Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 1:33 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: Yesterday
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1347post #20191 of 12241612/26/11 at 10:48am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #20192 of 12241612/26/11 at 10:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Alcibiades
I honestly think the regular #8 (dark sole) is more versatile, easily worn with jeans, suits, blazers/pants, etc. The antique sole on such a dark shoe makes it more casual. Antique soles work well on cigar, but that's as dark as I would take it... But I'm likely the minority opinion on that based on what i've seen in the thread
I agree. The antique edging on that shoe just looks a bit odd to me on a color 8 LWB.
Edited by mediahound - 12/26/11 at 11:08ampost #20193 of 12241612/26/11 at 10:52amQuote:Originally Posted by AAF-8AF
Long time lurker checking in.
Yesterday I was in the Alden DC store and picked up a new shoe care product to try, called Alden Leather Defender. It's made for shell cordovan and calfskin. One of the supposed benefits is that it can help reduce or prevent the dreaded water spotting on shell.
I tried it out last night on a pair of whiskey shell chukkas that were in need of some attention anyway. I was pretty happy with the results. The creases in the chukkas were dry and rough and somewhat dirty, and the treatment did clean them up a lot and make them smoother. Overall, the treatment added a nice shine to the shoes that was very slippery and glossy, but by this morning they were a bit less so but still noticeable. And the leather did feel a bit more supple. With little effort they looked like I'd spent an hour giving them the Mac Treatment. I can't say for sure that there was any darkening since these were rather darkened already a bit from age, but I don't think so.
Since I really don't know much at all about this product and could not find anything from web and forum searching, I sent an e-mail to Horween to see if they have any thoughts on it. I haven't used any of the other common shell products, like Venetian, so I have no comparison to offer.
The 4 oz bottle is a misting sprayer. Here's what it says on the bottle:
"Use Alden Leather Defender to clean and protect calfskin and genuine shell cordovan Alden shoes. Not for use on Suede or Nubuck.
"Directions: Apply Alden Leather Defender to a soft cloth and wipe shoes thoroughly. Let dry. Turn cloth and buff gently. For best results allow leather to dry completely before wearing shoes.
"Safety: Alden Leather Defender is water-based and environmentally benign. Do not take internally. If accidentally ingested, please call physician immediately.
"Made in USA."
Sorry if this sounds like a shill, but I just wanted to pass this along to anyone who might be interested. Besides, this whole thread is like a shill anyway
Oh, and there's a new staff member at Alden DC. She seems to know shoes pretty well and was fun to talk with.
How much do they charge for this?post #20194 of 12241612/26/11 at 11:11ampost #20195 of 12241612/26/11 at 11:11amQuote:
I felt that way last year when I first journeyed down the path of alden. All it took was a gently worn pair of Ravello purchased here in the classifieds and the worm turned... Still have more non-cord Aldens...post #20196 of 12241612/26/11 at 11:23amQuote:
That is why I will never buy a pair of cordovan's. I know I will become addicted, then soon after broke. How about my natural tanker boots that have seen a number of hard miles in the woods? Or my suede chukkas that have done the same. Or that I just ordered snuff suede wingtips from Alden Madison. Never mind the pebble grained oxfords I picked up from Shoe Mart with commando soles - talk about rugged! Really - I do feel left out...post #20197 of 12241612/26/11 at 11:24amQuote:
+1. The antique looks great on Cigar since the edge trim color palette seems to match the Cigar color nicely. When paired with the the #8 burgundy, having a lighter edgetrim makes the shoe look unbalanced. The color of the welt/edge trim should work with (not against) the upper. Having said all this, different strokes for different folks.post #20198 of 12241612/26/11 at 11:26amQuote:
That's what shell cordovan looks like when you don't brush it enough. They could also have too much polish.
Take a damp cloth and rub the creases. Then rub them dry. Do that 10 times and see if it improves.
Next time don't buy from Ebay.post #20199 of 12241612/26/11 at 11:33amQuote:
I love the way some of the suede and nubuck Alden shoes look. I even purchased a pair of the Context Reverse-Chamois black boots and love them. But I find it difficult to fork out the kind of money that Alden charges for their suede models when I could be buying Cordovan for a wee bit more. If I am going to climb up the mountain, might as well go to the top rather than stop off 2/3's of the way there.post #20200 of 12241612/26/11 at 11:33amQuote:
The shells are the same. Alden just paints a purple dye on the shoe after it's constructed. After some wear, sun, and brushing, the dye gets rubbed off.post #20201 of 12241612/26/11 at 12:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by seer
That is why I will never buy a pair of cordovan's. I know I will become addicted, then soon after broke. How about my natural tanker boots that have seen a number of hard miles in the woods? Or my suede chukkas that have done the same. Or that I just ordered snuff suede wingtips from Alden Madison. Never mind the pebble grained oxfords I picked up from Shoe Mart with commando soles - talk about rugged! Really - I do feel left out...
What are the details on the snuff wingtips?post #20202 of 12241612/26/11 at 12:27pmpost #20203 of 12241612/26/11 at 1:30pmpost #20204 of 12241612/26/11 at 2:35pmpost #20205 of 12241612/26/11 at 3:53pmQuote:
Very cool NAMOR. Grant is definitely my favorite Alden last now (followed by Aberdeen). Plaza has a hint of squarishness that gives me a bit of pause.
I must make these my own
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Australian Members 41 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 51 seconds ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 2 minutes ago
- › does everyone here have a full head of hair? any bald people? 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › New in Box - TCG / Thorocraft Stanton Leather High Top - Size 11 -... 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...