or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1437  

post #21541 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

Any place to get calfskin black alden boots?



what size are you?

 

I have a pair of 10D new for sale

 

post #21542 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunw View Post




what size are you?

I have a pair of 10D new for sale

frown.gif I'm like a 7 or 8
post #21543 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

Getting rid of a few things in the closet. I'm moving away from boots and want to unload my unworn 10D CXL wingtips...
http://www.styleforum.net/t/283346/nib-alden-cxl-wingtip-boots-10d#post_5118654
100_3609.jpg

so you are never wearing boots again? unless you live in the tropics how is that even possible?
post #21544 of 122416
Hey what's this I've been reading about the crepe sole being slippery in the rain? I expected it to actually have more traction. Also, what's that about Alden not putting a different sole on a pair of shoes, e.g., crepe sole to Commando sole?
post #21545 of 122416
^ If the weather is crappy (i.e. snowing), I don't like wearing 100% leather soled footwear. Also, I personally like oxfords over boots, but YMMV.
post #21546 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie Rog View Post

Hey what's this I've been reading about the crepe sole being slippery in the rain? I expected it to actually have more traction. Also, what's that about Alden not putting a different sole on a pair of shoes, e.g., crepe sole to Commando sole?

On a smooth wet surface like a garage floor, crepe is slippery but to be honest, it's no worse than a leather sole.
post #21547 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie Rog View Post

Hey what's this I've been reading about the crepe sole being slippery in the rain? I expected it to actually have more traction. Also, what's that about Alden not putting a different sole on a pair of shoes, e.g., crepe sole to Commando sole?

Both those are true. My crepe soles are slick, and Alden appears to no longer be willing to resole to anything but stock.
post #21548 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

On a smooth wet surface like a garage floor, crepe is slippery but to be honest, it's no worse than a leather sole.

True, but leather isn't exactly the benchmark of wet weather practicality!

My feeling with Alden is go commando or go leather.
post #21549 of 122416
Is there that much difference between a Plaza Last and Grant Last? Shit makes my head spin trying to pick the boot I want...
post #21550 of 122416
Regarding that hole in your boots, of the few pairs of Alden's that I've inspected, most have had those damned holes! I feel that its ridiculous. I have fallen in love with this brand, but I have a low tolerance for imperfections. I love that they're handmade in the USA, but I also feel that if you're charging over $600 for a pair of boots, then the standards have to be higher. That's a LOT of money for shoes!
post #21551 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie Rog View Post

Regarding that hole in your boots, of the few pairs of Alden's that I've inspected, most have had those damned holes! I feel that its ridiculous. I have fallen in love with this brand, but I have a low tolerance for imperfections. I love that they're handmade in the USA, but I also feel that if you're charging over $600 for a pair of boots, then the standards have to be higher. That's a LOT of money for shoes!

not really a defect, just an artifact of the construction process. Those holes are from the nails used to tack the uppers to the last during the construction of the shoe. I'll be the first to admit that Alden has sloppy quality and finishing (still love em though) but I don't find that this falls into that category really as you can't get around the necessity for them.
post #21552 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

My feeling with Alden is go commando or go leather.

+1 Plus, I don't consider myself microphobic but the crepe sole gets real nasty, real fast (like leave them outside the house nasty).
post #21553 of 122416
New today, #8 plain toe boot, Truebalance last, commando sole. Sort of an Indy minus a some stitching. Quite happy with the the look and the prospect of using them in circumstances in which I wouldn't use leather soles.

265412392
post #21554 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post

not really a defect, just an artifact of the construction process. Those holes are from the nails used to tack the uppers to the last during the construction of the shoe. I'll be the first to admit that Alden has sloppy quality and finishing (still love em though) but I don't find that this falls into that category really as you can't get around the necessity for them.

I picked up two pairs that have no trace of the hole. It seems like something that can be either mitigated or avoided if one tries.
post #21555 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

I picked up two pairs that have no trace of the hole. It seems like something that can be either mitigated or avoided if one tries.

The holes are there, they are just covered on the ones you looked at, as they are supposed to be, by the leather backing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.