Would like to see some top views of this shoe. Are all your shoes (next post) on the modified last? Did you have to size down for the mod. last? Thanks.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 5:06 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2535post #38011 of 12241611/27/12 at 6:18ampost #38012 of 12241611/27/12 at 6:28ampost #38013 of 12241611/27/12 at 6:28am
Nice to see some well worn Aldens! I think there needs to be more pictures in this thread of Aldens that don't look like they are on their first wearing fresh out of the box. Something more along the lines of Simon Crompton's series of posts about "How Great Things Age" on Permanent Style.post #38014 of 12241611/27/12 at 6:40amQuote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent
Nice to see some well worn Aldens! I think there needs to be more pictures in this thread of Aldens that don't look like they are on their first wearing fresh out of the box. Something more along the lines of Simon Crompton's series of posts about "How Great Things Age" on Permanent Style.
the hole in your assumption is that if shoes are properly taken care of, they should look like they just came out of the box.
these wt maybe older then youpost #38015 of 12241611/27/12 at 6:43ampost #38016 of 12241611/27/12 at 6:48am
Nice to see balmorals posted, looking great!Quote:
Looking good & welcome to the forum. Try Alex, top notch.
http://www.customshirt1.com/post #38017 of 12241611/27/12 at 6:51ampost #38018 of 12241611/27/12 at 6:58am
That's good to know, sounds like and arduous process. I'd like to try a pair made of this material one of these days.
Beautiful.post #38019 of 12241611/27/12 at 7:05amQuote:
I was waiting for someone to argue that point. What you say is correct to a degree, and I am in no way advocating neglect of shoes. However, shoes age just like everything else and the beauty of high quality shoes is that the older they get, the more character they have. The phrase frequently found in these forums is that "they get better with age." If this is true (and I believe that it is), then the notion that they should look like they just came out of the box contradicts this. Using your logic, new shoes and aged shoes that have had impeccable care should look nearly similar. If they look better with age, then what is it that looks better about them if they look like they just came out of the box? Your shoes look fantastic, but I can't say if they are older than me unless you tell me how old they are. Without that vital piece of information your comment sounds more like a condescending pat on the head. I'm not offended here, so please don't misunderstand me. Shoe character is a subjective topic.post #38020 of 12241611/27/12 at 7:31amI prefer old shoes that look new to old shoes that look old. Old shoes, well taken care of, will have a tendency to look new - and that is precisiely the point in taking care of them well. Just one man's opinion ....post #38021 of 12241611/27/12 at 7:31ampost #38022 of 12241611/27/12 at 7:34amQuote:Originally Posted by slam
Hey guys, I got a question about J.Crew longwing blutchers in #8. It says they come with a crepe sole. How is that shoe? I was thinking of ordering some until I noticed it doesn't come with a leather sole. Now I'm leaning towards the waxed version. Any suggestions? I have been primarily looking at J.Crew since I have a gift card there right now I could burn.
What are your other favorites at J.Crew? I have the captoe in #8 and some Indy's. Looking for a 3rd pair.
Don't get anything with a crepe sole unless your intent is to wear it 100% of the time in casual settings.post #38023 of 12241611/27/12 at 7:35am
In the shell Long Wing I wear a size 13 D, but in the tassel loafer, like the 664 model in both shell and calf, I wear a size 14 D. In the suede and cordovan loafers that I've posted, I wear a size 13 E, then have so consistently for over the past twenty years. Alden has been pretty consistent for me over the years, and I have no complaints in regard to quality, and basically these are the Alden shoes that look best on me.
However, I am completely ticked off that they don't make the joints that are shown from Alden Of Carmel, in my size range. I've called, and the dude on the other end of the line will say, nope they don't come in that size!
I am so jealous of you micro foot mofo's on here showing such hipness......congrats!
Edited by Eleganza - 11/27/12 at 7:45ampost #38024 of 12241611/27/12 at 7:48ampost #38025 of 12241611/27/12 at 7:52amQuote:
I'm sure you take care of your shoes as well as anybody does, but given the 50?100?200? pairs of you have, your 20+ YO wingtips might have been worn literally as many times as my 2 year old boots.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Official Sales Alert thread 35 seconds ago
- › Pierpont Leather - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 4 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 6 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 8 minutes ago
- › Where to find a concave shoulder suit? 10 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 16 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding