or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1627  

post #24391 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfactor23 View Post

no - as stated earlier: "I say this without wanting to get into any debates/conversations/arguments on the matter - to each his own - "

And as I said, this is a typical response for someone using price as their reason.

Not blaming you, shell is expensive. I can see how many would not see the value.
post #24392 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

And as I said, this is a typical response for someone using price as their reason.
Not blaming you, shell is expensive. I can see how many would not see the value.

Also, seems pointless to come into a thread where everyone loves shell, say you will never buy a shell shoe, and then refuse to explain why.
post #24393 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post

I'd go with the Ravello NST blucher at shoemart currently. It's on the aberdeen last though. If you can weat that last in a D width you're golden. If they had that shoe in an E width i'd be all over that ish!
And no, ravello is it's own thing. More red than wiskey. Pull the trigger!
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

And as I said, this is a typical response for someone using price as their reason.
Not blaming you, shell is expensive. I can see how many would not see the value.

FWIW, I used to think cordovan boots (outside of maybe chukkas) were a waste - why use such leather on what is supposed to be a rugged shoe? Now, my cigar captoe boot is one of my favorite shoes and I have a ravello captoe on order, but there still is some of the original sentiment - for example, it's hard for me to personally get into the cordovan Indy boots on double leather soles that people seem to like.
post #24394 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecox View Post

Question: Do I need Ravello, and if so, what shoe?
I have Whiskey LWBs, Cigar chukkas, PTB #8s, and black shell captoe bals. As Whiskey ages, it darkens. Would it be too close to Ravello? When would I wear Ravello that I wouldn't wear either Whiskey or Cigar?
I know I'm missing a LHS, but I can't wear the Van Last, so that's an impossibility.
Thoughts?
263

You need ravello, it is one of the more stunning cordovan colors. As suggested, a LWB would be a good option. Also, ravello tassel loafers are also an excellent choice (Leffot has them occasionally). I also cannot wear van, but aberdeen lasted loafers fit me perfectly
post #24395 of 122416



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post


Also, seems pointless to come into a thread where everyone loves shell, say you will never buy a shell shoe, and then refuse to explain why.


 Beatlegeuse, perhaps I should put my comment into context - it was in response to the following:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by AldenLuver View Post


Forgive me for not knowing, but does the contest prohibit shell cordovan?  Not sure why you would design your dream Alden shoe/boot with calf.  I'm new so pardon me if I am off.

 

 

 

The point is that, for some, there is a preferance for calf over cordovan - for me, there is a very specific reason -

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

And as I said, this is a typical response for someone using price as their reason.
Not blaming you, shell is expensive. I can see how many would not see the value.


Furo, believe what you will -

and with that, gentleman, I am finished with this conversation -

post #24396 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

Grady Ervin? I just moved to Charleston and they're the only other shop besides Ben Silver that I'm aware of that sells Alden.

Yes, I think that's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

I find these to be rather exceptional, and I agree, the suede touch is a bit classier for this style of shoe.
By the way, I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see a pair of shoes here that not many, if any, of us have to display.
Wear with pride! fing02[1].gif

Thank you!
post #24397 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post

Yes, I think that's it.
Thank you!

By the way, what last are they on?
post #24398 of 122416
Arriving home from work.... just another day in New England....

Snow_2.jpg

Snow_3.jpg
post #24399 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

Arriving home from work.... just another day in New England....

I just finished shoveling that same storm. I hope I only have to do it once more tonight.
post #24400 of 122416


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfactor23 View Post



 



 Beatlegeuse, perhaps I should put my comment into context - it was in response to the following:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by AldenLuver View Post


Forgive me for not knowing, but does the contest prohibit shell cordovan?  Not sure why you would design your dream Alden shoe/boot with calf.  I'm new so pardon me if I am off.

 

 

 

The point is that, for some, there is a preferance for calf over cordovan - for me, there is a very specific reason -

 


Furo, believe what you will -

and with that, gentleman, I am finished with this conversation -


Not sure why you won't explain your "very specific reason for your preference for calf over shell cordovan" for bluchers, brogues, oxfords, etc... (I get the Indy/rugged boot argument, but for a dressier look, not sure.)   I'd like to know the other side of the debate...  just curious.  Either way, it's your call, sfactor23.

 

post #24401 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldenLuver View Post



 


Not sure why you won't explain your "very specific reason for your preference for calf over shell cordovan" for bluchers, brogues, oxfords, etc... (I get the Indy/rugged boot argument, but for a dressier look, not sure.)   I'd like to know the other side of the debate...  just curious.  Either way, it's your call, sfactor23.

can't a guy just have a personal preference that is against popular opinion on this forum?
yeesh,
let them eat calf!
post #24402 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

FWIW, I used to think cordovan boots (outside of maybe chukkas) were a waste - why use such leather on what is supposed to be a rugged shoe? Now, my cigar captoe boot is one of my favorite shoes and I have a ravello captoe on order, but there still is some of the original sentiment - for example, it's hard for me to personally get into the cordovan Indy boots on double leather soles that people seem to like.

Because cordo is an exceptionally rugged, low maintenance leather that also happens to look great? It *is* a great work leather shoe. Ask Crane about his Wolverine 721LTDs in #8 how much shit (literally) he puts them through. Just because a lot of nancy boys on an internet forum feel like they have to baby their $600+ boots doesn't mean that you have to do the same. At least in the case of my shell cordos, they're work boots, albeit really nice ones. I fully intend to abuse the fuck out of them.

(and I dig calf and the other leathers, but I'm not that fond of pebblegrain.)
post #24403 of 122416

I'm suddenly much more interested in a pair of cordovan shoes than I was just a few minutes ago  .  .  .

post #24404 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post

Nice looking collection. Ravello is a must, I'd go ravello LWB or PTB. Here's a few pics of ravello & whiskey.
IMG_1066.jpg
IMG_1067.jpg

Love the Ravello Captoe. A beautiful makeup
post #24405 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post


Love the Ravello Captoe. A beautiful makeup


+1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.