or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1420  

post #21286 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.michael View Post

LHS3-1.jpg
Another data point in the “Should I size down a half size for the Van last” debate.
New Brooks Brothers cordovan unlined LHS (Van last) on the left. Alden full strap cordovan (Aberdeen last) on the right. Both size 11B. I lined them up evenly and as you can see, the Van is a hair shorter and has a narrower heel than the Aberdeen full strap. The LHS width feels and looks narrower as well. I could size down in the full strap to 10.5C and be okay. No way could I do it with the LHS (tried it).
Interesting thing on the color--I have worn the full strap about a dozen times (lightly—you can still see the outline of the “Shell Cordovan” stamp on the bottom of the sole) but you can see how the Color 8 has lightened up—the vamp shows the color shade in the pic but the entire shoe has lightened up to that shade. You can see it better in person. It looks awesome!nod[1].gif

Great picture. It shows that the unlined Van lasted shoes are narrower in the heel and wider in the toe box (great). It also shows how much tighter the Van is than the Aberdeen over the instep (not great).

I wonder if the narrower heel on the unlined BB is due to the very narrow heel stiffener that Alden uses. I seem to recall thinking the Van last had a reasonably wide heel when I tried on the regular lined version - I wonder if they use a wider stiffener on those shoes.
post #21287 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotClever View Post

I believe the mac method suggestion is paste wax after a minimum of 15 wears, preferably only when the shoe definitely needs it. So far all I've used is a little Reno myself, but I've been loving my Indys too much and haven't worn my shells more than 15 times to see how it treats them.

Thank you.
post #21288 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

eai92e.jpg
ravello full strap
argyle otc

Darn, those are very nice. Lovely shine and excellent sock/trouser pairing, of course, but there's something about the color of this particular pair. Thanks for the photo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg View Post

I was glad to read a few pages back about the barrie shell chukka fit issue--I was beginning to think my feet were just weird. Turns out, it's the shoe. Good to know, though it does make it hard to know what my Barrie size should be.

Don't mean to buck the trend here too much, but I have a pair of shell chukkas and don't feel as if they have a loose or sloppy fit. I do double knot the laces, but I do that with all the thin dress laces on my Aldens. Otherwise I'm retying them about every five minutes. Don't know why that is... But now I'm going to have to put those chukkas on again, just to see if the power of suggestion makes them feel loose.
post #21289 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Nice.
Was a stacked leather heel an option?

Do you mean as in the Alden commando soles? I don't know if this is possible. Nick at B. Nelson told me that they can't source the same sole that Alden uses, and I don't think that there was a different brand with a similar look that he recommended. The soles you see in the picture are the ones that he recommended, and I am glad I took his advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHide View Post

I like it a lot - a little more pronounced than the Alden commando which looks great on your boot. How much?

I don't have a specific amount, since it was bundled with charges for other work. But I think you could expect at least $150, maybe a little more. But don't quote me. Only Nick could say.
post #21290 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg View Post

I was glad to read a few pages back about the barrie shell chukka fit issue--I was beginning to think my feet were just weird. Turns out, it's the shoe. Good to know, though it does make it hard to know what my Barrie size should be.

I think it was Kissinger that said "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that people aren't out to get you." Same could be true about your feet - they might still be weird. biggrin.gif
post #21291 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.michael View Post

LHS3-1.jpg
Another data point in the “Should I size down a half size for the Van last” debate.
New Brooks Brothers cordovan unlined LHS (Van last) on the left. Alden full strap cordovan (Aberdeen last) on the right. Both size 11B. I lined them up evenly and as you can see, the Van is a hair shorter and has a narrower heel than the Aberdeen full strap. The LHS width feels and looks narrower as well. I could size down in the full strap to 10.5C and be okay. No way could I do it with the LHS (tried it).
Interesting thing on the color--I have worn the full strap about a dozen times (lightly—you can still see the outline of the “Shell Cordovan” stamp on the bottom of the sole) but you can see how the Color 8 has lightened up—the vamp shows the color shade in the pic but the entire shoe has lightened up to that shade. You can see it better in person. It looks awesome!nod[1].gif

