or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 231  

post #3451 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post
Which shoe is that on the left and what last is it on?

After PMs with iansir, it turned out that the shoes you are asking is in fact non-stock shoes of Alden and actually a special make up for theshoemart. The link is below:

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men...n_cap_toe.html

Now my opinion has completely changed: In my opinion pebble grain calf creases less or show them less or the creases form less deeper. Since the creases of these pebble grain shoes show more creases, assuming that they have been worn equally under same or similar conditions, soft calfskin seems to be better in terms of showing creases.
post #3452 of 122416
I had opened the below thread regarding Alden suede quality and received quite abundant replies:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=152721

However, I did not receive any reply to my main question, which was about whether there is any difference between the suede of non-flex welted Alden shoes and flex welted Alden shoes, other than the fact that the latter is softer.

I will appreciate if you can comment on any respect that you find different. Thanks!
post #3453 of 122416
Does anyone know how these shoes fit: http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneSpec...?CategoryID=34 I am a 10.5 E in AE Cliftons, and a 11 E in AE Fifth Avenue which is the same last as the Park Avenues. I think I might jump on these for that price, would a 10.5 E be fine?
post #3454 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy View Post
Does anyone know how these shoes fit:
http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneSpec...?CategoryID=34

I am a 10.5 E in AE Cliftons, and a 11 E in AE Fifth Avenue which is the same last as the Park Avenues. I think I might jump on these for that price, would a 10.5 E be fine?

I have those - they fit true to size for me (the benchmark being Cole Haan Collection).
post #3455 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalanigee View Post
So did you guys go true to size? Or size down a half?
Half size down in Barrie, true to size in Grant. Grant fits me better under that scenario. I would call Grant 1/4 size larger than TTS. So a 9.5 in Grant is a 9.75 in most other dress shoes.
post #3456 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg428 View Post
After PMs with iansir, it turned out that the shoes you are asking is in fact non-stock shoes of Alden and actually a special make up for theshoemart. The link is below:

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men...n_cap_toe.html

Now my opinion has completely changed: In my opinion pebble grain calf creases less or show them less or the creases form less deeper. Since the creases of these pebble grain shoes show more creases, assuming that they have been worn equally under same or similar conditions, soft calfskin seems to be better in terms of showing creases.

The pebble grain leather of those cap toes is different than your typical Alden pebble grain - it has much less grain to it, it is much smoother. In my opinion it creases nearly the same as typical Alden calfskin - I don't have any pairs to compare with directly right now but have owned them in the past.
post #3457 of 122416
One of my laces already broke from my J Crew Indys. What's a good, durable and maybe waxed version I could get as a replacement?
post #3458 of 122416
Slappy, in my experience the Hampton fits true to size, and is similar to the AE Park Avenue last. I wear a 9 in both Park Avenue and Alden Hamptons.

Kalanigee, I go a half size down for both Grant and Barrie.

Astan, aldenshop.com isn't the site for Alden of New England, but one of their independent retailers. Specifically, it's for the store located on Sutter St. in San Francisco. They have a crappy site, but excellent service if you call them up with inquiries about specific models.
post #3459 of 122416
Did shoe mart just increase all their prices on alden shoes by $20? Very unfortunate.
post #3460 of 122416
Thread Starter 
Not good news but if 20 bucks affects your ability to purchase $500 shoes then perhaps you shouldn't be buying $500 shoes.
post #3461 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by machochino View Post
Did shoe mart just increase all their prices on alden shoes by $20? Very unfortunate.

it's not just shoemart, Alden is increasing prices. countdown to a $700 Alden is on...
post #3462 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by machochino View Post
Did shoe mart just increase all their prices on alden shoes by $20? Very unfortunate.
Actually not all. The price for shell cordovan cap toe bals in both #8 and black is lowered from $595 to $567. I know it was $595 because I bought a pair about 1 month ago.
post #3463 of 122416
aldenshop is owned by Alden.
post #3464 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by machochino View Post
Did shoe mart just increase all their prices on alden shoes by $20? Very unfortunate.

Alden actually raised their prices on 2/28. It looks like they had ShoeMart do the same. Tom could probably speak to this better than I can, but for the most part, I'm pretty sure Alden dictates the prices on most of the models, at least for the non-exclusive shoes/boots made up for retailers.
post #3465 of 122416
Actually, I think Shoemart prices only increased about $10 on their dress shoe offerings.

Tom - Is your soon to be Beverly Hills location the building diagonally across from Brooks Brothers? Just drove through the intersection on the way to lunch and remembered you were going to open on Santa Monica Blvd.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.