Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1359  

post #20371 of 122416
you guys keep talking like leathersoul is the only place to get aldens. aldens have many makeup's with other retailers now. its only a matter time before you get your hands on what you want just the wait. i don't even go to leathersouls page anymore. i mostly just go here or check out other blogs.
post #20372 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

I think this is a really unfair post to Tom and Leather Soul. I know both Tom and Steven, I think they both try very hard to run good shops providing product to a very quirky crowd. I cannot imaginve how frustrating some days must be for them. Look, both are at the mercy of Alden which can be (my comments not Steven's or Tom's) be more than a little deaf at times. I became so frustrated this year with the company (not going to get into it) that I canceled an order with Tom. He was a perfect gentlemen and was very understanding. Tom's site is primarily a pictorial blog--for some reason this is extremely difficult for people on this site to comprehend. He does not take orders online and he does not encourage people who are unfamiliar with the products or their sizing to order from his company over the phone. Tom sells a products which is extremely personal. My shoe size ranges from 8E (UK) to 9.5E U.S. Most of the products are handmade and all have substantially less value after the first wear. The depreciation is worse than a Bentley after the first drive. I believe Tom really wants, and behaves as if he wants, every possible customer. That said, if you cannot understand why he has certainly policies and acts in certain ways then you are either a fool or have no appreciation for the fact that he is not running a charity.

Perhaps you should re-read my post before calling me out as a fool. My perspective stands as fact. I did not post about it at the time online and my response was rather matter-of-fact. I just took my business elsewhere where getting someone to respond to a simple question like "what do you have in size 9.5e" could be answered directly. If you would like to characterize me as a fool for doing so, perhaps you ought to examine your own intentions. Notice I have said nothing about Tom - I didn't speak to him when I called LS in LA. All you say may be true of Tom's intentions but that really has nothing to do with my business interactions with the LS shop.

Also, let's not lump Steven from Leffot into this - as I mentioned in my post, he did not have anything in my size but was perfectly cordial and responsive over the phone to my inquiries. Enough that I felt comfortable buying a few other items from him. His process and those of other shops seem a bit more democratic or straight forward with regards to shoes and sizes than what I experienced with LS in LA.

Let me make this crystal clear for you - I wish LS the best and I would be happy to buy a shoe from them. They have wonderful and unique makeups. But in the meanwhile, while I wait around, my money goes to other shops who for whatever reason do not have issues supplying me with shoes I love. It seems my perspective is not so unique on this forum.
post #20373 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post

Perhaps you should re-read my post before calling me out as a fool. My perspective stands as fact. I did not post about it at the time online and my response was rather matter-of-fact. I just took my business elsewhere where getting someone to respond to a simple question like "what do you have in size 9.5e" could be answered directly. If you would like to characterize me as a fool for doing so, perhaps you ought to examine your own intentions. Notice I have said nothing about Tom - I didn't speak to him when I called LS in LA. All you say may be true of Tom's intentions but that really has nothing to do with my business interactions with the LS shop.
Also, let's not lump Steven from Leffot into this - as I mentioned in my post, he did not have anything in my size but was perfectly cordial and responsive over the phone to my inquiries. Enough that I felt comfortable buying a few other items from him. His process and those of other shops seem a bit more democratic or straight forward with regards to shoes and sizes than what I experienced with LS in LA.
Let me make this crystal clear for you - I wish LS the best and I would be happy to buy a shoe from them. They have wonderful and unique makeups. But in the meanwhile, while I wait around, my money goes to other shops who for whatever reason do not have issues supplying me with shoes I love. It seems my perspective is not so unique on this forum.

