Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1617  

post #24241 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post

...As most of you know about two weeks ago I purchased my first pair of shells...I have worn them about 12 times since..


Glad I'm not the only one who gets excited with new shoes icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif. I recently picked up my first pair of shell shoes as well (AE Macneils in burgundy shell). I wore them every other day for two weeks myself.

Now that the honeymoon stage is getting over...lets give those guys a rest smile.gif.
post #24242 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by advan031 View Post

Where did u buy the Venetian shoe cream?


http://www.foresupplyco.com/productDetail.asp_Q_catID_E_48_A_subCatID_E_55_A_productID_E_703
 

 

post #24243 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post

Boy, those shoes are almost as old as I am!
just curious to know if you recall the price of them back in the day?


I do not...I did not pay for them as my folks were hooking me up with a suit etc..I think I was a Jr or Sr in High School....I believe they were purchased at Brooks Brothers...I know the suit was and remember getting shoes the same day if not the same store...

Alas, now that I wear nice footwear they still do not get much love as I am wearing my other boots all the time...

But they appreciate all the love from the forum smile.gif
post #24244 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post


Why did you buy 2 tins? 1 32 oz should last you a lifetime I would think.



No kidding! I don't why I was thinking that 32 oz was a lot less - and this stuff goes far!

 

post #24245 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post


Glad I'm not the only one who gets excited with new shoes :slayer:. I recently picked up my first pair of shell shoes as well (AE Macneils in burgundy shell). I wore them every other day for two weeks myself.
Now that the honeymoon stage is getting over...lets give those guys a rest :).


Sometimes I just take them out of the closet to look at them or brush them even when they don't need it. I got it bad - now I'm saving up for Cigar Chukkas.
 

 

post #24246 of 122416

I gotta say these plain toe snuff suede boots on ebay look pretty good.  They are seconds but still..

 

After looking around and then seeing Roguls posting several months ago for a similar boot it would seem that those will age pretty nicely.  Maybe it's his photos but they look pretty awesome.  

 

Now if only I hadn't blown my budget on a pair of #8 cap toes and CXL Indy's in the last two months I'd give them a shot.  

 

ffffuuuu.gif

 

 

 

post #24247 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post


So how do you know which type of leather is 'Pegasus' leather? Can it be assumed that all black calf leather used on Indy is 'Pegasus' leather?
Are the standard 401 that are black Indy's made with 'Pegasus' leather or is it more typical of special mark-ups?

 

I know that Epaulet's Black and Tans use Pegasus leather because they say so:

http://epauletshop.tumblr.com/post/308384613/alden-for-epaulet-black-and-tan-indy-boots

 

Usually, the seller will describe the type of leather used, if it's a special version of a shoe.

 

No, it cannot be assumed that all black calf leather used on Indys is Pegasus leather: as per Epaulet, Pegasus is a thick, matte finished cowhide - not calf.

To contrast, see Leather Soul's Ultimate Indy's which are made with aniline calf  (and, coincidentally, are available for sale right now: http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/02/24/alden-shoe-black-ultimate-indy-lsw/)

 

The standard 401 is made with calf leather; however, I don't know if there is a difference between the "normal" calf leather used and aniline calf; if anyone here knows of a difference, please speak up! smile.gif

 

by the way, I know of no shoe that uses Pegasus leather save for the Black and Tans -

post #24248 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post

I got mine Friday as well and broke them out to wear today. It's indeed a great looking boot and very comfortable. Next I need to get the corresponding jeans from Self Edge to go with them icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
522
522
522
(edit: I don't know why the photos are showing up at crazy angles)

Nice purchase! I'm thinking that you uploaded the original images upside down to your image hosting site. Flip them 180 degrees and you should be good to go.
post #24249 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

What should my next purchase be
Cigar chukka (I already have a cigar PTB and a cigar captoe boot)
Ravello NST boot (I already have ravello tassel loafers and ravello longwings)
Color 8 unlined PTB (I just have a color 8 longwing)
I have ravello captoe boots and a cigar longwing on order...

