Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1884post #28246 of 1224165/17/12 at 4:55pmpost #28247 of 1224165/17/12 at 5:08pmQuote:
Will find something for you, but imagine walking over factory floors of cement factories, alumina, bauxite and coal refinery facilities. The concrete floors are okay when they are new, but after a few months they get turned into jagged sharp edged sandpaper which destroys even the toughest soles in weeks.
Add to that acids and heavy alkaline dusts and compounds from drag lines in the field, spilling over boots and shoes, and you have calf leather hide that looks like shit.
After a year, you give that to a cobbler and he will try to murder you.
The only uppers which appear to last well against the elements is cordovan, Not sure why, but cordovan holds out quite well. Soles all disappear quickly tho.
So, new boots is the only way to go. Expensive? sure, but better than going bare feet.post #28248 of 1224165/17/12 at 5:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Too difficult to procure. It takes about 4-6 months to confirm previous models, much more for brand new makeups (some over a year). Then another 6-8 months for production. Most people on SF are not willing to wait that long. Plus it's very difficult to get to a consensus style that is possible to make and appeals to everyone. Sorry, a longwing combination boot in #4 and whiskey scotch grain cordovan with Dainite sole is not a possibility...hahaha.
You're a cruel retailer Tom! and that laugh! after that bad news? frigging scary.
PM me with good alternatives please Tom - and I don't mind waiting, I wait for all my footwear anyway because I always have to order MTO as a "F" fit. Nobody does "F" in premium ranges.
Surely a few SF members would like to re-order the existing model? I would pay full price up front to reserve a pair. 8 months? who cares? EG and G&G are getting pretty long on their lead times too these days.post #28249 of 1224165/17/12 at 5:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by Junebug9122
Just got my first pair of Aldens. There are three Alden shops near where I live, but none had any offerings in Barrie and what they did have was quite anemic. So I had to wing it (pun intended) and take a chance on 11.5 D in the LWB Whiskey Shell from shoe mart which is apparently the 'Bootmaker Edition' (I'm learning as I go here). I was expecting the stitching on the welt to lighter in color, but otherwise it was perfect. The fit was a little concerning. The heel did not feel as snug as I would have liked, and the forefoot did feel slightly cramped. I am a D/E width but I read here that the Barrie runs wider as well as longer, so I figured that should cover it. Hoping it works itself out as it breaks in. Apologies for the crappy cell phone pictures.
Already thinking about my next Aldens. I'm looking for boots I can wear to work (think semi-formal, no suits, just a shirt, dress slacks and tie) but which would also travel well in all-purpose conditions (city walking, hiking, et) b/c I don't want to carry multiple pairs of shoes. I'm thinking Indy Cigar Shells with Crepe Soles (I realize I would have to add the soles). I don't like the look of Shell Chukkas (especially the waves), but I'm wondering, have any of you worn Indy Shells with dress pants, and if so, care to post full length front pics (not just of the shoe and socks). Thanks.
enjoy wearing your whiskey lwbpost #28250 of 1224165/17/12 at 5:19pm
that reminds me how there was a way we used to lace our military boots. It was easy to pull the eyelets open straight away and then tie them back up again quickly, only i can't remember how to do it anymore.
All I remember is the ends were knotted together and all you did was slip your foot into the boot, pull the one looped lace, wrap it around the back of the boot and tuck the end into the other side. Stayed tight all day, looked perfect and it came undone straight away when you needed to get out of them quickly. You literally pulled either side of the boot eyelets and it was like there were no laces in there at all.
I wish I could remember how to lace them again. I might look up old foxhole buddies and see whether any of them remembers.post #28251 of 1224165/17/12 at 5:20pmpost #28252 of 1224165/17/12 at 5:35pmBefore (tan on the left) and after (natural on the right) pics of some new laces for my natural CXL plain toe boots.
The flat waxed natural laces are the nearest I have seen to matching natural CXL. I picked them up from MOTO Leather & Silver, a fine artisanal leatherworks here in Tokyo. MOTO and MOTOR also make wonderful leather shoes and boots, with a few styles similar to Alden models. I started an Info & Appreciation thread for MOTO and MOTOR for anyone interested in seeing and learning more;
http://www.styleforum.net/t/299228/leather-arts-crafts-moto-aoyama-tokyo-japan-appreciation-threadpost #28253 of 1224165/17/12 at 6:20pmpost #28254 of 1224165/17/12 at 6:26pmpost #28255 of 1224165/17/12 at 6:32pmpost #28256 of 1224165/17/12 at 6:38pmpost #28257 of 1224165/17/12 at 6:46pmpost #28258 of 1224165/17/12 at 6:49pmpost #28259 of 1224165/17/12 at 6:54pmpost #28260 of 1224165/17/12 at 7:01pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Italy Trip. 32 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 6 minutes ago
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 10 minutes ago
- › MINT 38R/48R Zegna Trofeo 600 Navy Suit 11 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 12 minutes ago
- › Ermenegildo Zegna Blue Sport Coat 52L 42L Recent Made In Italy... 12 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 12 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 16 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...