I have a pair. What are your concerns?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 9:50 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: Today
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2362post #35416 of 1224169/29/12 at 9:00am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #35417 of 1224169/29/12 at 9:36amQuote:
when there are 8 inches of snow on the ground, and ankle high slush puddles...you're basically a fool to be walking around in anything but true winter waterproof/insulated boots. as has been said many times, any smooth sole like the classic Indy sole is useless on snow/ice. might as well be leather.
that said, there are only a handful of those days a year. last winter there was one where I actually needed my Bean boots. but you'll need to be prepared with something you're ok with in snow storms.post #35418 of 1224169/29/12 at 10:01am
Just a PSA for anyone who orders from JCrew.com, created an account at FatWallet.com and then you can get 3% cashback on your purchases (they pay you via PayPal):
(search J Crew there)
This is in addition to any cashback that you may already get via a cash rewards credit card. ;)post #35419 of 1224169/29/12 at 10:11ampost #35420 of 1224169/29/12 at 10:58amQuote:Originally Posted by ElDave
I won't argue with you for a second on that - they are very ugly. But, at a certain point, any thought of style dies and you have to go for pure function. That point is usually mid-winter, when it's dark when you leave for work, dark when you get home, and there's 12" or more of snow on the ground.
Haha oh man can't wait for those days!
So you'd recommend the Indys and that they are okay for most weather conditions with proper preventative Maintenence, yet grab ugly and cheap boots for those real bad days?post #35421 of 1224169/29/12 at 12:53pmIMO the Indys can handle any day you throw at them without issue, particularly if you have the appropriate sole. There is no need for beaters. Indys ARE beaters. And I speak from Calgary; it hits -30 every winter where I live for weeks.post #35422 of 1224169/29/12 at 4:02pm
So I went ahead with the Indy 403 resole. The cobbler ended up stitching the right shoe's welt pretty funky, but I guess that gives it more character, right? Overall, I'm happy to give new life to my favorite boots. The only real issue so far is that the new thicker lug-soles they don't fit in my bike's toe clips anymore.post #35423 of 1224169/29/12 at 4:37pmpost #35424 of 1224169/29/12 at 4:47pmpost #35425 of 1224169/29/12 at 5:26pm
I have two pairs of Truflare wingtips, the burgundy and alpine grain. Awesome shoes. They fit TTS. The Atom used to be on the trueflare but recent makeups have been on the Barrie or the Tremont as on the Leffot pre-order list.Quote:post #35426 of 1224169/29/12 at 5:28pmpost #35427 of 1224169/29/12 at 5:30pmpost #35428 of 1224169/29/12 at 7:04pmFYI - I would much prefer an Alden color 8 belt (and cigar and ravello as well), but they are pretty much impossible to find in my experience. I therefore just bought one from Allen Edmonds. They are on sale and have free shipping. Mine arrived quickly and is very nice.post #35429 of 1224169/29/12 at 7:12pmQuote:
I was fortunate however, I was able to get the last Alden Color 8 belt in my size about a month ago from Shoe Mart.
All the other places I tried did not have one in my size in stock, and they had no idea when Alden was cutting any more.post #35430 of 1224169/29/12 at 7:17pmQuote:
curious how the AE #8 looks in real life, got any pics you can post? I'm trying to match a belt to a couple pr of alden #8 that are definitely more on the eggplant end of the spectrum, but am finding most online vendors pics of #8 belts tend to be more burgundy
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 4 minutes ago
- › REEVES OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD 4 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › Recent flawless Hackett Beige Cotton Sport Coat half lined US38R EU48R 6 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge for February 5th 2016 - The Green Jacket 8 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 9 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 11 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 12 minutes ago
- › Ten Ties, Five Jackets (10/5 thread) 16 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...