or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1628  

post #24406 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post

Nice looking collection. Ravello is a must, I'd go ravello LWB or PTB. Here's a few pics of ravello & whiskey.
IMG_1066.jpg
IMG_1067.jpg

I wish my Whiskey colored Aldens were more of this color... the newer Whiskey is just too tan for me.
post #24407 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazaza View Post


can't a guy just have a personal preference that is against popular opinion on this forum?
yeesh,
let them eat calf!


Of course he can.  I was just curious to hear about the man's opinion.  I also said it was his call.  If he doesn't want to talk about it, I'm fine with that too.

post #24408 of 122416
^ yet he stated in his initial post that he wouldn't discuss it and you guys keep badgering him like you were entitled to a response or something.

In fact I'm honestly surprised he's conducted himself in the manor he has throughout as I believed that Furo's initial response of saying that its basically because he cant afford shell to be rather rude.
post #24409 of 122416
This entire exchange is a perfect example of the shit that is keeping me out of the Top 5.
post #24410 of 122416
any info on the tom last?

http://unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Brenham_Leisure_Loafer_in_Brown_Alpine_4453.html

wider/narrower than barrie?
post #24411 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel View Post


Because cordo is an exceptionally rugged, low maintenance leather that also happens to look great? It *is* a great work leather shoe. Ask Crane about his Wolverine 721LTDs in #8 how much shit (literally) he puts them through. Just because a lot of nancy boys on an internet forum feel like they have to baby their $600+ boots doesn't mean that you have to do the same. At least in the case of my shell cordos, they're work boots, albeit really nice ones. I fully intend to abuse the fuck out of them.
(and I dig calf and the other leathers, but I'm not that fond of pebblegrain.)



I'll tell this story one more time. My dad, a blue collar working man, had two pair of shells. One for work and one for formal situations. He was a short haul truck driver, in and out all day, and wore those shoes in all kinds of weather. He used regular shoe polish on them about once every two weeks - and those shoes lasted 30+ years, and remained beautiful. BTW - back in the early 60s I think he paid less than $20 for them.

 

post #24412 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel View Post

At least in the case of my shell cordos, they're work boots, albeit really nice ones. I fully intend to abuse the fuck out of them.

 

Careful. Alden will send social services after you.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel View Post

(and I dig calf and the other leathers, but I'm not that fond of pebblegrain.)

You just haven't met the right pebble grain (not Alden's).

post #24413 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Love the Ravello Captoe. A beautiful makeup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnuts View Post



+1


Thanks gents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post

I wish my Whiskey colored Aldens were more of this color... the newer Whiskey is just too tan for me.

My whiskey LWB's are a recent acquisition.
post #24414 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHide View Post

This entire exchange is a perfect example of the shit that is keeping me out of the Top 5.

Who would you say the top five are?
post #24415 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel View Post

Because cordo is an exceptionally rugged, low maintenance leather that also happens to look great? It *is* a great work leather shoe. Ask Crane about his Wolverine 721LTDs in #8 how much shit (literally) he puts them through. Just because a lot of nancy boys on an internet forum feel like they have to baby their $600+ boots doesn't mean that you have to do the same. At least in the case of my shell cordos, they're work boots, albeit really nice ones. I fully intend to abuse the fuck out of them.
(and I dig calf and the other leathers, but I'm not that fond of pebblegrain.)

1) Pebble grain boots on dainite soles are essential, I have a pair from Crockett and Jones... Alfred Sargent also makes a good pair

2) I have calf Indy boots for abuse, muddy fields, etc... I also have other apprppriate boots for those situations (Red Wings, Bean Boots, etc). I probably baby my cordovan more than most people, but I wear them typically in dress and casual situations, not heavy duty work. I feel like the high unique shine works better non-heavy duty situations. I've seen Crane's posts, they are interesting. To each his own...
Edited by Alcibiades - 3/2/12 at 6:12am
post #24416 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post

Thanks gents.
My whiskey LWB's are a recent acquisition.

From where, might I ask? Those are some of the best whiskey LWB I've seen in this thread
post #24417 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

1) Pebble grain boots on dainite soles are essential, I have a pair from Crockett and Jones... Alfted Sargent also makes a good pair

I'm wearing a pair of dainite sole pebble grain chukkas by AS as we speak. They are okay, nothing really special about them though.
post #24418 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

I'm wearing a pair of dainite sole pebble grain chukkas by AS as we speak. They are okay, nothing really special about them though.

These get some of the most compliments out of all of my shoes

5582298134_9407fcca23.jpg

Alden sources good pebble grain as well (Unionmade has had some great pebble grain make-ups).

EDIT - This is an outstanding makeup:

http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Manchester_Norwegian_Front_Blucher_in_Brown_Scotch_Grain_3535.html
post #24419 of 122416
If you want a pretty sweet scotch grain boot with a twist, you should jump on the Epaulet special make-up below:

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1431/Mixed-Media-Shortwing-Boot/Detail

It's gonna be a stellar foul weather boot.
post #24420 of 122416
^That Epaulet pic is a photoshopped version of my Leather Soul contest boot, pic lifted from the LS website.

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2011/10/11/alden-shoes-wingtip-boot-by-ac/

Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

By the way, what last are they on?

Hampton, I think.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.