That comparison is also good to highlight the problem that people with a high instep have with the Van - see how much further the shoe comes up on the instep. That's what makes them almost unwearable for me.
post #21292 of 122416
I can't fit in any Van lasted shoe (that I have tried) because the vamp is too low. Shame because I would love a pair of whisky LHS.
post #21293 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post

Thanks to all who responded. I do indeed have a high instep, and that may well be the source of my fit problems with the LHS. In any case, I think that I will avoid the Van last for now. Although I really liked those cigar loafers. I'll just have to keep looking. Perhaps C&J is the way to go.
As I mentioned, the sales guy in NYC did give me a pitch about how I would have to endure a little discomfort at first, but that if I had faith and persevered, the shoes would in time become very comfortable. It was hard to challenge him, since he has much more experience than I do. But the shoes are too expensive to take that chance. This approach didn't seem right to me, and I didn't think that shell could stretch that much.

After wasting a sickening amount of money on LHS in various sizes over the years, I have abandoned all hope of wearing them for this very reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

I can't stand the look of black shoes with chinos. I don't like the look of black shoes with casual outfits at all.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudshift View Post

Go Color 8. wink.gif

Couldn't agree more. Color 8 is so very versatile.

#8 and alpine calf saddles today.469
post #21294 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post

Couldn't agree more. Color 8 is so very versatile.

+1 to your +1.

The only time I think black looks a nice as #8 is when I'm wearing a charcoal suit. Every other time, #8 looks so much better. I obtain shoes in at least a 10/1 ratio of anything else to black.
post #21295 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post

Thanks to all who responded. I do indeed have a high instep, and that may well be the source of my fit problems with the LHS. In any case, I think that I will avoid the Van last for now. Although I really liked those cigar loafers. I'll just have to keep looking. Perhaps C&J is the way to go.
As I mentioned, the sales guy in NYC did give me a pitch about how I would have to endure a little discomfort at first, but that if I had faith and persevered, the shoes would in time become very comfortable. It was hard to challenge him, since he has much more experience than I do. But the shoes are too expensive to take that chance. This approach didn't seem right to me, and I didn't think that shell could stretch that much.

After wasting a sickening amount of money on LHS in various sizes over the years, I have abandoned all hope of wearing them for this very reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

I can't stand the look of black shoes with chinos. I don't like the look of black shoes with casual outfits at all.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudshift View Post

Go Color 8. wink.gif

Couldn't agree more. Color 8 is so very versatile.

#8 and alpine calf saddles today.469

Was just admiring those saddles online (Leffot, yes?). I am coming to like the style, particularly with the Oxford lacing. And this version is so nice with the contrast of #8 and the tan calf.
post #21296 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post

more color comparisons:
Staring at 9:00 with the
Alden Whiskey Shell PTB
Alden Ravello Shell Chukka
AE Black Cherry Shell PTB
C&J Brown Shell Wingtip Boot
AE Brown Shell Loafer
C&J Burgundy Shell PTBoot
will be definitely getting rid of those ravello chukka boots due to fit issues mentioned above, too bad.
263

good looking shoe wardrobe
post #21297 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post

Darn, those are very nice. Lovely shine and excellent sock/trouser pairing, of course, but there's something about the color of this particular pair. Thanks for the photo.


thank you
post #21298 of 122416
Does calf ever come in a #8? Mostly looking for calf #8 toe cap or long boot.
post #21299 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

How does these cap toe boots look with cuffed jeans or chinos? I feel like they could like military'ish with jeans or chinos and dressy with a suite. Which is why I'm considering them.
350

i wear them with all but chinos - i prefer browns or color 8 with them over black
post #21300 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

Does calf ever come in a #8? Mostly looking for calf #8 toe cap or long boot.

Pretty sure that color #8 is Horween's name for that shade of shell cordovan. So you might just be needing a pair of burgundy calf if you are not interested in shell.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.