I think there are differing opinions on this. For balmorals, some say a no brogue cap toe is the most formal, whereas some say a no brogue plain toe or wholecut is most formal (since these are more plain than a cap toe).
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2337post #35041 of 1224169/20/12 at 11:52ampost #35042 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:14pmpost #35043 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:22pm
Ok, first, I beg for forgivness. My question is about another brand. By way of explanation, I had a pair of Alden black, shell wingtip bals that were too big, so I sold them on eBay for and placed an order with NRO for another pair at the 25% discount. It was cancelled by them. Instead of ordering another pair of black Aldens, I decided to have an old pair of J&M Crown Aristocrafts refurbished and put the extra funds into two pair of shell LWBs, cigar and color 8.
The refurbished pair of JMs look great, and fit well. My problem is that they sqeak. I can't tell if it is the heel or the leather across the arch. Any ideas? I am leaning towards taking them to a local J&M store and letting them take care of it, but if there is an easy fix I can do, i would prefer that.
Thanks for any help.post #35044 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:26pmQuote:
Traditional rules of fashion would make the case for the following, in terms of formality (all balmorals):
2 captoe (straight tip)
3 captoe (perf tip)
4 captoe (madallion toe)
For the first 3, the differences are negligible. All 4, IMO, can easily be worn with suits. Number 1 is the least versatile (I used to own the black shell plaintoe bal on the Aberdeen; they felt out of place unless with a Suit) . Number 4 is, obviously, the least plain.post #35045 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:26pmpost #35046 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:38pmNon-Alden post, but a lot of you like shell cordovan rugged perforated captoe boots, so I'd thought I'd pass this along for those that have not seen this already.
I've given Wolverine boots as a gift and tried them on (don't own any), they are well madepost #35047 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:45pm^ Epaulet has the same boot up as well:
http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1790/Mens-Shell-Cordovan-744/Detailpost #35048 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Non-Alden post, but a lot of you like shell cordovan rugged perforated captoe boots, so I'd thought I'd pass this along for those that have not seen this already.
I've given Wolverine boots as a gift and tried them on (don't own any), they are well made
That's a great boot, I just can't figure out the damn sizing. Fits like Barrie. Generous Barriepost #35049 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:52pmquick question: for my birthday/Christrmas shoe, i'm thinking a non-brogued natural CXL boot on the barrie last. something casual, jeans and chinos only. i know there's a lot of choices on the trubalance last, but i'm afraid of going non-barrie given all the problems i seem to have with sizing.
for what i'm looking for, is leathersoul (NST tanker boot; plain toe crepe sole boot) the only game in town?post #35050 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:52pmpost #35051 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:53pmpost #35052 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:53pmAnyone have experience with the "copely" last? From Unionmade's photos, it looks wider than Aberdeen and closer to something like Van or Barrie.
http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Sutter_Tassel_Mocc_in_Brown_Alpine_Grain_6038.htmlpost #35053 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:54pm
beautiful. i'm really starting to think that the alden for j crew #8 perf captoe boot on the barrie last is the single best and most versatile alden makeup anywhere.
Edited by mexicutioner - 9/20/12 at 2:17pmpost #35054 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:55pmpost #35055 of 1224169/20/12 at 12:56pmThey look great but I'm confused on the market they are going for. Having no edge trim looks rough but the actual leather is sweet. The cap pushes it into being too nice. Maybe too nice for denim.
I could not wear them at the factory, I can tell by the sole that my back would be killing me by the end of the day. Plus,are just a little too dandy. Most of the workers are ex-cons and it just wouldn't fit in. I guess I do like that they are trying different things, though. Can you tell these confuse me?
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 5 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 7 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 8 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 18 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 19 minutes ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 19 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 23 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 26 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 32 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › How to Buy a Women Dress Online That Puts on...
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway