or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1396  

post #20926 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikid View Post

I've also got the Ravello ptb (with commando soles) and I hope that mine will look as good as yours one day.  I am of course following the Mac method!

 

they will look very well as long as you use the method
post #20927 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

I think those awesome discounts are gone for good. Alden must have caught on to J Crew's pricing.
I'm also gonna put in for that LS Plaza Captoe in #8 pre-order. Let's hope the world doesn't really end in 2012.
Uncle Mac - simply superb, as always.

nephew,
thank you
post #20928 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post

Help - what would your highest bid be on these? I'm thinking around $280-300?


http://www.ebay.com/itm/180788066258?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

the soles on alden shell toward the heel have the alden crown and right below there would be the word alden and right below would say made in usa. this means that the heels and souls have been changed at least once. its your money make your own decision
post #20929 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

the soles on alden shell toward the heel have the alden crown and right below there would be the word alden and right below would say made in usa. this means that the heels and souls have been changed at least once. its your money make your own decision

But with the ability to send them back to Alden to "correct" them, wouldn't it still be a relative snag price-wise?

That's the opinion I took on the Balmorals I won. $125 for shell cordovan + the fee for restructuring is still far below any retail snag.
post #20930 of 122416
Just received these mismatched natural indys from the shoemart as seconds. I sized down 1 from 9D to 8E and the left (appears to be Modified) fits perfectly while the right (appears to be trubalance) is slightly wide and has a higher arch. Almost impossible to tell that they are mismatched lasts when looking at them but not sure if I'm going to keep them due to the arch fit. It would have been nice if shoemart specified this before buying.

I think I'm going to return them as I am having some pain in my right foot after wearing for a few hours. Does anyone know if the Barrie in 8D would fit rougly the same as the modified in 8E (since the modified is a slimmer last)?




img2374kd.jpg
Edited by rioni - 1/6/12 at 2:13pm
post #20931 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post


the soles on alden shell toward the heel have the alden crown and right below there would be the word alden and right below would say made in usa. this means that the heels and souls have been changed at least once. its your money make your own decision


Interesting. The crest does appear to be missing from the sole, but if they've been worn long enough to resole I'm highly impressed that the crest on the heel of the footbed appears good as new.

post #20932 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

But with the ability to send them back to Alden to "correct" them, wouldn't it still be a relative snag price-wise?
That's the opinion I took on the Balmorals I won. $125 for shell cordovan + the fee for restructuring is still far below any retail snag.

it likely means they are well used (if heel/soles have been replaced) so how comfortable are you buying shoes that old?

you can recraft them sure, but it's not like recraft = new shoes. the soles will be new but the wear and tear will still be there on the uppers and in the insoles may be formed to somebody else's foot.

I think used shoes can be great deals, but only when they are very lightly used.

double edit: to be clear this is what mcarthur is referencing.

261

triple edit: man those do look like their in good shape. I wonder if this was a commando or crepe sole that somebody had resoled by a random cobbler soon after buying
post #20933 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioni View Post

Just received these mismatched natural indys from the shoemart as seconds. ][/URL]

Is there a place while doing an online order to specify seconds, or do you just more or less receive whatever they send?
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post

it likely means they are well used (if heel/soles have been replaced) so how comfortable are you buying shoes that old?
you can recraft them sure, but it's not like recraft = new shoes. the soles will be new but the wear and tear will still be there on the uppers and in the insoles may be formed to somebody else's foot.
I think used shoes can be great deals, but only when they are very lightly used.
edit: I would look at those shoes and say "wow they have only been worn a few times" but mcarthur knows far more than I about Alden so I trust what he says about them

That's a good point. Fortunately, in my case, the shoe came and is still in very decent condition. But I understand your point.
post #20934 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post


the soles on alden shell toward the heel have the alden crown and right below there would be the word alden and right below would say made in usa. this means that the heels and souls have been changed at least once. its your money make your own decision


Really? I thought that these looked fairly new... sheesh... Perhaps worth $250?

post #20935 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post



Really? I thought that these looked fairly new... sheesh... Perhaps worth $250?

you can do a search on ebay for completed listings. though ultimately "worth" can be highly personal
post #20936 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post


you can do a search on ebay for completed listings. though ultimately "worth" can be highly personal


Yes, but the cordovan leather looked in very good shape...

post #20937 of 122416

Finally got a chance to rock my Vanguard Boots from LS today:

 

IMG_1172.jpg

 

IMG_1174.jpg

post #20938 of 122416
Nice boots! (vanguard) do you know if those are n the Barrie or Trubalance last?
post #20939 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by applky View Post



Neither will I. The all-eyelets look is much cleaner and nicer, and the boots fit better I find.

Also, Alden's speed hooks will pull out hems on dress trousers.


I agree!! I was getting into a car yesterday and the speed hook caught in the hem of my pants and really did a number- I was really pissed- the pants will require repair.

The eyelets look cleaner and DO seem to fit cleaner to the ankle..

I was the one who had the speed hooks replaced by Alden ...and whilst they are misaligned they are simply not at all noticeable when wearing...

I think I will avoid speed hooks from now if if at all possible...
post #20940 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post

you can do a search on ebay for completed listings. though ultimately "worth" can be highly personal

+1. You never know with eBay and I can see them selling for $300+ especially if the seller is willing to ship to Japan. FWIW I once sold used #8 chukkas that were Shoemart seconds for close to $400 once due to some guy getting a little too exuberant with his bidding...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.