Just spend enough time here and you'll be posting close-up pics of yourself in argyle socks and calling men you've never met uncle. I don't know which is worse.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 10/25/15 at 6:54pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2200
Styleforum Top Picks
They are really nice ... And not in a 9e ... Sigh ...
In the last few days there has been some back and forth about shell v. calf on the AE thread. I added a comment or two about it. Below I am reproducing a post I made over on that thread earlier today. I would highly recommend each shoe pictured, particularly if your dress is of the business professional variety.
For a second those photos made me wish I had pre-ordered cordovan instead of calf. I don't have any alden calf yet though, and these will fit my needs well. This is also my first plaza and I'm kinda excited.
I've owned my first pair of Aldens for a couple weeks now and just wanted to thank you guys for providing a great forum. I based much of my purchase decision on your posts and it was on this thread that I heard about the Tom Austin sale that made it possible to get my first pair. I bought a color 8 longwing floor model that was lovingly restored to somewhat match the left, which sat quietly in a box since 2002. They couldn't be considered firsts or even seconds, but it's the imperfections and mismatched color that endear them to me.
Though this will surely be shunned by the argyle devotees, I usually wear mine without socks. I prefer the feel of the shoes directly on my feet and think the aesthetic bears a sense of candor to which I'm partial. I get a lot of crap for this from the older crowd at work, but I enjoy that as well. I might even be referred to as a 'hipster' by a few, but my intent to support quality, American made products is as genuine as the next person posting here.
I've bought three shoes in the past couple months and am hoping my spending soon begins to wane. In addition to the #8 longwing, I have the The Bureau Kudu Boot and may be getting some #8 Indy Boots if I'm lucky enough to end up in the minority who has a decent experience with North River Outfitter. I'm surprised by the lack of love for kudu on this thread but caveat this sentiment by saying I do not own any chromexcel. It's a bigger test of will to rest my kudu boots than anything else I own.
Anyway, thanks for maintaining such a quality thread. I'm having a lot of fun on here.
Not to worry - the calf is a very nice shoe as well.
Interesting that it is on the Aberdeen (a last which I happen to like, among others). Boot models don't see the Aberdeen much. It no doubt has a narrower presentation than does the Barrie.
I've been posting in this thread since page 5 and I have no idea where the weird uncle/nephew dynamic came from, only that it's been around a long time. I assume it's one of those message board phenomema which is hilarious if you happen to observe its emergence in real time, and which is just weird and inexplicable if you weren't there at the moment of creation.
I'm not sure mcarthur can be considered a "big homie".
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... 7 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › New gap denim 8 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Black Captoe Oxford GMTO 9 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 10 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories