Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 12:06 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1562
Styleforum Top Picks
What are people's thoughts on the Indy 405 vs 403? I have the 403 but sometimes have second thoughts and wish I had bought the original. I've also heard that the 405 color can sometimes be too orange.
I see Leffot has the 405 with commando sole, which is tempting my wallet.
We also covet what we don't have The grass *is* always greener...isn't it?
It depends how conservatively you dress. Most any true MC guy (certainly nearly all the AAAC people) will tell you only bals with suits, but the last is really what matters. Balmoral lasts just tend to be sleeker, and more suit-friendly. It's just a personal style decision.
Now that I look again, the LS Hampton medallion bluchers really seem like the ideal Alden suit-friendly blucher: http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2011/12/26/alden-shoes-hampton-medallion-blucher-lsw/
I wear these bluchers shoes with suits:
1) #8 longwing (barrie)
2) #4 Atom (tremont)
3) Ralph Lauren dark brown Darlton
4) Ravello longwing (barrie)
Loafers (tassel, full strap in aberdeen) are also OK with suits. One reason I am attempting to sell my ravello PTBs is that I find the combination of the width (barrie, E fitting) and the creasing on it to be a bit too informal for suits. I think one of the unique benefits of cordovan wingtips, loafers, etc is the fact that they can be worn credibly with both suits and jeans.
My black calfskin shoes are balmorals (Church's). I am going to add a pair or two of Edward Green to the suit rotation as well.
I find them all to be pretty suit appropriate. A lot of well dressed individuals are wearing bluchers with suits nowadays. Traditionally it was bal only, but that isn't the case anymore IMO. That said, I would love to see Alden make more balmoral cordovan shoes.
I have the 403s and the 404s - Leffot is offering the 405s with a commando sole, and I was really tempted to get them but, to me, the 403s are nicer
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 37 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 53 seconds ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 59 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 1 minute ago
- › The Hanger Project: Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Our Legacy 3 minutes ago
- › San Francisco SF Styleforum Meet-up - Kirk Miller of Miller's Oath... 4 minutes ago
- › BNIB Alden Indy Boot - J. Crew Alden Indy 403 / 405 Chromexcel Size... 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...