or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7963  

post #119431 of 122416


Alpine Grain x Leffot for a rainy day.
post #119432 of 122416

King gunboats on Veterans day:

INUaMtj.jpg

post #119433 of 122416

4060s for me today.

post #119434 of 122416
Have the Leffot #8 Tankers arrive? Just want to confirm because I keep thinking I've missed their email. The reverse tobacco tankers are at Leffot and they were offered at the same time. But I know lead times will vary per boot.
post #119435 of 122416

ALLFORYOU is working today on Alden's at Need Supply. 11% off.

post #119436 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveketchup View Post

Have the Leffot #8 Tankers arrive? Just want to confirm because I keep thinking I've missed their email. The reverse tobacco tankers are at Leffot and they were offered at the same time. But I know lead times will vary per boot.

They haven't. Hoping they arrive before the end of the year.
post #119437 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeka View Post

Just got Ravello Captoe Boots from SF member, great one!
Thanks @Shawnc

DF7C9476-4AD4-406B-902F-311E255B7C2C_zpslgsucnyv.jpg
 
These are beautiful!! Really, really nice. Enjoy!
post #119438 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post

you need to provide info about how and where you plan to wear these boots.  Try to be specific i.e. formal?  casual? work? play?  etc.  i believe once you provide this info, people will be happy to give you some direction.

As I had stated, these will be my lone pair, so they need to be versatile enough to wear with jeans, chinos, slacks. I am leaning toward a color 8 NST, but have just started to look.
post #119439 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelover View Post


As I had stated, these will be my lone pair, so they need to be versatile enough to wear with jeans, chinos, slacks. I am leaning toward a color 8 NST, but have just started to look.

 

Well, Color 8 is definitely where you want to be, both for availability reasons but also because it's probably the most versatile shell color Alden offers. Plus, you get a much wider variety of styles.

 

In terms of which style specifically, I would suggest looking for something in between the full wingtip boot and a simple cap toe boot. In that sense, the NST/tanker or PCT boots are good options. Either will still be dressy enough to wear with some slacks but should still casual enough for nice denim. The NST/tanker is also one of the coolest Alden models and is one of the most time-consuming to make, and it's offered in many different makeups, whereas the PCT boot is only offered by two vendors (J.Crew and TheShoeMart), to my knowledge, so it's more limited in design options.

 

Here are the different vendors/makeups for the #8 NST/tanker boot:

Leffot - #8, Barrie, antique edge, flat welt, speedhooks, commando sole (they usually do a preorder in the late spring)

Alden of Madison - #8, Barrie, antique edge, reverse welt, speedhooks, commando sole (call them to be added to their next order)

Context - #8, Barrie, antique edge, reverse welt, speedhooks, commando sole, pull tab (same as Alden Madison makeup except for the pull tab, Context will be ordering this again so reach out to them)

Alden of Carmel - #8, Trubalance, antique edge, flat welt, speedhooks, commando sole (email Adam to find out about being added to the order, boots arrive Fall 2016)

Alden SF - #8, Trubalance, dark brown edge, flat welt, speedhooks, commando sole (out of stock, call to find out about availability or waitlist)

TheShoeMart - #8, Aberdeen, dark brown edge, flat welt, all eyelets, leather sole (email or call to find out about being added to the waitlist)

 

Here are the different vendors/makeups for the #8 PCT boot:

J.Crew PCT - #8, Barrie, dark brown edge, flat welt, speedhooks, leather sole, side stitch, no pinking along the captoe (limited stock available)

TheShoeMart - #8, Grant, dark brown edge, flat welt, all eyelets, leather sole, pinking along the captoe, no side stitch (some stock available)

post #119440 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelover View Post

I am preparing to buy a pair of Alden Shell Boots. I have been saving for a long time and this will be, most likely, once in a lifetime purchase. I need some help on choosing the right boot, style, color, etc. Recommendations with pictures would be great.


