Cigar for a more subdued look and Whiskey for more pop. I vote for you to get a pair of Cigar PTB's, a pair of Whiskey LWB's and some Ravello WT boots. This is the Aldenoholics thread after all.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 11:32 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1435post #21511 of 1224161/15/12 at 7:45pmpost #21512 of 1224161/15/12 at 7:58pmpost #21513 of 1224161/15/12 at 8:19pmpost #21514 of 1224161/15/12 at 8:20pmQuote:
Thanks! It's remarkable how different shell can look under various lighting conditions.Quote:Originally Posted by mcarthurQuote:
Thanks! Never even noticed the missing perf, won't bug me in the slightest for no Alden is perfect.post #21515 of 1224161/15/12 at 8:27pmQuote:
I'd go cigar first with ravello a close second and whiskey last. This could be because I don't own cigar or ravello in the LWB, yet.post #21516 of 1224161/15/12 at 10:22pm
Just got my Whiskey Tanker Boot. Absolutely love it.
But I found a hole at the heel of the boots, both of them have it. I can see the hole inside as well.
The salesperson told me the all chukka style (with shell) and tanker style (NST) have this hole at the heel, and it is normal because the way Alden made the boots will leave the hole on the boot.
Then I checked several boots in the shop and confirmed all have the holes, but not on Indy or cap toe.
I am curious that I don't recall anybody here mention it.post #21517 of 1224161/15/12 at 11:04pmCan I see some aged natural chromexcel boots pics? I just bought a new pair of Indy natural CXL and I'm not sure I like the color more than standard 405 brown. Will they ever turn darker to the point of brown chromexel?
I really like the 360 welt better than 270 ones so I'd love to keep them but can't stop thinking about 405...post #21518 of 1224161/15/12 at 11:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by rosenkruez
Can I see some aged natural chromexcel boots pics? I just bought a new pair of Indy natural CXL and I'm not sure I like the color more than standard 405 brown. Will they ever turn darker to the point of brown chromexel?
I really like the 360 welt better than 270 ones so I'd love to keep them but can't stop thinking about 405...
If you use something like Chelsea or Manchester Leather Food on them, they'll darken up considerably. For example, had a pair of light brown Clark's Buschacres that went from this:
with about two applications. (I know, I know, no need to comment on the state of the shoes. They're beaters that took me through South America)
It may do wonders for my football boots, but I will be purchasing some Saphir from here on out for my most recent acquisitions.post #21519 of 1224161/16/12 at 12:23amQuote:
Shitty phone picture, but you can easily see the difference, especially if you look near the eyelets and compare to the toe. These are about a month old from leffot and have a few coats of Montana Pitch Blend on em...post #21520 of 1224161/16/12 at 5:40amQuote:
Oh, you were talking about the Cordovan Marlows. Those are indeed C&J.
The made in USA Polo loafers are from Rancourt.post #21521 of 1224161/16/12 at 7:21amQuote:
enjoy wearing your good looking boots
black shell is definitely understatedpost #21522 of 1224161/16/12 at 7:23ampost #21523 of 1224161/16/12 at 7:36amQuote:
The missing perf wouldn't bother me either--it's almost like an unstated Alden trademark. Kinda cool if you know to look for it.post #21524 of 1224161/16/12 at 7:46amQuote:Originally Posted by NotClever
This is conjecture on my part, but I believe the reason the mac method works is because shell, and to a lesser extent CXL, are already very oily leathers. Polish adds some oil (and possibly wax) to leather, which primes the fibers in the leather lay such that the shoe shines when buffed. I believe shell is basically already primed to shine, so you just need to do the part of a shoe shine that brings out the shine in the lather. CXL is similar, but I think it can only really be brought to a glow, a la calfskin leather with creme polish.
For similar reasons, I don't think the mac method can do much for more than a scuff or shallow ding. If it's shallow enough that rearranging the oils in the leather can fill it in/cover it up, you're good to go, but otherwise you'll need to either live with it or use a polish that will fill in the ding.
Thanks, and I concur. I have learned not to fret about minor dings and dents, as I am hard on the shoes I wear often. They're just gonna happen, and it's not worth getting worked up about. After all, they are shoes and they're meant to be worn.
J Crew CXL Indy boots today.post #21525 of 1224161/16/12 at 8:09am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 1 minute ago
- › Eidos Napoli 2 minutes ago
- › 5th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling 3 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Momotaro 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 9 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 12 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...