes to avoid concrete. People have lives, they have commutes, they run errands, they go out to eat during lunch hours, etc. I suspect Bucksfan is correct that McArthur's shoe collection is large enough to allow pairs of shoes to only be worn on rare occasions at best, which more than likely accounts for the almost new appearance.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 27 seconds ago
- › Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and... 4 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 4 minutes ago
- › *** Official Norwegian Rain Bergen by T Michael Thread ******** -... 9 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 11 minutes ago
- › Articles of Style shop? 12 minutes ago
- › Nigel Cabourn 21 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 21 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 22 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 23 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?