Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 10:52 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1284post #19246 of 12241612/8/11 at 8:10pmpost #19247 of 12241612/8/11 at 8:44pm
The Trunk show starts tomorrow, when I was there at about 3pm they had one suede brogue in, but were waiting on 3 pairs of boots that didn't make the shipment, Bryan was freaking out to say the least. The VP of Alden was en route, I wasn't able to meet him, but I hope for LSBH's sake all the shoes come in by tomorrow.post #19248 of 12241612/8/11 at 9:43pmYou're a lucky man, Moo (Loden Unionmade Indy's). I saw those in person last weekend and they are easily the nicest Indy's I've ever come across. They were out of my size, so I couldn't buy. Enjoy.post #19249 of 12241612/8/11 at 10:44pmpost #19250 of 12241612/8/11 at 11:20pmpost #19251 of 12241612/8/11 at 11:28pmQuote:
I wear 8D in the Trubalance and 8.5D in the Barrie.post #19252 of 12241612/9/11 at 5:47amQuote:
Agreed. The majority of people wear the same size in the Trubalance as in the Barrie.post #19253 of 12241612/9/11 at 6:18am
Never did get a chance to say "Thanks" for this simple yet effective advice.
My wife though I was nuts when we went into the local Lowe's and I bought a few pads.
Using these with Mac's Method make buffing shell a breeze.
JDpost #19254 of 12241612/9/11 at 6:26amthanks man.. cause i know some people wear the same size on the barrie last and some upsize... so just checking with the rest... im planning to get the #8 lws...
im wearing my alden indy with my uniqlo socks... think it will fit alright for the 7.5d for the barrie then..
thanks guyspost #19255 of 12241612/9/11 at 7:51amQuote:Originally Posted by Burton
I would not send those back-- that is not a manufacturing defect. Shell is an imperfect material and that is, for most of us, part of the charm. Probably happened while they were taking the hair off the horse's ass--literally. It is part of what makes "shell" a uniqu material.
This video (despite the fact that it shoes AE and not Alden) should be continually reposted in this thread.
If you don't want to watch the whole thing skip to around 4:20 and you can see where this likely happened.
I disagree. Even if it is a natural imperfection of the shell, that imperfect portion should not have been placed front and center on the vamp - I have never seen such a thing on any shell shoe I have purchased, tried on or seen on display. That just reflects shoddy selection of materials, or possibly a post-manufacturing incident. You can easily get another pair of color 8 LWB's with no wait, so I would send them back. There is no reason to accept such a glaring flaw at the price you paid.post #19256 of 12241612/9/11 at 8:34ampost #19257 of 12241612/9/11 at 8:41amQuote:
Hmmm... Alden's color 8 shoes tend to have the most issues (the sitching on my longwings is already coming out) given its one of their highest volumes. I would say send it back, there always seems to be #8 longings readily available in your size. If it were something like a ravello or cigar longwing, I would maybe say live with itpost #19258 of 12241612/9/11 at 8:47ampost #19259 of 12241612/9/11 at 8:56amQuote:
I'm having second thoughts about my #8 chukkas. I put them on this morning and either the way the style fits or inconsistency in sizing, but I feel like it was far too big and just doesn't feel right! Should I try to lace them a little tighter? Thicker socks? Or just unload them (brand new, only worn on carpet, not creased - "break-in procedure" only) and get a cigar dress shoe instead?post #19260 of 12241612/9/11 at 8:57amI hope Tom doesn't mind a potentially premature release on these, but I believe these will be available in store today. I pre-ordered them in my (impossible to get otherwise narrow) size around 18 months ago.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Suitsupply Limonta Rain Coat - Small 39 seconds ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 2 minutes ago
- › Alden Indy 404 boots - Oiled Kudu - 9D - Vibram lug sole 4 minutes ago
- › patrickBOOTH's Third-of-Life Crisis and (Mostly) Self-Imposed... 6 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 7 minutes ago
- › Academia, Democrats, and Thoughtcrime 8 minutes ago
- › FS: Edward Green Dover - UK8.5 9 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 11 minutes ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 16 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway