Yeah not my first rodeo with TSA! I'll have to tell you that story next time I see you.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 7:16 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 8092post #121367 of 12241612/14/15 at 7:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by NAMOR
A stranger sitting next to me this morning at starbucks covertly snagged a pic of my alden boots. I dont see any post here so here they are in their parking lot glory
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
your wt boots are worthy of a picture. enjoy wearingpost #121368 of 12241612/14/15 at 7:28pmpost #121369 of 12241612/14/15 at 7:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by lagsun
It's been a while since I've purchased new Aldens. My pre-order Leffot Greenwich boot in reverse chamois finally arrived today. Not sure if I ever knew they were all eyelets so need to start getting use to no speedhooks!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
wear only in good healthpost #121370 of 12241612/14/15 at 7:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by MoosicPa
TSA is such a joke. They're worried about travelers taking their shoes off, while in a GSA test over the Summer they had an 80% fail rate when they sent test through the screening points with explosives. 80% fail rate. Think about that next time they want you to take your shoes off, the guy behind you may have C4 in his bag... but they won't find it! Of course, they probably missed the explosives because they were too busy rummaging through your luggage looking for electronics they could swipe.
Sorry for the rant, just the uselessness of the TSA makes me mad. Good tax money down the drain.
Couldn't agree more. That said, I don't look to antagonize, or be perceived as antagonizing, these guys. They've got enough trouble doing their jobs without being distracted by guys with nice shoes predicting what will set off the metal detectors.post #121371 of 12241612/14/15 at 7:33pmpost #121372 of 12241612/14/15 at 7:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by Rstldr
Color 8 Leathersoul wingtip
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
looking well in your wtpost #121373 of 12241612/14/15 at 7:49pmpost #121374 of 12241612/14/15 at 8:02pmpost #121375 of 12241612/14/15 at 8:04pmQuote:
Right. Let's keep in mind the guy with the shoes didn't start the issue. He's taking his shoes off because he knows he will have to. This makes everyone's day smoother. He's not trying to be elitist, or say anything about the quality of his shoes. The TSA "agent" is blowing up because he's spotted what he thinks is another out of touch traveler that must be put in line. Let's assume it's the not the first day on the job for the aforementioned "agent". Can we then also assume he hasn't seen at least one other Pre-check person's shoes trip the metal detector before? Why is he then basically antagonizing himself? Because he sucks at his job.post #121376 of 12241612/14/15 at 8:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by AML225
Thank you for the tip! I'll do some investigating!
I have a couple random questions:
- On the Leffot cap toe boots I originally posted, the cap has the row of circular cutouts, what is this called? Another shoe styling term I'm not sure of is the zig-zag cut edges such as on Alden's LWBs, what is that called?
- My 403 indy boots are in need of a resoling (the black heal has worn through to show the nail heads), however there are several places where the sole is detaching from the leather uppers, is this also fixed in the resoling process? These boots have been worn extremely hard for 4-5 years. What's the correct way to go about getting these resoled/repaired from Alden?
- My 403s have been extremely versatile, through regular use and cleaning they have become almost like a color #8 chromexcel. The color and shine of them made it very easy for me to dress them up (with some nice chinos and a button down) or wear them casually. In the absence of natty chromexcel cap toe boots I'm thinking about picking up the natural chromexcel indy boots. Will these be as versatile?
1. Another person answered already
2. Should be, but we'd probably need pics. You can usually just get a new heel cap put on if that's the only part worn down, but it sounds like you need a full resole. If you want it done by Alden then you can go here - http://www.aldenshoe.com/DrawOnePage.aspx?PageID=12 and request information. Some folks on the forum can probably provide other reputable cobblers that can do it as well if you wanted to go that route.
3. Yeah, I think natty CXL Indy's would work with chino's and a button down (to me that's a casual look, so the casual boots work fine). Another option would be a plain toe like this one - https://aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=176&ParentID=4&PageID=&Action=post #121377 of 12241612/14/15 at 8:53pmpost #121378 of 12241612/14/15 at 9:32pmNo need at all to take off your Aldens if you have TSA Pre. Just keep them on, point at the other scanner (not the metal detector) and go through when told. I fly weekly and haven't taken off my Aldens in at least a year...maybe two.post #121379 of 12241612/14/15 at 10:44pmpost #121380 of 12241612/14/15 at 10:46pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 24 seconds ago
- › Dress in Academia 57 seconds ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 1 minute ago
- › Exquisite Trimmings - Based in London, UK - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Carlos Santos Shoes - Feedback & Appreciation 8 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 9 minutes ago
- › Take all of the guns. All of them. 10 minutes ago
- › H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Ideas for Sartoria Formosa Spring/Summer 2017 - Cast your Vote! 13 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 13 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...