Right. The record stands as written--let others decide.
post #20374 of 122416
Well said, Kippy. Your experience has been similar to mine with LS and although I have purchased a couple of Aldens from LS, my experience with them has always been as if they were doing me a favor by selling me $700 shoes. That's why I HAVE voted with my wallet and prefer to deal with Mike at Epaulet and Steven at Leffot for my Alden needs. Neither of those shops are 'web' stores, but they still seem happy to serve customers outside a limited 'local' reach with superior customer service.
post #20375 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post

Well said, Kippy. Your experience has been similar to mine with LS and although I have purchased a couple of Aldens from LS, my experience with them has always been as if they were doing me a favor by selling me $700 shoes. That's why I HAVE voted with my wallet and prefer to deal with Mike at Epaulet and Steven at Leffot for my Alden needs. Neither of those shops are 'web' stores, but they still seem happy to serve customers outside a limited 'local' reach with superior customer service.

i agree with this, mike and steve will help you if they can leathersoul at times do seem like they are doing you a big favor. j.crew was doing people favors before with the 25-30% off thing on aldens smile.gif.
post #20376 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post

... I love the idea of wearing them for the longhaul as well and very happy to support an American product despite the fact that the leather is sourced from another American company importing the raw material from overseas.

If you are referring to the Cordovan that Alden purchases from Horween, the raw hides come from Canada. Only the calf comes from overseas (france etc.)
post #20377 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

I think this is a really unfair post to Tom and Leather Soul. I know both Tom and Steven, I think they both try very hard to run good shops providing product to a very quirky crowd. I cannot imaginve how frustrating some days must be for them. Look, both are at the mercy of Alden which can be (my comments not Steven's or Tom's) be more than a little deaf at times. I became so frustrated this year with the company (not going to get into it) that I canceled an order with Tom. He was a perfect gentlemen and was very understanding. Tom's site is primarily a pictorial blog--for some reason this is extremely difficult for people on this site to comprehend. He does not take orders online and he does not encourage people who are unfamiliar with the products or their sizing to order from his company over the phone. Tom sells a products which is extremely personal. My shoe size ranges from 8E (UK) to 9.5E U.S. Most of the products are handmade and all have substantially less value after the first wear. The depreciation is worse than a Bentley after the first drive. I believe Tom really wants, and behaves as if he wants, every possible customer. That said, if you cannot understand why he has certainly policies and acts in certain ways then you are either a fool or have no appreciation for the fact that he is not running a charity.

that's the only part I disagree with. the deprecation of Aldens - particularly in any sought after/rare model - is stunningly low in the second hand market. even after 1 wear they can be worth 90% of retail, and after a few wears 80%. Allen Edmonds aren't even worth that % of their retail price new.

if you are talking about his other brands, like Lobbs/EG, you might be right, I don't know
post #20378 of 122416
There has been a lot of Leather Soul basing lately. Even though i'm not a coke snortin', bespoke rockin', oil tycoon I have had nothing but positive things to say about my transactions with Tom and the LS crew. I know the make-ups are rare and few and far between, but that (to me) is the joy in 'collecting' Aldens. Searching and finding that holy grail shoe. if they were easy to come by they wouldn't be as desirable... imo.
post #20379 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post

Well said, Kippy. Your experience has been similar to mine with LS and although I have purchased a couple of Aldens from LS, my experience with them has always been as if they were doing me a favor by selling me $700 shoes. That's why I HAVE voted with my wallet and prefer to deal with Mike at Epaulet and Steven at Leffot for my Alden needs. Neither of those shops are 'web' stores, but they still seem happy to serve customers outside a limited 'local' reach with superior customer service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswound View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post

Well said, Kippy. Your experience has been similar to mine with LS and although I have purchased a couple of Aldens from LS, my experience with them has always been as if they were doing me a favor by selling me $700 shoes. That's why I HAVE voted with my wallet and prefer to deal with Mike at Epaulet and Steven at Leffot for my Alden needs. Neither of those shops are 'web' stores, but they still seem happy to serve customers outside a limited 'local' reach with superior customer service.

i agree with this, mike and steve will help you if they can leathersoul at times do seem like they are doing you a big favor. j.crew was doing people favors before with the 25-30% off thing on aldens smile.gif.

