or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 1283  

post #19231 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunks206 View Post

Ravello Chukkas today.
18b8dce6.jpg

Those look awesome. Good choice of jeans with them as well. I love how Chukkas are so versatile.
post #19232 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterInjax View Post

Advan inspired me to wear my #8 cap toes today
a6934dac-dbda-bcef.jpg

What pants are these? Exemplary combo.
post #19233 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post

Two statements of fact; however, if you are implying the latter because of the former, I think you are mistaken.
Darker dyes make hide coloration less noticeable. A uniform hide is desirable for producing natural and lighter shades of shell.
It's been acknowledged that the lighter shell colours (whiskey, ravello, cigar) from Alden as of late have been shades darker than what they were producing several years ago. Speculation is that they are having difficulty sourcing quality hides to produce the lighter shades and are compensating by using darker dyes.

They *seem* darker. Once they're in sunlight, they are most definitely just like you've come to expect the cigar color. Look at some Pitt Boots I had (sold them because I just don't love the Barrie).
post #19234 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by advan031 View Post

469
Alden x Leffot Day Tripper in Ravello

good looking boots, enjoy wearing
post #19235 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunks206 View Post

Ravello Chukkas today.
18b8dce6.jpg

i like your chukkas
post #19236 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterInjax View Post

Advan inspired me to wear my #8 cap toes today
a6934dac-dbda-bcef.jpg

What pants are these? Exemplary combo.

Brown flannel from Epaulet, no longer available.
post #19237 of 122416
So I just received my #8 Longwings today and they're great but one thing. Would you guys send these back? Check out the right shoe.

CaRmX.jpg
MLdwA.jpg
xuvTb.jpg

I can stand the eyelet dye issue on the tongue, but I don't know about this dimple.
post #19238 of 122416
So guys should i get a 7.5d or 8d for the alden longwings #8?

if im a us 8d for clarks db... us 8 for markmcnairy... us 7.5 for alden indy 405... and uk 7 for trickers malton
post #19239 of 122416
^ I would send those back. That would drive me insane. You could build it up with wax, but that is a no-no for cordovan.
post #19240 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renalan View Post

So I just received my #8 Longwings today and they're great but one thing. Would you guys send these back? Check out the right shoe.
CaRmX.jpg
MLdwA.jpg
xuvTb.jpg
I can stand the eyelet dye issue on the tongue, but I don't know about this dimple.

i would send back!
post #19241 of 122416
^ Looks like a dent from one of the brass ends of the dust bag strings. Unfortunate mark? Definitely. Would I return them? Personally, no. In my experience, there is no such thing as a new pair of Aldens that on close and repeated inspection you will find absolutely NOTHING wrong. A scratch, a ding, a fleck of gold paint from the insole insignia, some edge dressing - almost every pair has some small imperfection.

* Edit: I stand corrected. When it comes to Alden shoes, I think all can agree that Uncle Mac knows best. If Mac says send 'em back, send 'em back.
post #19242 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post

Two statements of fact; however, if you are implying the latter because of the former, I think you are mistaken.
Darker dyes make hide coloration less noticeable. A uniform hide is desirable for producing natural and lighter shades of shell.
It's been acknowledged that the lighter shell colours (whiskey, ravello, cigar) from Alden as of late have been shades darker than what they were producing several years ago. Speculation is that they are having difficulty sourcing quality hides to produce the lighter shades and are compensating by using darker dyes.

my new cigar LWs look almost black in lower light. my old PTBs looked much lighter
post #19243 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPol View Post

Anyone have real-world photos of the Unionmade Green Loden Indys?

34i4qxf.jpg

v8ncxc.jpg

2lji004.jpg

11gnlhk.jpg
post #19244 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

i would send back!

I would not send those back-- that is not a manufacturing defect. Shell is an imperfect material and that is, for most of us, part of the charm. Probably happened while they were taking the hair off the horse's ass--literally. It is part of what makes "shell" a uniqu material.

This video (despite the fact that it shoes AE and not Alden) should be continually reposted in this thread.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing skip to around 4:20 and you can see where this likely happened.

http://vimeo.com/4814754
Edited by Burton - 12/8/11 at 8:39pm
post #19245 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFNY5 View Post

Has anybody been to Leather Soul today for the trunk show? Wondering what surprises they may have had.

+1. Anyone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.