Made in China, anyone?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2148post #32206 of 1224167/18/12 at 8:17pmpost #32207 of 1224167/18/12 at 8:20pmQuote:
Nope. The RL cordovan shoes we are talking about are made by Crockett and Jones in England, using Horween (USA) Shell Cordovan.
And we're talking about them because they, for the most part, are a good comparison to Aldens in terms of quality and fit and finish.post #32208 of 1224167/18/12 at 8:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by chipshotQuote:Did you size down from normal for the RL Shortwings? I have found the RL PTB to be slightly shorter and slightly narrower. Definitely is built of a different last. My advice is to make sure you try on the PTB first and not just go off the Shortwing sizing alone.Originally Posted by HorseHide
The RL is more narrow than the Barrie (toe box still has plenty of room). Not sure how much of this comes from the general stiffness of the shoe - these are real tanks and make the Aldens feel like sneakers out of the box.
Amazing shoes, really. I'm probably going to buy a pair of the PTB (at full retail which pisses me off) based on what I've seen with these shortwings. Now I have to decide which RL store I should go (based on the indifference/rudeness of the sales associates at the SF store, the Michigan Ave store and the Madison Ave store, NY wins for the least indifferent sales people ).
Pretty sure the RL wingtip and PTB are on the same 325 last.
I've got both and they feel the same to me.
Robert (sf user dastig) email@example.com has been pretty helpful although I've only dealt with him on the phone and via email..
He's at the Michigan Ave store. He's an RRL specialist but he's helped me with non RRL stuff.post #32209 of 1224167/18/12 at 9:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by 0waterbouys
So recently I had a pair of Whiskey Indy's develop a really bizarre blemish. To start, I'd like to point out that the beginnings of the blemish were there from the start and was not due to scuffing or wear. It looked like a patch of tiny wrinkles and lines in one spot on the side of the boot. Over about a period of 2 weeks after regular brushing/mac method I noticed that the spot had grown and now was turning a very dark brownish burgundy. I tried my hardest to brush it out but it had no effect on it. It was a quite large spot about the size of a quarter right on the side of the boot.
I sent it back to Alden DC who in turn sent it back to the factory for repair/work. It was returned to me in no different condition and when I contacted Kathy at Alden DC about it I was told there was nothing I could do. Obviously they weren't going to refund the boot and I was told it was just a part of the inconsistencies of shell cordovan. I doubt anyone on Ebay or B&S would want them as the spot is certainly noticeable so I am stuck $730 in the hole. I guess I just have to live with it. Sorry if this a boo-hoo story or what have you it just feels nice to vent a bit. I'm probably going to turn them into my go to hiking boots and wear/distress the hell out of them.
TL;DR: I hope shell cordovan is nice to hike in.
i'd still like to see a picture; i have a similar issue.
i would suggest demanding the shoe be remade by the factory. major inconsistencies of the shell cordovan such as you describe should be caught be qc and sent to shoe mart as seconds.post #32210 of 1224167/18/12 at 10:38pmQuote:
The Barrie last does work for me but I am a 6.5 D. I am getting rid of them because not only are they slightly big, but I like - but not love them.post #32211 of 1224167/18/12 at 11:05pmpost #32212 of 1224167/18/12 at 11:09pmpost #32213 of 1224167/19/12 at 12:31ampost #32214 of 1224167/19/12 at 3:51ampost #32215 of 1224167/19/12 at 4:14amQuote:
I know this. But this is the Alden thread.post #32216 of 1224167/19/12 at 4:31amQuote:Originally Posted by forsan
Another long time lurker here, finally decided to post.
I've pre-ordered the Context Roy boot due February and wanted another boot in the meantime to really wear in as a daily wearer.
I'm pretty picky, and I love Indy's, but I really prefer a plain toe. After seeing some surprisingly great photos of the J.Crew plain toe on here, I decided to pull the trigger; I figured with free in-store returns, it couldn't hurt.
I got the boots in today, and I actually really like them, but between ordering and delivery, I stumbled across the natural CXL plain toe on the Shoe Mart and really like those as well.
Considering I'm getting the Roy in February, should I hold onto the J.Crew boot or return them and pick up the natural CXL PTBoot?
On the upside, I can probably wear the J.Crew pair to work and the calfskin is a nice contrast to the brown CXL the Roy will have. On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of chromexcel, but I've heard mixed things on natural CXL and how it ages and wears.
tl;dr keep J.Crew plain toe or swap out for natural chromexcel plain toe from Shoe Mart
Sorry for the phone photos, just wanted to get this up ASAP so I could get feedback and make a decision. First two are obviously indoor lighting, with the latter two in the driveway after work.
IMO i'd stick with the j.crew and the roys. I find natural CXL to be a hard color to pair with a lot of outfits...and have it flow.post #32217 of 1224167/19/12 at 5:01amQuote:
Well, all is still good in the world!
So, Sazon, 103 Yesterday, and I'm in my Brown Chromex Ultimate Jumpers from LS. Granted I was inside at NYHS all day.post #32218 of 1224167/19/12 at 6:09ampost #32219 of 1224167/19/12 at 6:20ampost #32220 of 1224167/19/12 at 6:37am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 9 seconds ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 1 minute ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 2 minutes ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 4 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 6 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 16 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 20 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 34 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 39 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...