Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Yesterday at 11:29 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: Yesterday
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2025post #30361 of 1224166/14/12 at 6:48pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #30362 of 1224166/14/12 at 7:23pmpost #30363 of 1224166/14/12 at 7:35pmpost #30364 of 1224166/14/12 at 7:36pmpost #30365 of 1224166/14/12 at 7:57pmpost #30366 of 1224166/14/12 at 10:33pmI tried to add a heel tap to my crepe soled Aldens. Nails just wouldnt take, which I suspected. The crepe just isnt the right structure to hold a nail.
There are no cobblers where I live, so its a DIY job. Would screws be better, or screw / glue combination?post #30367 of 1224166/14/12 at 11:07pmQuote:
I really don't see screws staying in there at all. I'd imagine even with glue, screws would probably just make a mess of the crepe, if the nails aren't taking. Really, I'd wear out the current sole, and replace, at least, the heel with dainite or whatever rubber heel you prefer, if you're getting a ton of heel wear. You could even see if they could make the heel look like that on the leather soled Barrie last shoes, where you've got partial leather, then it'd match the leather tip of your shoes.post #30368 of 1224166/14/12 at 11:26pmQuote:
I have numerous Aldens - mostly shell, some calf - mostly shoes, some boots. I am partial to leather soled Aldens - double or single, standard or oiled. I have never understood the appeal of the crepe sole. Indeed, any model that comes out with a crepe sole is immediately dismissed by me. Certainly others see the issue as I do, but many do not. I get that many claim it is very comfortable, and that it is necessarily casual/informal, but what else, if anything, about it is appealing to those of you who buy it? No sarcasm is intended here.post #30369 of 1224166/14/12 at 11:32pmGod bless you guys that enjoy saddle shoes. I just can't find the appeal. Seen too many girls on campus sporting crappy UO or Forever21 saddle-shoe inspired pieces of crap, all knarly and looking 50 years old already. Has turned the style off to me. I can see how beautiful it is but just can't get over it.post #30370 of 1224166/15/12 at 1:07amQuote:Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy
I have numerous Aldens - mostly shell, some calf - mostly shoes, some boots. I am partial to leather soled Aldens - double or single, standard or oiled. I have never understood the appeal of the crepe sole. Indeed, any model that comes out with a crepe sole is immediately dismissed by me. Certainly others see the issue as I do, but many do not. I get that many claim it is very comfortable, and that it is necessarily casual/informal, but what else, if anything, about it is appealing to those of you who buy it? No sarcasm is intended here.
They are more comfortable than leather soled shoes.
Also like the look.
Most of my shoes are leather soled, crepe's only go with a certain, limited number of styles IMO, but worth having in a collection.
New york ranger mentioned earlier he had taps installed in his crepes...if you see this, let me know how they were attached.post #30371 of 1224166/15/12 at 1:11ampost #30372 of 1224166/15/12 at 4:00ampost #30373 of 1224166/15/12 at 4:20ampost #30374 of 1224166/15/12 at 4:54am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Cars We Drive! 30 seconds ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 32 seconds ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 42 seconds ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 1 minute ago
- › All Things Hippity and Hoppity 1 minute ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 1 minute ago
- › SF Cheap Functional Buttonholes 2 minutes ago
- › Arc'teryx and Veilance Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 3 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1