Alden's "tan" calfskin may be its best. The Obscura boots / shoes were awesome.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 10:15 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2416post #36226 of 12241610/16/12 at 1:01pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #36227 of 12241610/16/12 at 1:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by MarioImpemba
I mirror,or "bull", the toe-end of all my calf shoes. I feel the shine lends itself to formality as it not only represents an investment in time and care, but parallels the aforementioned orthodox formal footwear such as opera pumps and patent leather. I guess I missed the memo where this is really just turning them tacky. Shell is just that much better because the entire shoe retains some degree of shine with minimal investment.
Mario is speaking the truth.post #36228 of 12241610/16/12 at 1:09pmpost #36229 of 12241610/16/12 at 2:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by mcbrown
Alden does sleeker dress shoes just fine, IMO:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Very nice. I'm currently looking for my next pair, and this looks like something I'll definitely have to take into consideration.post #36230 of 12241610/16/12 at 2:20pmpost #36231 of 12241610/16/12 at 2:23pmpost #36232 of 12241610/16/12 at 3:06pmpost #36233 of 12241610/16/12 at 4:29pmpost #36234 of 12241610/16/12 at 6:40pmpost #36235 of 12241610/16/12 at 6:43pmpost #36236 of 12241610/16/12 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy
I too like the English makers.
And, since you mentioned JL above, as but one example of a non-Alden shoe, I own a double monk dark brown calf John Lobb that is perhaps the finest double monk shoe I have ever seen. Moving on.
This (bold) makes it hard to take you seriously. It really does. I have calf and shell shoes for formal settings. I easily prefer shell, but I have no problem if another prefers calf. If you prefer calf, fine - but to then say shell looks tacky/cheap makes you lose credibility, and appear almost silly.
I have all the brands you speak of, though my total comes in around seven-fold of yours.
Hence the name - then again, maybe we should change it to Sevenfoldyourcollectionguypost #36237 of 12241610/16/12 at 8:16pmpost #36238 of 12241610/16/12 at 8:20pmpost #36239 of 12241610/16/12 at 8:28pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Currently, there are 977 Active Users (132 Members and 845 Guests)
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 18 seconds ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 11 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Best Value Tailor in Hong Kong 13 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 28 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part Three 31 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?