Like a lot of the European shell cordovan, it's all dark. Hides the blemishes. Besides that Tricker's x Tres Bien collaboration, I don't recall a ton of light shell apart from what Alden does. Maybe a few things here and there, but not a bunch.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 3:14 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1980post #29687 of 1224166/6/12 at 12:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by misterjuiceman
One of the Horween shell colors that is allegedly in short supply is Cigar.
That's more or less the same color as is used by C&J.
Tricker's uses Comipel cordovan.
There was some talk about them using Horween Shell too but it appears they do not.post #29688 of 1224166/6/12 at 12:33pmThis talk of "blemishes" makes absolutely no sense.
shell cordovan is made from the dermis of the horse butt. It means that the superficial layer (the part we see) is removed first.
I don't recall seeing lots of horses with deep gouges on their butt.
I don't buy the theory that the shortage of lighter color shell cordovan is due to lack of "perfect" raw material.post #29689 of 1224166/6/12 at 12:39pm
^ i dunno, the rare colors are rare for a reason.
epaulet's video where they take a tour of the alden factory and have interviews w/ alden personnel...i do remember them saying that a whiskey shell basically requires a perfect hide to begin with...and I don't think they are talking about gouges, but about about blemishes, discoloration. etc. ... who knows what lies underneath the superficial layer that you speak of..post #29690 of 1224166/6/12 at 12:46pmpost #29691 of 1224166/6/12 at 12:55pm
I'd say it should be about the same. Is it shell, calf or CXL? For the latter two, it'd probably stretch very quickly to be what you're used to. Always best to try it on though. Why go down to a 7C? Always easier to know your size in D-width, since it's more widely available. I'm normally a 7E in Trubalance and Barrie, but I found 7.5D fits me very well in both lasts.post #29692 of 1224166/6/12 at 12:57pmQuote:
Yep. http://www.stitchedandstitched.com/?p=1488, apparently they don't seem to want to use Horween's. I didn't even realize there were any tanneries doing shell besides Horween and some places in Japan.
Doesn't seem like it's very good, either. http://www.styleforum.net/t/118908/in-praise-of-trickers/225#post_4773134post #29693 of 1224166/6/12 at 1:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by misterjuiceman
I'd say it should be about the same. Is it shell, calf or CXL? For the latter two, it'd probably stretch very quickly to be what you're used to. Always best to try it on though. Why go down to a 7C? Always easier to know your size in D-width, since it's more widely available. I'm normally a 7E in Trubalance and Barrie, but I found 7.5D fits me very well in both lasts.
maybe i should go this route when i can't find 7e.post #29694 of 1224166/6/12 at 1:02pmpost #29695 of 1224166/6/12 at 1:22pm
it's definitely not a bad way to go. J Crew has some awesome collaboration shoes (I love the captoed #8 boot), and you can always order online and return in the store. they only carry D-widths so you can try it out with them. 60 days to return, too. I know with Barrie, TruBalance and Modified it's not a huge deal, just a little bit different. I actually tried a boot in 7E and 7.5D on the Modified last, and I could barely tell the difference (neither were broken in).post #29696 of 1224166/6/12 at 1:27pmpost #29697 of 1224166/6/12 at 1:28pmpost #29698 of 1224166/6/12 at 1:30pmin case anyone is interested in the less exotic alden boots, j. gilbert just got in a restock of the #8 plain toe and #8 cap toe boots (both plaza, both commando sole). i swung by on my lunch break and picked up the plain toes i had reserved and a bottle of sapphir reno. so psyched, this is my first foray into the plaza last. hoping for a better fit than i've gotten from the barrie.post #29699 of 1224166/6/12 at 1:33pmpost #29700 of 1224166/6/12 at 1:37pmQuote:
Check out the stiching on the side of the shoe - the regular PTB is pretty near whole cut, while the dover has sitching that connects the vamp to the bottom of the sole... The dover pattern is used on suede PTBs and some of the special makeup PTBs (this shoe, the unlined color 8, etc). I much prefer the dover
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Momotaro 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 5 minutes ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 6 minutes ago
- › Iron Heart denim 7 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 7 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 13 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 16 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...