or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1924  

post #28846 of 122416

The J Crew Long Wings are made of cordovan and are cheaper than on the Alden site.  Anybody buy these and compare to say #8 regular Long Wing by Alden.  Maybe these aren't double leather soles and a cheaper model.  I am in the market for Long Wings 9D Wiskeyish color.

post #28847 of 122416
given that i cancelled my "14 week delay" order from NRO, i was hoping you guys could help me decide my next alden purchase. my current rotation:
  • brooks brothers black fleece cordovan longwings
  • alden barrie wingtip boots in #8
  • alden dark brown calf longwings
  • alden leathersoul barrie wingtip boots in brown CXL (i don't wear these much and might sell them)
  • clark's desert boot in medium brown suede
  • santoni black captoes

as you guys can see, Alden-wise i'm under-diversified, as all of my investments are of the winged variety. the most casual of my aldens shoes is the CXL wingtip boots, so if i sell those i'll be left with nothing that's really casual aside from the desert boots.

ideally, i'd like something that looks good with jeans but can also be worn to work (trousers and sportcoat). i was hoping the CXL wingtip boots would fill that role, but i just don't feel that the workboot-lookin brown CXL leather looks right at work. here's what i'm considering, but would very much welcome additional suggestions:

- plain toe natural CXL boot
- natural CXL PTB
- suede chukka (kinda hesitant to buy this one, even though i know they're very popular and presumably very versatile)
- cigar Indy's (these just look bad ass, but i don't know how much i'd use them during the summer months)

any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #28848 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post

The J Crew Long Wings are made of cordovan and are cheaper than on the Alden site.  Anybody buy these and compare to say #8 regular Long Wing by Alden.  Maybe these aren't double leather soles and a cheaper model.  I am in the market for Long Wings 9D Wiskeyish color.


There's a guy in B&S who has some whiskey LWB's in a 9D.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/279331/alden-whiskey-shell-cordovan-long-wing-blucher-oxford-9d#post_5466052

I tried contacting him however, but he never responded. Maybe you'll have better luck?

post #28849 of 122416
Nice day in San Francisco for my AoC AF84 brown calf wingtip boot with commando soles.....

photogw.jpg
post #28850 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post

The J Crew Long Wings are made of cordovan and are cheaper than on the Alden site.  Anybody buy these and compare to say #8 regular Long Wing by Alden.  Maybe these aren't double leather soles and a cheaper model.  I am in the market for Long Wings 9D Wiskeyish color.

 

 

There are no shell cordovan long wings available with JCrew:

 

http://www.jcrew.com/search/searchNavigation.jsp?eneQuery=Ne%3D1%2B2%2B3%2B22%2B4294967294%2B20%26Ntt%3Dalden%26Ntk%3Dall%26Ntx%3Dmode%2Bmatchallany%26N%3D0%26Nu%3DP_productid&NUM_ITEMS=90&bmUID=1337874945720

post #28851 of 122416
J Crew sells #8 cordovan longwings in select stores such as the Liquor Store in NYC and the Men's Shop on the Upper East Side (they also sell a #8 cordovan captoe blucher at those stores), but I have not seen J Crew sell any cordovan longwings online. J Crew's online longwings are made of calfskin, "chromexcel" (I still haven't been able to figure out if J Crew's brown and tobacco longwings are CXL or not) or suede.
post #28852 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

ideally, i'd like something that looks good with jeans but can also be worn to work (trousers and sportcoat). i was hoping the CXL wingtip boots would fill that role, but i just don't feel that the workboot-lookin brown CXL leather looks right at work.

Given you have two longwings and you think CXL may not work well at work, I would recommend
1) Cordovan or calfskin high boot (cigar captoe, #8 captoe, calfskin captoe or plain toe, etc)
2) Cordovan chukka in whatever brown color is available in your size
3) Cordovan PTB in whatever brown color is available
4) Suede chukkas or PTBs would work great with jeans and work, and could be worn all year round in CA. You shouldn't hesitate to get these
post #28853 of 122416

Cigar PTB on a Thursday

 

photo.JPG

 

 

No shipping confirmation from NRO yet.  My order for the tan suede chukkas is still "being assembled".

post #28854 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

J Crew sells #8 cordovan longwings in select stores such as the Liquor Store in NYC and the Men's Shop on the Upper East Side (they also sell a #8 cordovan captoe blucher at those stores), but I have not seen J Crew sell any cordovan longwings online. J Crew's online longwings are made of calfskin, "chromexcel" (I still haven't been able to figure out if J Crew's brown and tobacco longwings are CXL or not) or suede.

J Crew lists those dark brown LWs as CXL but they're not.
post #28855 of 122416

I'd second the Tom Austin deal.  Not huge selection, they are turning into an AE shop.  If they have your size, 50% off and they are happy to check inventory.

post #28856 of 122416
Speaking of J Crew, I may have to investigate this shoe... I have a bunch of J Crew gift cards, and black calfskin longwings aren't made that often...

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~60505/60505.jsp

I may go with one of the boots instead though (these boots seem to be well regarded here) while getting cordovan black longwings (especially since they are readily available in E sizes):

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~47357/47357.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~20853/20853.jsp
post #28857 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

I'd second the Tom Austin deal.  Not huge selection, they are turning into an AE shop.  If they have your size, 50% off and they are happy to check inventory.

are you sure it's 50%?

I called, spoke to Clarence, and he'd told me it was 40%

I'm not complaining, just curious as to what's what.
post #28858 of 122416
PSA: Ebay announcement -

Somebody pick these up... (not my auction)
post #28859 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazaza View Post

are you sure it's 50%?
I called, spoke to Clarence, and he'd told me it was 40%
I'm not complaining, just curious as to what's what.

Went in there yesterday. Most stuff is 40%, but they had discounts up to 70%. They had some All Weather Walkers for 60% off. The #8 chukka and unlined suede chukkas were 40%. I think the #8 LWB was 50%.
post #28860 of 122416
eek.gif

Need me some #8 LWB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.