I did the same. Good luck, Tom!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 7:54 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2012post #30166 of 1224166/12/12 at 2:56pmpost #30167 of 1224166/12/12 at 3:00pmpost #30168 of 1224166/12/12 at 4:41pmQuote:
If your arch can deal with a mild arch support insert (more flexible than "straight as a board"), give it a try. My arch flattens out and I have a low instep - I find modified works well even with the addition of a superfeet insert.post #30169 of 1224166/12/12 at 4:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by blue collar
You guys are going to re-sole them as soon as you get them? Why not burn out the factory sole first?
Just seems a shame to 'waste' 1 of 3 possible resoles (over the life of the shoe) just for a bit a tread
If it's traction you need, topy them.
If it's simply just for the looks, well I guess there is no other way than to get them re-soled.
I'm doing it because, to me, the commando sole is more comfortable than the leather sole, plus better traction, and I like the look - just my humble opinionpost #30170 of 1224166/12/12 at 4:53pmQuote:
I can tell you that, with me, I have no problem with the arch, and I have a low instep. In fact, my cap-toe shoes on the Modified last are very comfortable - no foot fatigue. The one thing I found, though, is that I need a wide size for the shoe to be comfortable.post #30171 of 1224166/12/12 at 4:55pmQuote:
Are you having the commando glued over the double leather sole or replacing the whole sole? If it is the former, is it easy to remove the commando once it is well worn and replace it without damaging the double leather sole?post #30172 of 1224166/12/12 at 5:12pm
I'm doing it because, to me, the commando sole is more comfortable than the leather sole, plus better traction, and I like the look - just my humble opinionQuote:
I'm replacing the whole sole (I believe) - I'm taking the boots to B. Nelson next week, and should have a clear understanding as to what they will actually be doing after that.post #30173 of 1224166/12/12 at 5:43pmHey everyone, I wrote up a guide for those of us with low instep/arch:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/304002/a-guide-shoes-for-flatter-feet-narrow-heels-etcpost #30174 of 1224166/12/12 at 5:59pmQuote:I have to agree. I first ordered Alden's via email from Alden of Carmel and I had no problems. Then I met Adam and he was very polite and knowledgable. Who am I going to go with here?
The guy who is nice and knowledgeable or the simp that came on here and asked the same question over, and over and over again despite having his question answered? Really I could see how someone would not want to deal with someone who is so high maintenance.post #30175 of 1224166/12/12 at 6:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by david3558
Hey everyone, I wrote up a guide for those of us with low instep/arch:
thank you for your effortspost #30176 of 1224166/12/12 at 6:04pmpost #30177 of 1224166/12/12 at 6:23pmLooking for some good boot socks for Indy's and my other Alden work boots. Need to be wool, but I do not wish to spend $20 a pair on work socks. Anyone know of any good socks? I am looking at Smart Wool and Darn Tough. Will be wearing in summer so they cannot be too hot.
Thank you.post #30178 of 1224166/12/12 at 6:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ahab
Looking for some good boot socks for Indy's and my other Alden work boots. Need to be wool, but I do not wish to spend $20 a pair on work socks. Anyone know of any good socks? I am looking at Smart Wool and Darn Tough. Will be wearing in summer so they cannot be too hot.
Wigwam and Fox River Mills both produce thick wool socks made in USA. Price is about $12 a pair.
edit: nevermind, didn't see the summer part.post #30179 of 1224166/12/12 at 6:29pm
Question --- I just bought some Indy 405 boots in Chicago because they were a great price (not seconds). They have the cotton ("duck" something or the other) lining. They are my first Aldens although an Indy boot wasn't my original first pick for an Alden boot. But I'm wondering if they came from older stock since aren't the Indy boots now made with a leather lining?
Can anyone comment on the pros/cons of this cotton lining? Why did Alden use cotton in these and why did they switch to leather? Just curious as I love these boots and am planning my next Alden purchase to be some boot in the modified last.post #30180 of 1224166/12/12 at 6:31pm^^ I like Wigwam. Not sure if these meet your criteria, but they are excellent socks.
Edit: although certainly not summer specific, these are cooler than many of my other boot socks.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 8 seconds ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 30 seconds ago
- › 125k Pull Ups in 2016 1 minute ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 2 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet Steel Grey Corduroy Tweed Walt (34) BNWT 11 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 12 minutes ago
- › Brown elegant cap toe Oxford boots by Lendvay & Schwarcz in size UK... 14 minutes ago
- › Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and... 14 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...