Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 8:34 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1848post #27706 of 1224165/8/12 at 7:27pmpost #27707 of 1224165/8/12 at 7:31pmpost #27708 of 1224165/8/12 at 7:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by mcarthurQuote:Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
After extensive trial and error with the barrie, I think I got it dialed in. Here are my ravello ptb's. Been waiting months for these to arrive. Much thanks to the fine folks at Alden San Francisco. Just arrived today and thought I would share some shots.
I most certainly will, thanks Uncle.post #27709 of 1224165/9/12 at 12:42amQuote:Originally Posted by runningfrog
thanks for the sizing advice. i'm really hoping the 7D barrie fits as these blue suede lwb's will be perfect to wear from now til early fall. it would be a shame to send them back since it looks like most sizes have sold out (including 7.5D).
for sizing comparison w/o socks, i have quoddy canoe suede boat shoes in 7D and they fit perfectly.
took a few pics of my alden x leffot navy suede lwb's last weekend:
i've worn them a couple times w/o socks and the fit is great. i just ordered some meltonian water and stain protector spray, so i'm gonna wait for that to come in before i wear them again.post #27710 of 1224165/9/12 at 12:49ampost #27711 of 1224165/9/12 at 12:51amQuote:
I learned about this from the TOJ thread. Veblen goodpost #27712 of 1224165/9/12 at 1:26amNot sure if the veblen thing is why they're becoming more popular. I'd definitely have more than one pair if they were more affordable.
I think it a lot of it comes down to #menswear. Alden's are being talked up on blogs, more shops are doing collabs, more shops in general are stocking them. Their presence is massively increased and because the product is good, people take notice.post #27713 of 1224165/9/12 at 2:51ampost #27714 of 1224165/9/12 at 5:22ampost #27715 of 1224165/9/12 at 5:52ampost #27716 of 1224165/9/12 at 6:53amQuote:I do not think that is the sole reason Alden’s are growing in popularity. I think there are a number of reasons with a less than great economy contributing the most. I think there is a combination of younger people dressing better, nostalgia and the classic looks coming back, the work wear fashion trend, Leather Soul, J Crew, the Internet and digital cameras, blogs, forums that are all combining to make a super storm of Alden mania. I personally cannot go back to lesser shoes so my only path is up.Originally Posted by blake3030
Not sure if the veblen thing is why they're becoming more popular. I'd definitely have more than one pair if they were more affordable.
I think it a lot of it comes down to #menswear. Alden's are being talked up on blogs, more shops are doing collabs, more shops in general are stocking them. Their presence is massively increased and because the product is good, people take notice.
If I did not want to pay the price of Alden’s I would certainly be eyeing Red Wing Heritage line for boots with more value for the money. I think that these are quite a bargain now and only see them going up in price. I especially like the boots in Chromexcel and suede. I am starting to dig the white sole’s as well. I am not sure if they make their own Chromexcel (or substitute), if it is a seasonal offering or if they have discontinued it but I have seen boots in Chromexcel from them within the last few months.post #27717 of 1224165/9/12 at 6:58am
Alden fits in perfectly with the heritage brands trend these days. USA-made, long and legitimate history, quality workmanship, and yes, reasonably expensive. I also think shell cordovan is enjoying a surge of popularity these days, and of course no one does shell like Alden does.post #27718 of 1224165/9/12 at 7:07amI really hope the USA-made trend is not just a fad and that it continues for years to come. I'm guessing the people that are buying higher quality USA-made goods now will keep buying similar items in the future. I doubt we will all start buying cheap crap made overseas anytime soon. But I really like that some old American companies like Alden are thriving right now.post #27719 of 1224165/9/12 at 7:16amQuote:Originally Posted by Dbc0919
Just got a call from Alden DC. They received some Ravello LWB's in my size. I'm so happy I could cry.
She mentioned that the color of this batch leaned to the darker side and that the pair I was getting leaned toward a color #4. Not sure what to expect but pretty excited.
Ooh tempting. What sole is one it? RL Marlows are too narrow for meQuote:Thanks calling today, have to go to SF anyways todayOriginally Posted by mediahound
You might want to call first to see if they carry it in the store. They say here that not everything on their website is carried in the store:
I sized mine to wear with boot socks but now am debating whether to move from 10.5D to 10E in my 403s. My pinky toe is against the edge of the shoe but they are too long without hiking socks. Weird thing is kudu 404s fit great in 10.5 with both types of socks, may just be the softer natural of the CXL variant.Quote:Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
I really hope the USA-made trend is not just a fad and that it continues for years to come. I'm guessing the people that are buying higher quality USA-made goods now will keep buying similar items in the future. I doubt we will all start buying cheap crap made overseas anytime soon. But I really like that some old American companies like Alden are thriving right now.
Lot of production is moving back to US, I think it was a McKinsey report that said by 2020 30% of overseas production will be back in the USApost #27720 of 1224165/9/12 at 8:08amQuote:
1) Alden is still relatively "niche." Only really sold in Barneys, three of four Alden branded stores, and a specialty shoe stores globally. Sales have apparently grown significantly, but probabl from a low base.
2) The fashion blogosphere has coalesced around Alden, and the blogs have a bit more impact than they used to
3) Cordovan leather coming back a bit (FT had an article about this). See the interest in the Marlow line
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › New $650 Kiton Solid White Spread Collar Dress Shirt 15.75 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 9 minutes ago
- › TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread 10 minutes ago
- › The Toronto For Sale Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 16 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 18 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 26 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 28 minutes ago
- › New Ralph Lauren line: Denim & Supply 30 minutes ago
- › VASS WHOLECUT LAST K - 9 UK - MTO BLUE SUEDE CALF 33 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...