or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1441  

post #21601 of 122416
312h1rr.jpg
color 8 full strap
argyle otc
post #21602 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

312h1rr.jpg
color 8 full strap
argyle otc

Great color on those #8s, Mac. Beautiful. How long have you had that particular pair?
post #21603 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogcr View Post

I need some help with sizing on the Indy boots. I'm aware that they fit a half size large, but I was wandering if someone could help me out with the heel to toe measurements in the size 11.5 and 11? My shoe size differentiates between an a UK10 and a UK11, depending on the manufacturer, and I'm a D width across the board. This will be my first pair of Alden's and I'd prefer to nail the sizing first time, because, ordering from Scotland, sending these back for an exchange will be expensive and time consuming. 

I am NOT an expert like many of the people in this thread, but when I recently picked up my 403's, I used my Brannock device size to size down. I measured an 8.5E (what I wear in Allen Edmonds) and ordered an 8E in the Indy. Hopefully someone else will chime in to help.
post #21604 of 122416
600

First day outside with my new LWBs.
post #21605 of 122416
An even worse story. I bought a pair of Kudu Indys and wore them a number of times. The left shoe was very loose, but my left foot is slightly smaller than the right so I didn't think about it too much and kept wearing them. Over and over I tightened the shoe laces on the left foot but couldnt get it tight enough for comfort. To make a long story short, the left shoe was a size 10.5 and I the other a 10 (I thought I had purchased size 10). So my slightly smaller foot was wearing a shoe that was a half size bigger than the shoe on my bigger foot. At that point the store wouldn't take them back because I had worn them.

LESSON: Always look at the shoe size before putting them on your feet the first time!
post #21606 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renalan View Post

600
First day outside with my new LWBs.

Beauts.
post #21607 of 122416
When I get a pair of Aldens, I inspect them for a good 5 minutes to make sure there aren't any horrible defects. I say horrible because I don't own a single pair of Alden shoes without a defect. I dont even like dealing with Alden when it comes to fixing mistakes because they manage that process poorly. The sole/heel on a pair of my Alden indy boots was clearly a size larger than it needed to be on one shoe (someone in the factory did a horrible job cutting off the excess edge). Alden refused to deal with me directly and told me to do it through the retailer. I sent the boots to the retailer with a note indicating what was wrong, and they sent the boots to Alden. Three weeks later I received the boots back with a note from Alden telling me they found no manufacturing defects.

I am more or less done with Alden now and branched out to other brands. I really like the way barrie/plaza lasted shoes fit and look on my foot but have decided to just look elsewhere to find the quality standards I desire.
post #21608 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

^ Don't forget the missing perf hole on the outside of the right shoe teacha.gif

Classic!icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #21609 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI View Post

When I get a pair of Aldens, I inspect them for a good 5 minutes to make sure there aren't any horrible defects. I say horrible because I don't own a single pair of Alden shoes without a defect. I dont even like dealing with Alden when it comes to fixing mistakes because they manage that process poorly. The sole/heel on a pair of my Alden indy boots was clearly a size larger than it needed to be on one shoe (someone in the factory did a horrible job cutting off the excess edge). Alden refused to deal with me directly and told me to do it through the retailer. I sent the boots to the retailer with a note indicating what was wrong, and they sent the boots to Alden. Three weeks later I received the boots back with a note from Alden telling me they found no manufacturing defects.
I am more or less done with Alden now and branched out to other brands. I really like the way barrie/plaza lasted shoes fit and look on my foot but have decided to just look elsewhere to find the quality standards I desire.

You got any alternatives to a Black Cap Toe Boot?
post #21610 of 122416
At the end of the day, the main benefits to Alden shoes are

1) High quality Horween leathers (Chromexcel, cordovan, and I assume suede) in unique colors
2) Willingness to work with retailers (many of whom work with customers) to develop special styles
3) Variety of well-fitting lasts
4) Recraft-ability (not necessarily by Alden, but by a variety of cobblers)
5) Decent price point compared to shoemakers that work with similar materials
6) Traditional aesthetic (high quality and stylish in a "handsome," "gentlemanly" way)

Alden shoes are pretty comfortable, can be very eye catching (cordovan, suede, etc tend to get tons of compliments) and overall enhance one's look.

