Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 6:57 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7950post #119236 of 12241611/6/15 at 3:56pmpost #119237 of 12241611/6/15 at 4:29pmpost #119238 of 12241611/6/15 at 4:33pmpost #119239 of 12241611/6/15 at 4:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by what whale
Semi off topic but hey: I'm considering a pair of Indy boots (natural CXL) but also see a nice selection of Viberg service boots (2030 last)—brown CXL with a straight cap toe, color 8 CXL with a perforated cap toe and an interesting "iced mocha" CXL, which looks like a darker natural CXL, PTB. All have brass hardware.
I work in a business casual environment most days & either boot would be fine with chinos, cords, Oxford shirts, etc.
Can anyone weigh the pros and cons of these two boots? I realize it's an Alden thread but how's the construction comparison? The 2030 looks a bit sleeker than the TruBalance last though I've reading sizing is the same. Really any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Go with whichever you like best...Viberg is a a notch above Alden in construction however I own both and since the hardest thing you will probably be doing in them is bellying up to the coffee counter get whichever style you like best. You will be happy with either one.post #119240 of 12241611/6/15 at 6:22pmpost #119241 of 12241611/6/15 at 6:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by MrDV
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)thank you for the kind words gentlemen.
very nice boots sazon, love the modifications.
great long wings Uncle Mac. Really like the marcoliani combo.
thank youpost #119242 of 12241611/6/15 at 6:26pmpost #119243 of 12241611/6/15 at 6:27pmpost #119244 of 12241611/6/15 at 6:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by CMT1
First time out with the J. Crew PCTs. Before I left, I took a few pre-roll/pre-wear shots.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A few pics of them after being out and about. I forgot how much of a rich purple/eggplant these shine in bright sunlight.
I couldn't be happier with their fit and ultimate comfort. They felt broken in out of the box and I'm looking forward to them getting even better with age.
I hope everyone has a great weekend!
wear only in good healthpost #119245 of 12241611/6/15 at 6:48pmQuote:
You really get some great patina going on your pairs of footwear! Lots of great mellowing of the color on this pair and yet zero darkening in the creases, what do you use on your shoes and boots for a cleaning/polishing routine, if anything?post #119246 of 12241611/6/15 at 6:51pmpost #119247 of 12241611/6/15 at 7:06pmpost #119248 of 12241611/6/15 at 7:07pmQuote:
I really only wipe them with a damp cloth after (mostly) each wear. I brush every few wearings and only use product every few months or if they've gotten soaked (and allowed to dry). I usually just use neutral colored Reno. My collection is fairly modest at 3 pairs of boots and shoes each, so they're all pretty heavily used throughout the year. I think the frequency of wear has a lot to do with the mellowing. They get a lot of outdoor time, so that probably contributes to their fading a bit. Interestingly, my #8 LWB still retain their dark eggplant color despite heavier wear than some of my other pairs. I always find it interesting how separate pairs age despite beginning as the same color.post #119249 of 12241611/6/15 at 8:09pmpost #119250 of 12241611/6/15 at 10:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by Shawnc
I'm a little late to this but my goodness these are so cool. Could be the angle and/or lighting but these almost look two-tone. Color 6 on the vamp and color 8 on the rest, kind of like saddles. I posted a few days ago that I really don't know what patina is. Well, I think I just witnessed it on a pair, and they are..........Spectacular!Quote:Originally Posted by thams
Much thanks! In a darker room, they don't look as two tone. But in moderate to strong light, they definitely have a somewhat significant contrast. I think all the hide variations made shoes/boots interesting. I prefer my dress shoes to be more uniform, but I'm all about the natural contrasts on more informal models. For me, the patina potential of shell is what draws me to them. This is why color 8 is king!
I'm not usually so easily influenced but I just picked up a pair of AF53's and your post was a significant part of my decision-making process. They ship on Tuesday and I am really looking forward to them. If they patina anything like yours I will be one happy camper.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › NIKE Thread 15 seconds ago
- › Peal & Company Brooks Brothers Shoes 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › WTB: Wings and Horns (Medium, Small, 29, 30) 3 minutes ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 4 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 6 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway