I would like to score the Ravello PTBs from Anatomica before I surrender to the onslaught of rising shell prices.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2577post #38642 of 12241612/4/12 at 3:32pmQuote:
Hey Mr. C., did you have those J.Crew #8 captoes recrafted or resoled? Can't tell for sure from the pic, but it looks like the welt/sole edging is lighter than the black that mine have. The lighter or antique edging would have been my preference. Great collection!post #38643 of 12241612/4/12 at 3:50pmQuote:
I wish I could try this size on. I have the Indy 403 in an 8.5D. With Smartwool Light Crew socks, the 8.5 fit easily. Not snug at all but not slipping out of them.
I also wear an 8.5 In Red Wings Iron Rangers as another shoe fit. Is there any reason to think the Cordovan 8D would fit? IF so I am very interested, I prefer the double leather over the commando sole so these would be perfect.post #38644 of 12241612/4/12 at 3:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by Explorer
I own three pairs of Alden Indy Tobacco Chamois. One pair is one year old and the two other pairs are about three months old. When I originally bought the first pair, it was recommended to me to use Allen Edmonds Chamois Oil and apply it to the boots with a horse hair brush whenever the boots get dry. Well, I did not buy the Allen Edmonds Chamois Oil then, thinking that it may be a while before I needed the chamois oil. When I try to buy the Allen Edmonds Chamois Oil about three months ago, I was told that Allen Edmonds has discontinued the product. My one year old boots are still in an amazing great shape. The only care I have been doing is brushing the boots with a horse hair brush every other day or as needed. I have been also recommended to use Obenauf's Leather Oil when the boots get dry (I have not tried that yet). I have been using my boots in Africa (my home is in Arizona but I am currently working in Africa) and although the weather here in Africa is hot and humid and lots of rain, the boots are still clean, the leather is still supple, and looking great. These are, in my humble opinion, one of the best and most functional Alden Indy boots ever created and produced.
I found that Russell's Mocassins bootmaker sells chamois oil in a bottle for the care of their chamois leather boots. I ordered one bottle and once I receive it I will test the chamois oil on a small section of my boots to see how it works. Other than the above, I have been also asking other owners of the Alden Indy Tobacco Chamois boots how they care for their boots. So far, brushing them with a horse hair brush has worked magnificently.
I hope the above helps. If anyone knows a better way to care for the chamois leather boots, please let us know.
Thank you -
Thanks, George! For anyone else interested, I treated mine with Montana Pitch Blend, which I love for CXL. It darkened the chamois quite a bit & seems to have made the boots into dust magnets, so it was probably not the best choice for this leather. Thank you for the post.post #38645 of 12241612/4/12 at 4:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by szerwo
Sorry for the long-windedness of this post but I have a bit of an interesting sizing situation here.
On a recent trip to NYC I bought my first pair of Aldens, some Whiskey Cordovan Indy's in size 9EEE. I typically wear size 11 in boots, but when I was looking at the shoe on display it looked about the right size. Turns out it was, and in fact was the best fitting boot I'd ever worn. When I remarked how odd it was that a size 9EEE fit right, the sales associate said that for each width rating, Aldens tend to go up half a size in lenght (*scratching head*).
Fast forward a few months and I pick up a pair of second hand CXL plain toe boots on the True Balance last, this time in size 11. The outsoles are the exact same length. Turns out the guy was essentially right. The difference however is in the fit of the uppers. The 11 is shaped for a foot with roughly the same shape but much more girth than the 9EEE (particularly in the heel cup). The 11 works for me with a tight lacing and thick socks, but I prefer the fit of the 9.
To add to all this, I saw an ebay post for some 10E's that had the same outsole measurements as my 9EE and 11D. So at this stage I'm starting to believe that I could probably fit multiple Aldens by playing with the length/width combo: 9EEE, 9.5EE, and 10E. Weirdest thing ever but sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. My goal is to find which one is the optimal fit, but it's difficult to find Aldens to try on in SoCal.
So my question to you guys is whether anyone here has had a similar situation? What ended up being the best fit in the end? And finally, who would be best to talk to about this before I order my next pair? Someone at Alden (is that possible)? Or maybe someone from a particular retailer?
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
Photo proof below, 11D's on top, 9EEE's on bottom:
Would love to work this out as well.
I have 9EE Indys, and noone ever has EE, only Ds. I would love to be able to order Ds that fit, to save a lot of waiting time.post #38646 of 12241612/4/12 at 4:48pmQuote:
How are you finding that the Hampton fit? True Size + 1 width? or no?
I have been eyeing the Perf Cap Toe Bal in back and #8 to wear with a suits. The only problem is that I don't wear suits anymore. But I may again one day soon.post #38647 of 12241612/4/12 at 5:08pmpost #38648 of 12241612/4/12 at 5:19pmpost #38649 of 12241612/4/12 at 5:31pmQuote:
yup had the edge and welt redone and B nelson with commando sole. i'm surprised that noone has done a perf cap toe boot in #8 with antique edgepost #38650 of 12241612/4/12 at 5:43pmQuote:
Thanks. That explains it. If one doesn't need the #8 boot to be dressy, the more casual look of an antique edge with the #8 (or cigar for that matter), makes for an awesome looking combination. Good choice on going with that.post #38651 of 12241612/4/12 at 6:40pmQuote:
thank you! that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to a straight cap on grant last and double leather sole to have something on the dressier side.post #38652 of 12241612/4/12 at 6:46pmpost #38653 of 12241612/4/12 at 6:49pmQuote:
two wonderful additions to your wardrobe, wearing in good health, remember the break in methodpost #38654 of 12241612/4/12 at 6:50pmpost #38655 of 12241612/4/12 at 6:52pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 6 minutes ago
- › Blazer to Las Vegas Nightclub? 8 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 10 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE FOR FEBRUARY 17, 2017: THE DIFFICULT TIE 11 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 17 17 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 24 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 26 minutes ago
- › All Styles Considered: An Arts Magazine from StyleForum Users 28 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 31 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 32 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway