Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1391post #20851 of 1224161/5/12 at 7:16ampost #20852 of 1224161/5/12 at 7:26amJust oiled some natural cxl boots with Obenauf's and...whoops. The parts that crease/receive more 'activity' when walking (i.e. around the toebox) darkened significantly, but other parts did not. I know they're not ruined, but does anybody have any thoughts on how to even out the color a bit?post #20853 of 1224161/5/12 at 7:48ampost #20854 of 1224161/5/12 at 9:36ampost #20855 of 1224161/5/12 at 10:01amQuote:Originally Posted by dougie
Just oiled some natural cxl boots with Obenauf's and...whoops. The parts that crease/receive more 'activity' when walking (i.e. around the toebox) darkened significantly, but other parts did not. I know they're not ruined, but does anybody have any thoughts on how to even out the color a bit?
Don't do anything. This happened almost every time I use Lexol or Obenauf on my natural tanker boots early on - after a few days the color evens out by itself. And as you oil your boots you will see this less and less - it only happened to me the first few times - give them time to breath...post #20856 of 1224161/5/12 at 10:43amQuote:Originally Posted by seer
Don't do anything. This happened almost every time I use Lexol or Obenauf on my natural tanker boots early on - after a few days the color evens out by itself. And as you oil your boots you will see this less and less - it only happened to me the first few times - give them time to breath...
Word. Thanks man. I knew instinctively that I hadn't really done anything wrong, but still a scary moment, right?post #20857 of 1224161/5/12 at 10:57amQuote:
Yes, the first time I oiled them not only did the toe boxes and creases get much darker there were black spots all along the outside lower part of the boots. Though I have been thinking about using neatsfoot oil - that is what Horween suggests for their CXL leather.post #20858 of 1224161/5/12 at 11:03ampost #20859 of 1224161/5/12 at 11:15ampost #20860 of 1224161/5/12 at 11:33ampost #20861 of 1224161/5/12 at 11:43amQuote:
I like them a lot and they are the casual LHS I was wanting. The fit is a little loose, especially in the heel, and I had to put in tongue pads to push my foot back as well as wear thicker socks. I got them the same size as two pair I have in shell but they are looser overall. In the shell versions I had to use a shoe stretcher a couple times and be patient with break-in until the strap stopped pressing so much on my instep. These CXL shoes never bothered my instep at all. They start out a bit stiff, so that contributes some to the heel slipping, but I still think that for whatever reason the heel is looser. Even with the tongue pads my heels still slip a bit and that means that these shoes have not been great so far for long walks.
So, would I want a smaller size? That's a tough call because I don't think I could do with one width narrower to address the heel as I think it's perfect in the forefoot as it is and the strap on the LHS is a challenge to fit right. Lengthwise, the widest part of my foot is at the widest part of the shoe, so going shorter would compromise that fit with, again, putting more strap pressure on the instep. Given all that I know, I think I have the right size but will deal with the heel and abstain from wearing them if I need to do a lot of walking. I'm okay with the compromise. Let me know if you have any other questions.post #20862 of 1224161/5/12 at 11:44am
Just in case anyone is looking for a nice new pair of Alden Boots in a cool collaboration between Alden & Blackbird
Size 10D brand new in box with cloth bag, etc.
I have them listed in classifieds sections with a link below the picturepost #20863 of 1224161/5/12 at 11:49amNote: NOT meant to be a rant post at all.
Sitting at home with the flu so I examined some of my Aldens for missing punches.
Examine some suede shortwings, ravello longwings, my unworn #8 longwings from Orvis, and my whiskey longwings.
Only the ravello were not missing a punch, hence no picture of them.
Each pic is of a different shoe.
Edited by zippyh - 1/5/12 at 12:19pmpost #20864 of 1224161/5/12 at 11:52ampost #20865 of 1224161/5/12 at 11:53am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 32 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 2 minutes ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Shoe Pictorial Index 10 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...