enjoy wearing your good looking lwb
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1922post #28816 of 1224165/23/12 at 5:13pmpost #28817 of 1224165/23/12 at 5:13pmQuote:
IMO, Formal to Casual (Opinions will vary lol):
Opera > Cap-Toe Balmoral > PTB > Wing-tips > Other Bluchers > Loafers > Straps
Patent > Shell/Calf > Cow-hide > Grain & Suede > Exotics > CXL
Black > Cordovan > Browns > Any other colour
Plain > Medallion Cap > Any other Brouging
I own almost balmorals exclusively and wear them with everything from suit to jeans.post #28818 of 1224165/23/12 at 5:18pmpost #28819 of 1224165/23/12 at 5:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by david3558
+1 @ AnOxymoron, CXL stretches a bit, but I wouldn't depend on it for sizing.
Calidist, have you ever tried boots on the Barrie? It sounds like it could work for you - you can give them a shot in the 8.5D width, they tend to have a higher instep so they will feel much better right off the bat. I can tell you from experience that CXL does stretch but like I mentioned, I wouldn't depend on it for sizing as it could vary. Is the length on the 8.5D OK though? The overall boot will loosen up as your foot begins to sink into the footbed over time - I think the instep will stretch a bit, but if it is very tight right now I'd approach with caution. If you were buying the 405's I can tell you those don't stretch very much if at all (from experience).
The length of 8D or E seems right. I guess the primary question is whether the heel will stretch. The instep and toe box of the 8E is great, I'm just afraid the heel will stretch and get too loose. I like the color of the 403 much better than the 405, but maybe I'm best off getting the 405 in 8E so I don't have to worry about stretching as much... I haven't tried the Barrie yet in a boot. I tried a 8E Barrie oxford which was too loose in the heel. My understanding is that the heel of the Trubalance was narrower than the Barrie. Is that incorrect?post #28820 of 1224165/23/12 at 5:22pmpost #28821 of 1224165/23/12 at 5:28pm
I used to think Ravello and cigar were all that and a bag o' chips, whiskey was just a notch down from that, and both color 8 and black were just OK. Recently, the more I see color 8, the more I like it. In fact, with all the recent talk about black shell, that's starting to grow on me as well.
Still, my holy grail are these, which are long gone but I pray will make a return in the near future:post #28822 of 1224165/23/12 at 5:59pmpost #28823 of 1224165/23/12 at 6:20pm
Gentlemen, I need some assistance. Anyone who is familiar with Alden of DC. There is a SA there who assisted me during my recent visit, but I cannot remember her name. She is an African American woman with short hair and glasses. Does anyone know who this is?post #28824 of 1224165/23/12 at 7:19pmThanks for the responses about my PTB / dress shoes dilemma.
Just found out I have AE captoe shoes in my closet and since I rarely wear black pants, I guess this will have to do.
I have been wearing boots all the time and in my mind I need shoes if I want to wear them with shorts, as an option.
The PTBoots in #8 will be on my watch....
Suede longwing, suede Indys as well..,,,post #28825 of 1224165/23/12 at 7:27pmThat's Che. Not sure if that's the right spelling, but it's pronounced like "Chay". She's a great addition to the store.post #28826 of 1224165/23/12 at 7:27pmpost #28827 of 1224165/23/12 at 7:29pmpost #28828 of 1224165/23/12 at 7:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Ravello - Cigar
Color 8 - Sand Suede
Color 8s have been worn regularly for a year and a half... Soles could use replacing, but the uppers still look great
Black (either calfskin or cordovan) and then maybe something in chromexcel or kudu may be next...
you tryin' to storm Normandy with all those gunboats?post #28829 of 1224165/23/12 at 7:43pmpost #28830 of 1224165/23/12 at 8:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by ErikW
Just snagged these SWB off of the Bay. Thought they were Color #8, but apparently more of a dark reddish brown: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280884096196?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1204
Any thoughts on a belt color for these and some dark jeans?
Yeah, definitely not color# 8. Not shiny enough to shell and too inexpensive at retail price to be shell.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 10 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 17 seconds ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Exotic Leather Goods 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 1 minute ago
- › The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 4 minutes ago
- › NFL 2016-17 Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 9 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...