I think I'm in the minority that prefers the darker edge trim with ravello, perhaps excluding loafers. It definitely allows them to be dressed up a bit more.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 4:07 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2383post #35732 of 12241610/7/12 at 2:08pmpost #35733 of 12241610/7/12 at 2:13pmpost #35734 of 12241610/7/12 at 2:18pmpost #35735 of 12241610/7/12 at 2:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by BootSpell
Thanks for sharing your Chorizo-ized boots. Yes ideally, I'd send the boots as soon as I got them to B Nelson and have them replace the welting with antiqued edging, top included. I'd have to think whether I'd want split reverse welting.
However, I think I'm going to try to do what I can myself at the beginning. Did you do that work yourself? Even the top of the edging? Because it looks quite light.
did nothing myself...went straight to b nelson hahapost #35736 of 12241610/7/12 at 2:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by zippyh
Weather is cooling so I got the cordovan wingtip boots out of storage.
Ravello, black, cigar Aldens and a pair of C&J for Polo Lindricks.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wore my cigar wingtip boots on Friday too.post #35737 of 12241610/7/12 at 5:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by BootSpell
I will definitely research the swab method because a previous post said the sanding took a lot of elbow grease. But I can imagine with the swab approach one needs to be really careful.
You are right to bring up the top of the edging. I had planned to just leave the top as is and see if it bothered me before doing anything about it. Interestingly enough, the pics of the #8 LWB's a few posts back seem to have antique edging but with the top looking quite dark. But maybe that was just the picture.
Thanks to both of you for your input. I will post before and after pics.
I sanded the black trim off of my unlined cordo LHS and my Leather Soul Tanker boots recently, applying the allen edmonds chili edge dressing. I've been thrilled with the results.
While I haven't tried the alcohol method my .02 on sanding is that both pairs I did this to were pretty beaten up and had scuffed/faded edges already. In this case I feel like the sanding helped smooth out what was already a pretty haggard looking sole edge. If i were to do the same on a brand new pair I'd try the swab method since you're dealing with a smooth edge to begin with.
I can post pics of the results tomorrow, but yes, others have done the same before I have and I think it's a great look.
FWIW, I'm considering the J Crew #8 captoe boot myself and, after seeing the results i got with these pairs, would not hesitate to do the same to that pair.post #35738 of 12241610/7/12 at 6:09pm
has anyone stopped into Alden DC recently? wondering if they have any interesting makeups at the moment, i.e. something you cant hop online to purchase from other retailers) i need to make a trip out there but would like it to coincide with the exchange of some monies lolpost #35739 of 12241610/7/12 at 7:40pmpost #35740 of 12241610/7/12 at 7:55pmpost #35741 of 12241610/7/12 at 8:40pmA CXL grab from the recent seconds blast. I had my doubts, but they're growing on me. Fortunately, I've had pretty good luck the last couple of times I've rolled the 2nds dice. I've had 1st qualities that showed far worse defects than these. It'll be interesting to see what retailer this model shows up at.post #35742 of 12241610/7/12 at 8:43pmpost #35743 of 12241610/7/12 at 9:09pmpost #35744 of 12241610/7/12 at 9:17pmpost #35745 of 12241610/7/12 at 9:48pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 10 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 12 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 7 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 7 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 17 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 17 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 18 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...