Now that we know you want it to be versatile (both casual/work, jeans/chinos).  You mentioned a color 8 NST, which the Leffot 8 tanker is a popular make up, but could be more 'casual' with the antique edging.  There's also a color 8 NST on Plaza last & commando sole from J.Gilbert.  Some other recommendations to consider:

 

color 8 wingtip boot on Barrie last

color 8 J.Crew captoe boot on Barrie last

color 8 captoe boot on Grant last (The Shoe Mart)

color 8 Indy boot on Plaza last (Frans Boone)

 

So lots of options to pick from, all versatile, it just comes down to personal preference.

 

edit: pretty much what @JSO1 suggests

post #119441 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post
 

 

Well, Color 8 is definitely where you want to be, both for availability reasons but also because it's probably the most versatile shell color Alden offers. Plus, you get a much wider variety of styles.

 

In terms of which style specifically, I would suggest looking for something in between the full wingtip boot and a simple cap toe boot. In that sense, the NST/tanker or PCT boots are good options. Either will still be dressy enough to wear with some slacks but should still casual enough for nice denim. The NST/tanker is also one of the coolest Alden models and is one of the most time-consuming to make, and it's offered in many different makeups, whereas the PCT boot is only offered by two vendors (J.Crew and TheShoeMart), to my knowledge, so it's more limited in design options.

 

Here are the different vendors/makeups for the #8 NST/tanker boot:

Leffot - #8, Barrie, antique edge, flat welt, speedhooks, commando sole (they usually do a preorder in the late spring)

Alden of Madison - #8, Barrie, antique edge, reverse welt, speedhooks, commando sole (call them to be added to their next order)

Context - #8, Barrie, antique edge, reverse welt, speedhooks, commando sole, pull tab (same as Alden Madison makeup except for the pull tab, Context will be ordering this again so reach out to them)

Alden of Carmel - #8, Trubalance, antique edge, flat welt, speedhooks, commando sole (email Adam to find out about being added to the order, boots arrive Fall 2016)

Alden SF - #8, Trubalance, dark brown edge, flat welt, speedhooks, commando sole (out of stock, call to find out about availability or waitlist)

TheShoeMart - #8, Aberdeen, dark brown edge, flat welt, all eyelets, leather sole (email or call to find out about being added to the waitlist)

 

Here are the different vendors/makeups for the #8 PCT boot:

J.Crew PCT - #8, Barrie, dark brown edge, flat welt, speedhooks, leather sole, side stitch, no pinking along the captoe (limited stock available)

TheShoeMart - #8, Grant, dark brown edge, flat welt, all eyelets, leather sole, pinking along the captoe, no side stitch (some stock available)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Magat View Post
 


Now that we know you want it to be versatile (both casual/work, jeans/chinos).  You mentioned a color 8 NST, which the Leffot 8 tanker is a popular make up, but could be more 'casual' with the antique edging.  There's also a color 8 NST on Plaza last & commando sole from J.Gilbert.  Some other recommendations to consider:

 

color 8 wingtip boot on Barrie last

color 8 J.Crew captoe boot on Barrie last

color 8 captoe boot on Grant last (The Shoe Mart)

color 8 Indy boot on Plaza last (Frans Boone)

 

So lots of options to pick from, all versatile, it just comes down to personal preference.

 

edit: pretty much what @JSO1 suggests


Thanks for the direction. Now to do some research on lasts, etc...

post #119442 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelover View Post


As I had stated, these will be my lone pair, so they need to be versatile enough to wear with jeans, chinos, slacks. I am leaning toward a color 8 NST, but have just started to look.

If you want versatile I think the only answer is the model 4060 captoe boot in Color8 shell. The color 8 NST is nice, but stay away from models with antique (light tan) edges as I feel these severely take away from it's versatility. Just my .02.

post #119443 of 122416

JR Magat nailed it. And I agree with tifosi, the dark edge will be the most versatile.

post #119444 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

If you want versatile I think the only answer is the model 4060 captoe boot in Color8 shell. The color 8 NST is nice, but stay away from models with antique (light tan) edges as I feel these severely take away from it's versatility. Just my .02.
yes, the 4060 is the best. nst may not look good with suit.
The franboone store bras eyelet version is just the best answer.
post #119445 of 122416

+1 for the 4060 as being probably the most versatile. Its why I got it as my first shell anything from alden, and it'd be the one I'd keep if I had to limit myself to just one shell boot/shoe. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.