The obvious downsides are
1) Poor quality control, particularly as they ramp production
2) Low / inconsistent availability

For what Alden is selling, there are similar brands, but you generally pay more or don't have the selection. For Chromexcel / suede boots in a similar aesthetic, Oak Street, Yuketen, etc are available but cost the same or more. If you want cordovan, Ralph Lauren's models start at $850 regular price (obviously they go on sale) while Allen Edmond's produces a few models in black and brown (they are expanding, but still don't offer the array of colors and styles). Otherwise, you have to go the MTO route with someone like Ron Rider, Edward Green, etc and spend $1,200+. YMMV

EDIT - Here is an example. You can order MTO with Edward Green, they will make you a wingtip (or longwing or whatever) using Horween's whiskey shell and it will cost you $1,600 pre tax. It will be extremely well made

http://leffot.com/2011/02/22/the-shell-game/

Or you can buy an Alden whiskey longwing made from I believe the same Horween whiskey shell for $700 pre-tax. It may have some quality control issues, but it is half the price.

Maybe Carmina or other brands will fill in the gap, but right now it is what it is
Edited by Alcibiades - 1/17/12 at 12:37pm
post #21611 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

You got any alternatives to a Black Cap Toe Boot?

How about this Alfred Sargent boot? I have no idea on sizing but you can check out the MC thread for A Fine Pair of Shoes.....
post #21612 of 122416
Speaking of quirks, I have a pair of seconds that may interest somebody; a new pair of #8 Indy Boots with Double leather soles in size 9.5D (Trubalance last). If anyone is interested feel free to shoot me a PM and I can send pictures. I'll do first come, first served. The only flaw that exists is that the machine stitching is a little off. Probably not something that would be noticed when worn. NIce opportunity for someone as they now go for over $700 new, first quality.

The asking price would be what I paid plus fees ($410 + shipping + paypal). = ~ $445 shipped.

Thank you.
post #21613 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by interlockingny View Post

Speaking of quirks, I have a pair of seconds that may interest somebody; a new pair of #8 Indy Boots with Double leather soles in size 9.5D (Trubalance last). If anyone is interested feel free to shoot me a PM and I can send pictures. I'll do first come, first served. The only flaw that exists is that the machine stitching is a little off. Probably not something that would be noticed when worn. NIce opportunity for someone as they now go for over $700 new, first quality.
The asking price would be what I paid plus fees ($410 + shipping + paypal). = ~ $445 shipped.
Thank you.

Gah. Why do you people all have such small feet?
post #21614 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


For what Alden is selling, there are similar brands, but you generally pay more or don't have the selection. For Chromexcel / suede boots in a similar aesthetic, Oak Street, Yuketen, etc are available but cost the same or more. If you want cordovan, Ralph Lauren's models start at $850 regular price (obviously they go on sale) while Allen Edmond's produces a few models in black and brown (they are expanding, but still don't offer the array of colors and styles). Otherwise, you have to go the MTO route with someone like Ron Rider, Edward Green, etc and spend $1,200+. YMMV
EDIT - Here is an example. You can order MTO with Edward Green, they will make you a wingtip (or longwing or whatever) using Horween's whiskey shell and it will cost you $1,600 pre tax. It will be extremely well made
http://leffot.com/2011/02/22/the-shell-game/
Or you can buy an Alden whiskey longwing made from I believe the same Horween whiskey shell for $700 pre-tax. It may have some quality control issues, but it is half the price.
Maybe Carmina or other brands will fill in the gap, but right now it is what it is

I agree with your point. However, someone posted up a pair of MTO Shell AS shoes that he said cost around $600. I'm really thinking about going that route for future shoes. As far as I know (I talked to Chay Cooper about it a bit), AS will do some minor fit tweaks on the MTO shoes as well.
post #21615 of 122416
what do people think of the Leydon last?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.