Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1288post #19306 of 12241612/10/11 at 12:42ampost #19307 of 12241612/10/11 at 12:42am
Steven is a very dangerous man. http://leffot.com/2011/12/10/alden-x-leffot-color-8-tanker-re-issue/ I just sent off an email order for a pair of these. Right now the only 2 shoes I'm wearing are the whiskey tankers I picked up from him a few weeks back and a pair of cigar indy's I picked up used. The commando sole is heaven sent for Canadian winters. I actually just put my #8 indy boots in there bags today. It just seems like such a pain in the butt to have to use my overshoes with the leather sole. I could understand if I was working inside for most of the day, the leather sole is great, but for my life at the moment, it just doesn't make sense.
I'm excited to have a third pair of boots to add into my regular rotation!post #19308 of 12241612/10/11 at 12:58ampost #19309 of 12241612/10/11 at 1:38ampost #19310 of 12241612/10/11 at 2:36ampost #19311 of 12241612/10/11 at 6:20ampost #19312 of 12241612/10/11 at 6:37am$100? Isn't that what Netflix raised it's monthly subscription by earlier in the year? Or do I misremember?
If it is in fact $100 plus, it sounds like a response to demand, which is clearly strong for Alden. I don't believe you ever saw these shoes at J Crew two or three years ago, though I can't say I ever spent much time checking J Crew's shoe selection. And players like Leffot, Epaulet, Unionmade, etc. with all of their great custom shoes that create such an aura around the brand seem to have come into being in 2008 or later. Leather Soul looks like it goes back to 2005, but still. And as an aside, compliments to the post 2008 entries for building businesses and creating jobs while the economy has been in the tank. Well done, sirs. But back to my point, with at least one mass marketer jumping on board and these specialist driving the brand, must be pleasant days for the boys in accounting at Alden. Let the black in flow on like a river, one would imagine.
And then I suppose even at $100 more the right Alden shoe will be worth it. It does seem to make your stock shoe a little dear, though, assuming they really do slap $100 on a #8 Barrie or such. All we can hope for is that such a price increase tides Alden over for a while. In a few years, we'll hardly even notice. Or maybe we'll all own practically every shoe and boot they make, as seems to our guiding light, Mac.post #19313 of 12241612/10/11 at 7:43amQuote:Originally Posted by Burton
This is why SF can be such a bore. If you actually look at shell you will see all kinds of imperfections. It is impossible to get shell that has the same characteristics as calf. Most shell has little pock marks where hairs have been removed--most of the people here probably don't even know that. This dimple in the shoe was part of the character of the shell. If you don't like it, that's fine, send it back, but it isn't a sign of "shoddy selection of materials." That will undoubtedly go down as a classic igent statement. In many ways I am not a big supporter of Alden, I think they don't pay enough attention to true quality control issues--bad stitching, etc. But when you buy a material that comes with actual scar marks on it, you are kidding yourself if you believe that a small dimple is a case of poor quality control. It is the same as purchasing a '60s Jaguar and complaining that it is difficult to start in the rain.
Thank you for insinuating that I haven't "actually looked at shell." I own 12 pairs of shell shoes, mostly from Alden but also a few from C&J. That doesn't make me a big-timer by SF standards, nor do I aspire to be. But I have seen, held, worn and cared for my fair share of them. And of course I see plenty of imperfections in my shoes. They are all of the charming sort - natural grain from the hide, inconsistencies of color, marks from wear, etc. However there is not a single dimple on any of my shoes that I did not put there myself through use. Nor have I ever seen one on photos posted here, or on display at brick and mortar stores including Alden Madison, Leffot, Brooks Brothers and Allen Edmonds. It's just not as common as you seem to imply.
And you're missing my point: even if the hide came with that dimple, that portion of the hide could easily have been used for something less visible than the vamp. It *is* shoddy (or cheap, or lazy) selection of materials to use it for that purpose. Instead of going onto a vamp, that piece could have been cut and used for tongues or other miscellaneous smaller scraps of shell that make their way onto these shoes. Or if they were being creative the dimple could have been hidden under a stitch, at the expense of possibly having to waste a square inch or two of material (horror of horrors).
Your statement regarding the Jaguar is off base. It is more like claiming that just because a 60's Jag is mechanically unreliable I should happily pay full price for one with a major dent on the hood "since it's supposed to be imperfect." Just silly reasoning.
But by all means, if you like the shoe this way, show the current owner a bid. I'm sure for a small premium over retail he'd be happy to make it yours.post #19314 of 12241612/10/11 at 7:53amI recently purchased my first pair of Aldens, the chamois wingtips from Unionmade. There is a bit of a gash in the right heel. Is this just a typical imperfection that was alluded to last page, or is it something that I should send back? If that latter, do I contact Unionmade or go straight to Alden? Thanks!post #19315 of 12241612/10/11 at 8:10am
$100+ price increase seems totally ridiculous to me, especially for non-shell (which is already close to $500), given the quality control issues that Alden seems to have lately. And now they act like total dicks about changing soles, and recrafting takes over 10 weeks! Just doesn't seem worth it for that kind of service. I'm going to try to grab another pair before the increase, but that price I would maybe buy a pair or two a year if it was the perfect make-up that I couldn't live without. But such an increase without better service doesn't seem worth it IMO. Just my two cents...post #19316 of 12241612/10/11 at 8:11amQuote:Originally Posted by Tatum Rag
I recently purchased my first pair of Aldens, the chamois wingtips from Unionmade. There is a bit of a gash in the right heel. Is this just a typical imperfection that was alluded to last page, or is it something that I should send back? If that latter, do I contact Unionmade or go straight to Alden? Thanks!
That scratch is nothing. Just wear them and enjoy!post #19317 of 12241612/10/11 at 8:17ampost #19319 of 12241612/10/11 at 8:27ampost #19320 of 12241612/10/11 at 8:47am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 16 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 3 minutes ago
- › NWT Marc Jacobs Belted Grey Glen Plaid Wool Overcoat sz IT48 M/L 5 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 7 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 7 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 8 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...