Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 2:46 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2509post #37621 of 12241611/18/12 at 8:24ampost #37622 of 12241611/18/12 at 9:17amQuote:Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguyQuote:
All of my Alden boots are shell, so in my personal collection I guess I wouldn't have a comparable.
I really do like these and the fit is great. I went TTS - 9.5D. Interestingly, these boots from RL said 9.5D (UK8.5), whereas my dark brown shell marlows - also from RL - were labeled 9.5D (UK9E). Each pair fits my feet the same. Because they are calf, I will probably have an easier time beating them up - not that I will try to beat them up, just won't be quite as particular about the conditions I wear them in. Overall I am very happy with the purchase - they retail for $1,100 and I got them for $655. Strangely enough, the RL website was selling the same boot - in brown shell - at the same price point.
RL has always sold their black calf and brown shell for the same price when they offer both.
Cheers to your black Lindricks. I was tempted to get some but I already have black shell j crew wingtip boots. I like the shape of the Lindricks better tho.post #37623 of 12241611/18/12 at 10:23amQuote:Originally Posted by sqroot3
in my experience, tongue slipping occurs because of the way the shoe is constructed. sometimes the tongue leather is just a little bit canted compared to the main axis of the shoe. this becomes quite pronounced with boots, which obviously have long tongues.
both the left and right tongues on my barrie boots cant to the right of the shoe's axis.
That would account for the problem as well, I hadn't looked at mine that closely but will take a look at this next time. Thanks for the input.post #37624 of 12241611/18/12 at 11:19ampost #37625 of 12241611/18/12 at 1:37pmpost #37626 of 12241611/18/12 at 1:53pmpost #37627 of 12241611/18/12 at 6:01pmpost #37628 of 12241611/18/12 at 7:05pmpost #37629 of 12241611/18/12 at 7:23pm
^ C&J definitely has better fit and finish, and a higher level of quality control. Generally sleeker and more refined, consistent with its English heritage. I don't think anyone would dispute that. Alden, however, has some very classic makeups and a certain clunkiness that appeals to a large segment of the population, myself included. I'd also add that there is room in one's collection for both brands, and then some. I consider myself a loyal fan of both, as do many on this thread.post #37630 of 12241611/18/12 at 7:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by thebeebs
^ C&J definitely has better fit and finish, and a higher level of quality control. Generally sleeker and more refined, consistent with its English heritage. I don't think anyone would dispute that. Alden, however, has some very classic makeups and a certain clunkiness that appeals to a large segment of the population, myself included. I'd also add that there is room in one's collection for both brands, and then some. I consider myself a loyal fan of both, as do many on this thread.
agreed completely. my primary collections is split equally between the two brands. but everything you said is dead on re. quality.post #37631 of 12241611/18/12 at 7:30pmQuote:
I have way more Aldens but think the C&Js are a much better shoe, especially if purchased at the private sales' pricespost #37632 of 12241611/18/12 at 7:51pm
Good to know. I became more educated about fine shoe after reading Alden thread. I used to buy many different shoe brands, but they go out of style and sitting in my closet after couple wears. It is extremely wasteful when you see your expensive shoe go out of date. So I guess you don't have much choice when you look for classic quality shoes.
post #37633 of 12241611/18/12 at 10:52pmQuote:Quote:Originally Posted by Kashiwa
It's a bit off the beaten track (for retail at least). It's located on the right (south) bank of the Kanda River right before it empties into the Sumida. More specifically, it's in the block of buildings between the last two bridges over the Kanda. Apparently it wasn't there yet when the Google van came through so you won't find it on street-view. There's a few stations around, but it's an interesting walk over the Sumida from Ryogoku (sumo town) on the Sobu line. PM if you can't find it.
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate that. Seems like I had been looking in the correct area on google, however discarded it since I could not see the store on street-view. So thanks for the hint Kashiwa. Will probably be back to Tokyo in January and will have a look for Anatomicas Alden collection then.post #37634 of 12241611/19/12 at 1:15ampost #37635 of 12241611/19/12 at 1:18am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Cars We Drive! 1 minute ago
- › Blazer for a melange shirt 2 minutes ago
- › DROPS!! FS : Dark Brown Coach Bleecker Leather Backpack+GIFT!. STEP... 3 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 8 minutes ago
- › Tod's Gommini Suede Driving Loafers (Navy Blue) - 8.5 10 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge 2016/09/30 - "Blue and Green Now Must Be Seen" 10 minutes ago
- › Shoes for narrow heel and wide toes? 11 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 11 minutes ago
- › The Proper Kit Trunk Show, Saturday, Nov 5, New York, by Styleforum... 12 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...