Hmmm, I've heard of this "DSM IV"
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 8:34 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1518post #22756 of 1224162/2/12 at 2:47pmpost #22757 of 1224162/2/12 at 2:52pmpost #22758 of 1224162/2/12 at 3:12pmQuote:
for what it's worth, Leffot just posted this:
$690post #22759 of 1224162/2/12 at 3:27pmpost #22760 of 1224162/2/12 at 4:52pmi work in a casual office, mostly wear jeans, button down, and a sports coat. would a pair of black cordovan cap toe boots be too dressy (specifically style 4065)? i haven't been able to find many pics with that boot + jeans floating around.post #22761 of 1224162/2/12 at 5:03pmpost #22762 of 1224162/2/12 at 7:10pmpost #22763 of 1224162/2/12 at 7:11pm
To me, I would go for #8 or cigar.
Black is a bit too dressy, IMO.
Quote:post #22764 of 1224162/2/12 at 7:13pm
From what I have seen in this thread, indeed plain toe, and especially chukka, have the most creasing than others.
Quote:post #22765 of 1224162/2/12 at 7:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
thanks for the info! Also, FWIW I tried the C&J for RL Marlows, got them in a 12D, and they fit fine in the length but they were too wide so I had to return them. Not sure if that changes anything or not, but looks like I'll most likely be going for the 12.5D.
EDIT: not sure if it's just me, but boots seem to fit tighter than shoes. I just sold a pair of #8 Barrie LWB's in a 12C because they were still a little wide for me. I would tie them as tight as I could get them, but they still seemed a little loose, yet my 12D boots seem to fit well enough as long as I tie them tight.
Quick follow up to my sizing question...does anybody know how the Plaza compares to AE's 5 last (Strand, Park Ave, etc)? I tried on a pair of 12D Strands once and those definitely crushed my toes. So if the Plaza works roughly the same way as the 5 last, then I will definitely need to go for the 12.5 over the 12 in the Plaza.post #22766 of 1224162/2/12 at 7:25pmQuote:
I agree with the above. A brown shoe is going to be a bit more appropriate for casual wear with jeans, chinos, etc. I NEVER wear black shoes unless to an interview or with a tux. Also kind of depends on your age I guess. There's some older gents around these parts that don't mind black footwear for casual.post #22767 of 1224162/2/12 at 7:26pm
I did a little searching on this earlier, and it seems lots of people take the same size in plaza as AE #5, which is +.5 in length from barrie.
Quote:Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
Quick follow up to my sizing question...does anybody know how the Plaza compares to AE's 5 last (Strand, Park Ave, etc)? I tried on a pair of 12D Strands once and those definitely crushed my toes. So if the Plaza works roughly the same way as the 5 last, then I will definitely need to go for the 12.5 over the 12 in the Plaza.post #22768 of 1224162/2/12 at 7:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by AAF-8AF
Here's how much Alden pays attention to missing punches. This picture of a 974 is from a printed Alden catalog from 8 or 10 years ago. My own pair of 974's, acquired a few months ago, has a couple sections where there are three missing punches all within an inch or so. It adds character, right?
It's actually pretty ridiculous for a high end shoe manufacturer. Way too many examples of this crap.post #22769 of 1224162/2/12 at 7:50pmpost #22770 of 1224162/2/12 at 8:23pmQuote:
twice per week at beginning few months and around once per weeks when with more for rotation.
non-leather soled is more applicable in my country with wet and rainy climate
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › New $650 Kiton Solid White Spread Collar Dress Shirt 15.75 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 9 minutes ago
- › TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread 10 minutes ago
- › The Toronto For Sale Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 16 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 18 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 26 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 28 minutes ago
- › New Ralph Lauren line: Denim & Supply 30 minutes ago
- › VASS WHOLECUT LAST K - 9 UK - MTO BLUE SUEDE CALF 33 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...