My vote and my wallet agree with these post.
post #20380 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post

There has been a lot of Leather Soul basing lately. Even though i'm not a coke snortin', bespoke rockin', oil tycoon I have had nothing but positive things to say about my transactions with Tom and the LS crew. I know the make-ups are rare and few and far between, but that (to me) is the joy in 'collecting' Aldens. Searching and finding that holy grail shoe. if they were easy to come by they wouldn't be as desirable... imo.

I don't know Tom so I can't and won't speak about him personally. I can only speak about their business model. The way they do business is their choice and I'm fine with that but don't expect me to try to buy from them. I choose to use other stores that sell Alden's. If LS is good for others then that's great. They do have some nice make-ups.
post #20381 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post

There has been a lot of Leather Soul basing lately. Even though i'm not a coke snortin', bespoke rockin', oil tycoon I have had nothing but positive things to say about my transactions with Tom and the LS crew. I know the make-ups are rare and few and far between, but that (to me) is the joy in 'collecting' Aldens. Searching and finding that holy grail shoe. if they were easy to come by they wouldn't be as desirable... imo.

I don't know Tom, but I'm pretty sure he knows how to run his business. It seems that they reserve the good stuff for their local customers and repeat clientele. Keeps them coming back for more. It's the same across many luxury stores. Rolex and Panerai dealers save their good stuff for their repeat customers. The exclusivity of the item only increases its desirability.
post #20382 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmull View Post

467
467
Picked these LS's up from a SuFu-er. So nice. The laces were his idea.

THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL! This is coming from a guy who hates black shoes. I would definitely hop on a pre-order of these and wait the 12-18 months if need be.
post #20383 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by applky View Post

^ As do I.


Me too.
post #20384 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

I think this is a really unfair post to Tom and Leather Soul. I know both Tom and Steven, I think they both try very hard to run good shops providing product to a very quirky crowd. I cannot imaginve how frustrating some days must be for them. Look, both are at the mercy of Alden which can be (my comments not Steven's or Tom's) be more than a little deaf at times. I became so frustrated this year with the company (not going to get into it) that I canceled an order with Tom. He was a perfect gentlemen and was very understanding. Tom's site is primarily a pictorial blog--for some reason this is extremely difficult for people on this site to comprehend. He does not take orders online and he does not encourage people who are unfamiliar with the products or their sizing to order from his company over the phone. Tom sells a products which is extremely personal. My shoe size ranges from 8E (UK) to 9.5E U.S. Most of the products are handmade and all have substantially less value after the first wear. The depreciation is worse than a Bentley after the first drive. I believe Tom really wants, and behaves as if he wants, every possible customer. That said, if you cannot understand why he has certainly policies and acts in certain ways then you are either a fool or have no appreciation for the fact that he is not running a charity.

Perhaps you should re-read my post before calling me out as a fool. My perspective stands as fact. I did not post about it at the time online and my response was rather matter-of-fact. I just took my business elsewhere where getting someone to respond to a simple question like "what do you have in size 9.5e" could be answered directly. If you would like to characterize me as a fool for doing so, perhaps you ought to examine your own intentions. Notice I have said nothing about Tom - I didn't speak to him when I called LS in LA. All you say may be true of Tom's intentions but that really has nothing to do with my business interactions with the LS shop.

Also, let's not lump Steven from Leffot into this - as I mentioned in my post, he did not have anything in my size but was perfectly cordial and responsive over the phone to my inquiries. Enough that I felt comfortable buying a few other items from him. His process and those of other shops seem a bit more democratic or straight forward with regards to shoes and sizes than what I experienced with LS in LA.

Let me make this crystal clear for you - I wish LS the best and I would be happy to buy a shoe from them. They have wonderful and unique makeups. But in the meanwhile, while I wait around, my money goes to other shops who for whatever reason do not have issues supplying me with shoes I love. It seems my perspective is not so unique on this forum.

I seem to recall Tom specifically saying that they hate this question and won't answer it over the phone.
For some one who wishes them well you sure seem butthurt and ranty about this.
post #20385 of 122416
When/how will they answer that question then?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.