Some nice purchase so far and it looks like you have cigar & ravello covered for now. I'd go with the #8 unlined PTB or maybe even the #8 LHS. Here's a few pics…

LS Unlined #8 PTB
IMG_0313.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg

#8 LHS
IMG_0965.jpg
IMG_0988.jpg
IMG_0963.jpg
IMG_0987.jpg
post #24250 of 122416
^love the unlined PTB. Ive always been interested in an unlined PTB but Im concerned about excessive wrinkling. Have you experienced more creasing compared to a lined cordovan shoe?
post #24251 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

^love the unlined PTB. Ive always been interested in an unlined PTB but Im concerned about excessive wrinkling. Have you experienced more creasing compared to a lined cordovan shoe?

The unlined PTB does crease a little differently than my other shell PTB's. The shell is silky smooth to the touch & extremely flexible. I think the lack of a liner does lead to more creasing and the creases are more gradual but more of them if you know what I mean. The lack of liner & the flex welt make it the most comfortable Alden that I've ever worn right out of the box. Here's a few comparison pics of my PTB's to get a sense of the way each makeup creases.

Whiskey, Cigar and Unlined #8 PTB
IMG_1055.jpg
IMG_1057.jpg
IMG_1056.jpg
post #24252 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Bateman View Post

Mad Ave.is sold out in my size.

You've been pining for a pair of cigar Indy boots right? The most reliable way to get them is to place a preorder with Alden NYC, Leffot or J. Gilbert. We've all been in the situation where we want a certain Alden make-up and it's not readily available. All you can do at this point is bite the bullet with a preorder and then wait & wait.

Don't know your size and I have no affiliation with the seller but these are available…http://www.styleforum.net/t/283078/alden-leffot-jc-cigar-shell-indy-boot-9d-brand-new#post_5113918
post #24253 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post

The unlined PTB does crease a little differently than my other shell PTB's. The shell is silky smooth to the touch & extremely flexible. I think the lack of a liner does lead to more creasing and the creases are more gradual but more of them if you know what I mean. The lack of liner & the flex welt make it the most comfortable Alden that I've ever worn right out of the box. Here's a few comparison pics of my PTB's to get a sense of the way each makeup creases.
Whiskey, Cigar and Unlined #8 PTB
IMG_1055.jpg
IMG_1057.jpg
IMG_1056.jpg

My only concern is that the PTB is only available in 10D... I alternate between 9.5E and 10D, but 9.5E is my true barrie size... I would gather that the longer length plus unlined construction would lead to more severe creasing... However none of the retailers I know order the unlined PTB in E widths, so I may have to suck it up
post #24254 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfactor23 View Post


I know that Epaulet's Black and Tans use Pegasus leather because they say so:
http://epauletshop.tumblr.com/post/308384613/alden-for-epaulet-black-and-tan-indy-boots

Usually, the seller will describe the type of leather used, if it's a special version of a shoe.

No, it cannot be assumed that all black calf leather used on Indys is Pegasus leather: as per Epaulet, Pegasus is a thick, matte finished cowhide - not calf.
To contrast, see Leather Soul's Ultimate Indy's which are made with aniline calf  (and, coincidentally, are available for sale right now: http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/02/24/alden-shoe-black-ultimate-indy-lsw/)

The standard 401 is made with calf leather; however, I don't know if there is a difference between the "normal" calf leather used and aniline calf; if anyone here knows of a difference, please speak up! smile.gif

by the way, I know of no shoe that uses Pegasus leather save for the Black and Tans -

Thanks for clarifying! I've been recently eyeing the Nat CXL and black Indy... I just wouldn't wear it enough since I already have a handful of SC boots in addition to a couple of Tricker's and more casual boots... I really like the look of aged Nat CXL though...
post #24255 of 122416
Natural CXL plain toe boots on a lazy Sunday
261
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.