Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1294post #19396 of 12241612/11/11 at 5:31am^ love the design on these shoes however I find that Plaza creases a lot in the toe area. It seems that the Plaza last is a high volume last (generous toe box height) and thus creates more pronounced creasing than say the Grant lastpost #19397 of 12241612/11/11 at 6:01ampost #19398 of 12241612/11/11 at 6:07ampost #19399 of 12241612/11/11 at 6:22ampost #19400 of 12241612/11/11 at 6:34ampost #19401 of 12241612/11/11 at 6:40amQuote:Originally Posted by monologuist
Love these...how are the waterloc soles with these? Do they feel much different than regular double leathers on a shell Longwing? I like the idea of a Color 8 LWB that can be worn on wet ground but still avoid looking too casual with a commando or crepe sole.
Also is the edge trim a pretty noticeable contrast with the Color 8? In pics of similar makeups, the antique stain jumps out a bit, but for some reason these appear a bit darker, contrast less stark. I have Cigar LWs with similar shaded edges so trying to decide if these cross over a bit too much with them.Quote:
These soles are very comfortable. The antique edge is fairly light. The picture may not show it great but the contrast gives them such an elegant and sleek look.post #19402 of 12241612/11/11 at 6:43amQuote:Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I'm sure a $50-$60 price increase isn't going to make Alden execs richer, in fact, based on what I see in this thread alone, its probably because more and more people are buying, and then returning their Aldens for "fixing". I think the price increase is directly related to QC, but not in the ways that you may think. I think that they are getting hit hard by having their workers fix their shoes, and in order to make some of that money back, they're charging a bit more. And I'm sure very few here are going to "stop buying Aldens" because of it. These increases are planned meticulously, just enough so that they'll keep the majority of their customers without putting them off.
Not trying to argue with you, but wouldn't it make more sense to fix your QC issues so that shoes stop going out the door with issues rather than increasing prices to account for the labor costs incurred by fixing defects? Or are you meaning to say that people are sending their shoes back for gratuitous issues that don't actually need fixing?
Personally I take most of the defects as part of the charm of a handmade product, although the silver marker on the toe of my 403s would probably have been unacceptable if it was visible from more than a couple inches away.post #19403 of 12241612/11/11 at 6:54ampost #19404 of 12241612/11/11 at 6:58amQuote:
Thanks. I will. As we all here at SF are well aware.... "If you’ve ever noticed women checking out your shoes before their eyes rise to scan the rest of your look, then you already know this.
The truth is that shoes make the man."post #19405 of 12241612/11/11 at 7:13ampost #19406 of 12241612/11/11 at 7:16ampost #19407 of 12241612/11/11 at 7:54amIC: I am thinking of selling my BNWB Natural Chromexcel Indy Boots w/commando sole from Leffot in 10.5 D. My first forray into the trubalance last, and I'm not sure how i feel about the fit. Come with box, shoe bags, etc.
For retail price, I'll cover shipping in CONUS and throw in a can of the Montana pitch blend dressing I also purchased at Leffot.post #19408 of 12241612/11/11 at 8:22amMy thoughts on the price increase: We can all decide for ourselves whether their shoes are "worth it" to us at higher cost, factoring in all considerations including workmanship and customer service. For me, it will certainly stretch their shoes beyond what I am comfortable spending on a regular basis. However, on balance I prefer to see them respond to this high demand by raising prices than by expanding production. I have said in the past that I am afraid they will mistakenly overextend themselves in response to what may be a very temporary resurgence in popularity. If they meet the new supply/demand equilibrium by raising prices, they can easily drop prices in the future should demand decline. If instead they kept prices constant and built a new factory on borrowed money, well that is not so easy to undo in the future. I'd rather they stay in business out of my price range than see them lever up, get in financial trouble, and end up stamping the Alden name onto crappy shoes at DSW in 10 years (a la Florsheim).
Just my $0.02.post #19409 of 12241612/11/11 at 8:26amQuote:
Never tried the plaza or grant myself, but I thought the narrower shape of the plaza (relative to the barrie or trubalance) would fit more snug and cause less creasing.
If they made those ravello captoes in boot form, I'd shart in my pants to get a pair.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Allen Edmonds MacNeil Burgundy Shell Cordovan US8.5E 1 minute ago
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 3 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 10 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 10 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 14 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 29 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 32 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...