Just spend enough time here and you'll be posting close-up pics of yourself in argyle socks and calling men you've never met uncle. I don't know which is worse.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 8:38 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2200post #32986 of 1224168/10/12 at 11:43am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32987 of 1224168/10/12 at 11:44amLeffot just restocked their snuff suede Conley boot... I don't own it and won't buy it this round, but I've seen people wear it and it is one of my favorite Alden suede makeups. It's a great all year round boot, it works well in both the fall and spring.post #32988 of 1224168/10/12 at 12:56pmQuote:
They are really nice ... And not in a 9e ... Sigh ...post #32989 of 1224168/10/12 at 12:57pmQuote:Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy
In the last few days there has been some back and forth about shell v. calf on the AE thread. I added a comment or two about it. Below I am reproducing a post I made over on that thread earlier today. I would highly recommend each shoe pictured, particularly if your dress is of the business professional variety.
For a second those photos made me wish I had pre-ordered cordovan instead of calf. I don't have any alden calf yet though, and these will fit my needs well. This is also my first plaza and I'm kinda excited.post #32990 of 1224168/10/12 at 1:37pm
I've owned my first pair of Aldens for a couple weeks now and just wanted to thank you guys for providing a great forum. I based much of my purchase decision on your posts and it was on this thread that I heard about the Tom Austin sale that made it possible to get my first pair. I bought a color 8 longwing floor model that was lovingly restored to somewhat match the left, which sat quietly in a box since 2002. They couldn't be considered firsts or even seconds, but it's the imperfections and mismatched color that endear them to me.
Though this will surely be shunned by the argyle devotees, I usually wear mine without socks. I prefer the feel of the shoes directly on my feet and think the aesthetic bears a sense of candor to which I'm partial. I get a lot of crap for this from the older crowd at work, but I enjoy that as well. I might even be referred to as a 'hipster' by a few, but my intent to support quality, American made products is as genuine as the next person posting here.
I've bought three shoes in the past couple months and am hoping my spending soon begins to wane. In addition to the #8 longwing, I have the The Bureau Kudu Boot and may be getting some #8 Indy Boots if I'm lucky enough to end up in the minority who has a decent experience with North River Outfitter. I'm surprised by the lack of love for kudu on this thread but caveat this sentiment by saying I do not own any chromexcel. It's a bigger test of will to rest my kudu boots than anything else I own.
Anyway, thanks for maintaining such a quality thread. I'm having a lot of fun on here.post #32991 of 1224168/10/12 at 2:06pmpost #32992 of 1224168/10/12 at 2:14pmpost #32993 of 1224168/10/12 at 2:16pmpost #32994 of 1224168/10/12 at 2:19pmQuote:
Interesting that it is on the Aberdeen (a last which I happen to like, among others). Boot models don't see the Aberdeen much. It no doubt has a narrower presentation than does the Barrie.post #32995 of 1224168/10/12 at 2:55pmpost #32996 of 1224168/10/12 at 3:23pmQuote:
Nephew: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nephewpost #32997 of 1224168/10/12 at 3:23pm
I've been posting in this thread since page 5 and I have no idea where the weird uncle/nephew dynamic came from, only that it's been around a long time. I assume it's one of those message board phenomema which is hilarious if you happen to observe its emergence in real time, and which is just weird and inexplicable if you weren't there at the moment of creation.post #32998 of 1224168/10/12 at 3:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
Nephew: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nephew"Used in the dc area as greeting to younger males from older males. A term of endearment used to express respect and love for a younger african american male from their big homie."
I'm not sure mcarthur can be considered a "big homie".post #32999 of 1224168/10/12 at 3:54pmpost #33000 of 1224168/10/12 at 4:02pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › White Dinner Jacket/Tuxedo Jacket for Houston wedding 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 5 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 7 minutes ago
- › 200k Push-Ups in 2016 9 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 13 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 17 minutes ago
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 23 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 24 minutes ago
- › 125k Pull Ups in 2016 26 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.